[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he the most influential figure in storytelling? Or would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

File: Shakespeare.jpg (662KB, 1943x2490px) Image search: [Google]
Shakespeare.jpg
662KB, 1943x2490px
Is he the most influential figure in storytelling?

Or would that go to somebody like Homer?
>>
Shakespeare gave the English language hundreds of new words. Homer couldn't even think of a single fucking word to describe the concept of "red."
>>
The top 3 are definitely Shakespeare, Homer, and the guys who wrote the Bible.
>>
File: file.png (33KB, 543x699px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
33KB, 543x699px
>>394454
>tfw if Shakey P hadn't existed we'd have no chocolate Hobnobs

Memes aside though, I do wonder how his audience received things like this. Obviously the form of language would have been easier then, but it must have still been a little confusing. Then again, they were incredibly popular at the time so who knows.
>>
>>394454

He was fucking blind, of course he couldn't.
>>
Which is his best anyway? Hamlet? That seems to be the popular agreement.

Romeo and Juliet seems the most accessible.
>>
>>394473

It's possible that a lot of what he "invented" we just don't have print forms of from earlier, but were established slang at the time. While others are pretty obvious compound words or new forms - i.e. deafening from deaf or deafen, or remorseless from remorse and less. I'm sure he made up some words, but not so many that people couldn't comprehend his plays.
>>
I'd go for whoever wrote the 1001 Nights.

Shakespeare was building on Boccaccio and Chaucer, who were themselves borrowing from the Arabs
>>
>>394515
I see where you're coming from, but I'm not entirely sure I agree that they were the most influential. While Shakespeare may have been inspired by them, I think his stories and storytelling have been more relevant over time.
>>
Nah
Homer sounds about right
Shakespeare is important for the English literature and Anglo saxons rule the world, but its influence in the other European countries doesn't seem that great. At least, I think.
>>
>>394454
Radiolab fag?
>>
>>394504
This. One thing to bear in mind is that Shakespeare was from fairly far away from the cultural centers of England, an his English was a little different from that spoken in London/Oxford/Cambridge.
>>
I can't think of any other stories which still resonate like his, so I think so.
>>
>>394486
the scottish play
>>
>>395272
Fuck off
>>
>>395272
It's Macbeth you memester

It's pretty good though, yeah.
>>
>>394486
Or Othello, King Lear
The guy has like 15 absolute GOAT plays. Reminds me of a quote by Francis Ford Coppola: "One thing that distinguishes Akira Kurosawa that he didn't make a masterpiece or two masterpieces, he made, you know,eight masterpieces."
>>
>>394473
Most of his words came from obvious, easily understood roots which made the meanings of the new words very easy to suss out, or were understandable from the context they were being used in.
>>
>>395347
It's not that he's GOAT as much as it is that the did it all first.
>>
>>395709
>It's not that he's GOAT as much as it is that the did it all first.
He also did it well, which helps a lot. Lots of examples of "this was the first" tend to be used to excuse how bad they are.
>>
File: brit3.png (284KB, 501x800px) Image search: [Google]
brit3.png
284KB, 501x800px
He is the spawn of ANGLO degeneracy plagueing Aryan countries
>>
>>395731
True, I suppose.

I suppose nobody else felt the need to try after he did it all so perfectly.
>>
>>395709
He didn't though. The Greeks did it first. He was just better than them.
Imagine being Shakespeare, and you know that for nearly two thousand years Sophocles, Aeschylus and Euripides in tragedy and Aristophanes in comedy have been held up as the peak of literature, impossible to improve upon. It's unthinkable that anyone could match the masters of the past. It's universally acknowledged that this art form has been perfected, centuries before you were born.
And you think to yourself: 'I can do better'.
Must have been the biggest thrill. Imagine waking up and realising you were better at music than Mozart. Or you were a greater physicist than Newton. I would have loved to have met Shakespeare. He must have known how good he was.
>>
>>394478
>implying Homer was one person
>>
>>394454
Last chapter of the Iliad. He does.
>>
>>394515
>whoever wrote 1001 Arabian Nights.

So literally most major literary circles of Arabia and Persia? Cuz the story only got bigger the more people told it.
>>
He's definitely the greatest English playwright and poet, but you can't very well argue that anyone has had a more universal impact on storytelling in the occidental tradition than the Greeks.
>>
>>394427
>Is he the most influential figure in storytelling?
>Or would that go to somebody like Homer?
>>>/lit/erally
>>
Shakespeare really didn't influence storytelling, he was just really good at it.

People like Sophocles or Aeschylus actually were innovators of theater.
>>
>>394473
>>394454
It's unlikely that Shakespeare invented all of the words he's credited with.

He's probably just the first person to bring those vernacular terms into a written history.

Chaucer was probably the same.
>>
Why does everyone jump on Homer's dick?
Is the original prose a miracle? Or that it's the first novel of significance
>>
>>397042
Chaucer was one of the only people really writing at the time though.
>>
>Germanic peoples are the best story tellers
You know this to be true.
>>
>>397971
That's wrong.
>>
>>395873
I think he is. Both the stories we have have similarities, like cockteasing the main event for half the damn poem (having Odysseus' kid run around before you ever see the guy, Achilles sulking by his ship)

I find most other epic poems tend to be straightforward to the point of bluntness.
>>
>>394427
Cervantes. He pretty much invented the modern novel.
>>
>>394427
>Is he the most influential figure in storytelling?
IMO, Shakespeare's greatness lies in his command of language; his plots have never struck me as particularly groundbreaking.
>>
>>398659
His plots are excellent though.
>>
File: 1448438910714.jpg (700KB, 1000x767px) Image search: [Google]
1448438910714.jpg
700KB, 1000x767px
>>395737
/pol/ pls, get over Dresden
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.