[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How could any philosophy possibly be any better? I get shivers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (24KB, 220x294px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 220x294px
How could any philosophy possibly be any better? I get shivers and get excited working through this mother fuckers philosophy.

He's so fucking right about it all. Live dangerously, seek power, be creative. Become a yes sayer.

Who the fuck is with me?
>>
>>392293
He is definitely one of the all-time greats. Up there with Kant and Plato
>>
>>392301
Yeah except Kant and Plato forgot about the part of their philosophy that's life affirming.
>>
>>392306
>>392293
You're missing out on most of Neitzsche's philosophy if you're a pleb. Especially if you're reading him as some reddit self help guide.
>>
>>392327
>2015
>lecturing total strangers on Nietzsche

Kek this oughtta be good
>>
>>392330
You know might like the website 'Art of Manliness' or 'r/theredpill'
>>
>>392330

Not the same person, but reading him as a self-help guide isn't making you better than the people in heard mentality he talks about.

I can't remember the specific section, but in the gay science he talks about 3 students, one who does everything he tells him, one who does nothing he tells him, and someone who does something in between. The person in the story is disappointed in all of them because they haven't taken Nietzsche word to their heath.
>>
>>392293
Yeah Nietzsche is an apex of philosophy. Know that you now his concepts it's actually pretty to find more philosophers. To find philosophers that came after him simply find the one's that were inspired by him. To find philosophers before Nietzsche simply find the ones that he was inspired by.
>>
The man who cûcked bertrand russell to death.

Fucking crusty old anglos
>>
>be an asshole
nice philosophy bro
>>
>>392293
Nietzsche was a weakling fag. So much for living to your ideals.

As for these ideals, what stuff have been "inspired" by him? The very best think I could cite is perhaps de Chirico and it was very taint.

>Live dangerously, seek power, be creative.
Top kek. Thanks for wishful thinking.

Pic related is an example, among many, of people that actually lived dangerously (going on crusade), found power (in the House of Lords) and was creative (an actual poet unlike Nietzsche).
>>
>>392293
Nietzsche never practiced philosophy. Read Schopenhauer.
>>
Can someone photoshop me up a "why cant i carry all these ad hominems" so i can respond to >>392485 plz. Would be a dank /his/ meme too
>>
>>392485
Yeah, but he wasn't as great as Blake.
>>
>>392497
>ad hominem

Hello reddit
>>
>>392498
Blake was a pretty dope fellow. He supported polyamory.
There should be more people like him.
>>
Someone post the pic of Nietzsche choking a sjw
>>
>>392501
>kek
>>
>>392499
Ironically this too is ad hominem
>>
File: 1448562791194.jpg (44KB, 607x608px) Image search: [Google]
1448562791194.jpg
44KB, 607x608px
>>392504
>>
>>392485
>>392498
In all fairness, the Romantics in general were the rare few who were crazy and ballsy enough to actually follow through on their words.

Compare Nietzsche to any other intellectuals and he's about on par. At least he didn't pretend to try.

>Looking at you Mr. Henry Thoreau
>>
>>392497
Ad hominem aren't as bad when the main contention of Nietzsche is about self assertion.
Would you take seriously a man that write a book about self help that doesn't follow his own creed? Because Nietzsche is like that.

>>392514
The Romantics weren't alone by any means.
Pic related. Great poet, corresponded with emperors, risked martyr many times and didn't give a single fuck.

Even many contemporaries of Nietzsche easily fill the bill. To only mention poets as I've posted one, there is Baudelaire (abolute madman going on overdose before it was mainstream, deals with the mob, is often credited with launching not one but two movements) or Rimbaud (weapon seller in war torn parts of Africa dealing with local potentate and muzzies going caliphate).
Hell, General Patton is probably he man that fits the bill most perfectly in recent times.
Note also (for trigering power of Nietzsche fanboys) that those cited were all raging Christfags.
>>
File: Tertullian.jpg (1MB, 1181x1424px) Image search: [Google]
Tertullian.jpg
1MB, 1181x1424px
>>392920
>pic related
Better with pic attached.
>>
>>392920

>Note also (for trigering power of Nietzsche fanboys) that those cited were all raging Christfags.

Nietzche pointed out a similar hypocrisy amongst militant German Christians of his time. So triggering? Not really.
>>
Didn't Nietzsche end his life as a miserable wreck?
>>
File: nietzsche final form.jpg (526KB, 950x715px) Image search: [Google]
nietzsche final form.jpg
526KB, 950x715px
>>393182
just a ruse to escape talkshows
>>
>>392339
Huh? Why are you accusing me of that?
>>
>>392293
Fruit
3 ways
Ponies
>>
I find it hard to take his stuff serious when you know he was a beta cvck.
>>
>>393799
You're a beta kuk tbqh pham
>>
>>393194
My pain and my compassion!
What matter of it!
Do then I strive after happiness?
I strive after my work!

Taken from chapter 80, The Sign.
>>
>>392511
>The strong must be protected from the weak.
Isn't this basically the default ideology in America today, that those who are hard-working and talented need the government to keep the poor and the nigs from exploiting their hard-work?
>>
>>392485
>weakling fag
>who wrote some of the most life-affirming and fuck yeah shit in recorded history

fuck off
>>
In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the highest and most mendacious minute of "world history"—yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die.

One might invent such a fable and still not have illustrated sufficiently how wretched, how shadowy and flighty, how aimless and arbitrary, the human intellect appears in nature. There have been eternities when it did not exist; and when it is done for again, nothing will have happened. For this intellect has no further mission that would lead beyond human life. It is human, rather, and only its owner and producer gives it such importance, as if the world pivoted around it. Just as every porter wants an admirer, the proudest human being, the philosopher, thinks that he sees on the eyes of the universe telescopically focused from all sides on his actions and thoughts.

It is strange that this should be the effect of the intellect, for after all it was given only as an aid to the most unfortunate, most delicate, most evanescent beings in order to hold them for a minute in existence, from which otherwise, without this gift, they would have every reason to flee as quickly as Lessing's son. [In a famous letter to Johann Joachim Eschenburg (December 31, 1778), Lessing relates the death of his infant son, who "understood the world so well that he left it at the first opportunity."] That haughtiness which goes with knowledge and feeling, which shrouds the eyes and senses of man in a blinding fog, therefore deceives him about the value of existence by carrying in itself the most flattering evaluation of knowledge itself. Its most universal effect is deception; but even its most particular effects have something of the same character.
>>
>>394312
A state, is called the coldest of all cold monsters. Coldly lieth it also; and this lie creepeth from its mouth: "I, the state, am the people."

It is a lie! Creators were they who created peoples, and hung a faith and a love over them: thus they served life.

Destroyers, are they who lay snares for many, and call it the state: they hang a sword and a hundred cravings over them.

Where there is still a people, there the state is not understood, but hated as the evil eye, and as sin against laws and customs.

This sign I give unto you: every people speaketh its language of good and evil: this its neighbour understandeth not. Its language hath it devised for itself in laws and customs.

But the state lieth in all languages of good and evil; and whatever it saith it lieth; and whatever it hath it hath stolen.

False is everything in it; with stolen teeth it biteth, the biting one. False are even its bowels.
>>
>>392339
I know next to nothing about Nietzsche but is his disappointment due to the fact they're all basing their actions in what he wills rather than what they will of themselves?
>>
>>392920
>Because Nietzsche is like that.

How so? He was a sickly individual and followed his passion (writing) to the best of his ability. Considering power important doesn't require being powerful.
>>
>>397034
Also Nietzsche had power. He even bragged about during his last writings when they were getting popular. His power was the ability to influence people. That's the power of the pen.
>>
>>392293
>No Hegel or Heidegger
please come back when you have actually read some philosophy
Nietzsche often doesn't back his arguments.
>>
>>395116
NO GODS NO KINGS RON PAUL 2008
>>
Imagine if every single human being would live according to his philosophy
>>
Nietzsche is compelling stuff but he's not really a philosopher (I think he would agree with me here too), he's more like a poet or a blogger or something. A guy with interesting and well-educated opinions.
>>
>>400090
I hate when someone thinks like this.
>>
>>394332
Going apeshit about staying alive and not facing inevitability of death and extinction and the crumminess of existence for all is weak.
>>
>>400108
lack of system doesnt mean lack of philosophy.
he thought that a full system was pretentious, for example when somebody claimed to have figured out all art, out of necessity to complete his system.
so he just dropped his thoughts here and there, aesthetics, ethics, opera, ...
while bouncing off his ideas from existing philosophies, for example how he turned around kant's aesthetics from audience to creator.
>>
>>400090
I'd imagine it would go pretty alright.
>>
Question: Are there any famous rebuttals or criticisms of Stoicism?
>>
>>400108
You're joking, right?
>>
I'd wager that if I had a penny for every two people in this thread who agree on Nietzsche, I'd owe hiroyuki $4.
>>
>>400427
If you aren't strong enough to make a life worth living for, you don't deserve to say you live at all.
>>
I heard Nietzsche smoked hasish, among other things.

How does this fit given his opposition to alcohol as a way of avoiding life?
>>
>>392293
>Live dangerously, seek power, be creative
Yes anon, treat philosophy as a self-help book.
Ayy lmao
Also Nietzsche looks weird without facial hair
>>
>>401954
he also took opium. almost OD'd in 1882 because of Lou
>how does this fit...
nigga pls
>>
File: tfw started with the greeks.jpg (103KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
tfw started with the greeks.jpg
103KB, 400x500px
>>401961
http://www.lexido.com/EBOOK_TEXTS/THE_WANDERER_AND_HIS_SHADOW_.aspx?S=5
There exists a simulated contempt for all the things that mankind actually holds most important, for all everyday matters. For instance, we say "we only eat to live" — an abominable lie, like that which speaks of the procreation of children as the real purpose of all sexual pleasure. Conversely, the reverence for "the most important things" is hardly ever quite genuine. The priests and metaphysicians have indeed accustomed us to a hypocritically exaggerated use of words regarding these matters, but they have not altered the feeling that these most important things are not so important as those despised "everyday matters”. A fatal consequence of this twofold hypocrisy is that we never make these everyday matters (such as eating, housing, clothes, and intercourse) the object of a constant unprejudiced and universal reflection and revision, but, as such a process appears degrading, we divert from them our serious intellectual and artistic side.
>>
>muh strenght
>muh power
>muh competition
>muh feelings
>yeah dude you gotta be dangerous in life fucking yoloswag bro
>muh hatred for everyone and everything
>scientifical basis? who needs it?

Why would anyone take this hack seriously?
>>
>>400108

I get the intuition. He never really makes a proper case for his positions, he kind of just asserts them and maybe launches a few ad hominems against others who would disagree. It isn't really the stuff the philosophy is made of. On the other hand he really does deal with philosophical themes and has some profound philosophical insights.
>>
>>401993
>FUCK EATING YOUR BODY DOESN'T TRULY NEED IT, IT'S ALL A LIE
>JUST DO THINGS BRO #YOLO
>>
>>401993
Kind of reminds me of Doc Brown
>>
>>401999
>muh hatred for everyone and everything

Confirmed for never having read Nietzsche.
>>
>>402018
he was a misanthrope in his later life
>>
>>402020
How could that be? He was totally opposed to resentment and hatred.
>>
>>402013
Did you even read it?
>>
>>402028
he's literally saying that things like eating or having a house aren't that important and they slow us down from ''being creative''
>>
>>402034
No, he's saying we view everyday activities as unimportant, bothersome, and degrading so we never put any improvement or creativity into our way of doing them.
>>
>>401999
>yeah dude you gotta be dangerous in life fucking yoloswag bro

You've got to take risks and suffer hardship to accomplish your aims and actualize yourself as an individual. I'm not sure why people have difficulty with this concept.

Frankly, I don't understand why a philosophy that largely boils down to "be honest with yourself about what you want and strive to be the person you actually wish to be" raises so much dander. Is it the acknowledgement that power is an important part of every day life?

>>402013
That's not what's being said. He's say that we don't eat just to survive, we eat for pleasure, and then tell ourselves its simply a matter of survival.
>>
>>401881
Nietzsche's had some pointers against them.

>>402034
The man ate 7 pounds of fruit every day. You think dieting is a mother fucking game to him? When is the last time you ate something healthy?
>>
How would Nietzsche's philosophy handle someone who needed some form of psychiatric medication to function?
>>
>>402147
nothing that would deviate from contemporary common sense
>>
>>402204
So, it wouldn't fall under his reservations about alcohol then?
>>
>>402210
contrary to prejudice, alcohol doesnt unlock a dionysian mode of being, only a limited fragment, that was his critique i think. different than drugs that help you maximize your awareness.
>>
>>402245
>alcohol doesn't unlock a mod named after a god who was associated with wine

I find that kind of humorous. What is the Dionysian mode of being?
>>
>>402210
He hated alcohol because he saw it as a way to retreat away from one's problem. You can escape reality for a few minutes rather than dealing with your problems like a man. Nietzsche was also kind of a health-nut so he might have disliked it for that reason too.

There's nothing in his philosophy that says a mentally ill person shouldn't get treatment. On the contrary wallowing in one's own sickness is anti-Nietzchian.

>>402456
It's being fully aware and guided by healthy instincts and passions. A good example would be one is fully captivated by something Wagner's symphony. You become drunk with passion and it elevates, motivates.
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 301x167px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 301x167px
>>392293
>Live dangerously, seek power, be creative. Become a yes sayer.
>>
>>401881
stirner blows them out of the water pretty early in his book.
>>
>>402034
>>402013
You have the reading comprehension of someone with severe brain damage.
>>
>>402067
>Frankly, I don't understand why a philosophy that largely boils down to "be honest with yourself about what you want and strive to be the person you actually wish to be" raises so much dander. Is it the acknowledgement that power is an important part of every day life?
It's a philosophy that puts the agency of your hands, so when you fail or fuck up you are responsible. People don't want that responsibility.
>>
>>403582
agency in*
>>
>>403582
I get the feeling that this is a common distaste for individualist philosophies.
>>
Nietzsche's philosophy is good on the micro level but shit on the macro level.

It works as a collection of individual observations but all his attempts as 'big ideas' (Superman, Will To Power, Eternal Recurrence) are crap.
>>
>becoming a slave to your passions
>a good thing
>>
>>405590
You might call them... Spooks.
>>
>>403576
>blow the fuck out
>doesn't say how
If you're just going to Stirner fanboy then talk about spooks or something.
>>
>>405927
Why not call out the Nietzsche guy as well then? :^)

It's literally about spooks though, since stoicism is based on ideals that are outside of the self.
>>
>>405940
Stoicism is not about spooks, though. It's about being concerned with only what you can do and not what you can't. Their later metaphysical ideas and concepts of morality might be considered spooks, but even if they were discarded the philosophy would stay mostly the same.
>>
>>405590
>muh reason and logic
>adjusts bowtie
>sips tea
>>
>>405590
The joke is that you can never escape your subconscious. NEVER it's always there controlling you, that's what our science has told us.

Nietzsche figured this out before. Your body says "feel pain here" it happens.

There for rather than trying to pretend the passions do not exist Nietzsche says they should be weaponized.
>>
>>405957
Not that guy, but I'd say that Stoicism itself, if you use the disciplines within it to your benefit, to drive yourself forward and deal better with the world (and indeed, it can be helpful in this regard) then you're not putting an external ideal ahead of yourself. It's only when you start getting into the parts that condemn leisure, or necessitate service to society as a whole that would start conflicting with Stirner's philosophy.

I'm something of a Stirner fanboy, and all told I really quite like Stoicism, since it seems to possess some ideas that would provide someone a useful framework with which to better manage their lives.
>>
>>404342
>It works as a collection of individual observations but all his attempts as 'big ideas' (Superman, Will To Power, Eternal Recurrence) are crap.

Why do people make statements like this in discussions about philosophy? The opinion itself is fine, but it really doesn't further a discussion about philosophy to say this without some meat to it. I want to know why you think they're crap.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.