[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why haven't I seen this guy brought up in a discussion in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 1024px-HoratioNelson1.jpg (244KB, 1024x1234px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-HoratioNelson1.jpg
244KB, 1024x1234px
Why haven't I seen this guy brought up in a discussion in like 3 years? I honestly think the last time I remembered him was when I crossed the pond and was literally standing in front of his column.

I am only posting about this cause I remember countless times as a kid hearing that this guy was GOAT for early 19th century naval warfare, but I find it strange how theres hardly a whisper of his name.

Was he even that great?
>>
File: 1428532208662.jpg (31KB, 456x320px) Image search: [Google]
1428532208662.jpg
31KB, 456x320px
It's amazing that a lot of people did great things at such a young age back then. I'm in my mid 20s and have been going through a huge existential crisis realizing what your average citizen at my age would have accomplished over 100 years ago. JUST is all I can say about myself.
>>
Following his victory at the Battle of Trafalgar, Horatio Nelson's body was preserved in a cask of brandy to allow transport back to England. Upon arrival, however, the cask was opened and found to be empty of brandy. The pickled body was removed and, upon inspection, it was discovered that the sailors had drilled a hole in the bottom of the cask and drunk all the brandy. Thus, this tale serves as a basis for the term "Nelson's blood" being used to describe brandy. It also serves as the basis for the term tapping the admiral being used to describe surreptitiously sucking liquor from a cask through a straw. The details of the story are disputed, as many historians claim the cask contained French brandy, whilst others claim instead the term originated from a toast to Admiral Nelson. Variations of the story, involving different notable corpses, have been in circulation for many years. The official record states merely that the body was placed in "refined spirits" and does not go into further detail.
>>
>>374452
Are you me?

I know it's the cliche of all historical cliches, but after a thread here a while back I ended up reading a lot more about Alexander, and then realized he had already conquered Persia at my age.

>tfw you will never overextend Darius's flank and lead your cavalry in a glorious charge into his center
>tfw no Parmenian to be your wingman
>tfw you'll never weep because there are no more worlds to conquer
>>
>>374452
To be fair, if you lived in Europe, all you would probably accomplish 100 years ago is a horrible death in the western front.
>>
The bloke who got me into history. Got chills as a 19 year old whilst standing in the same place he fought and died
>>
>>374440
>Was he even that great?

He was responsible for Britain controlling the sea for 100 years.
>>
Did he lose like 5/11 battles he was ever in?
>>
File: nelson.png (577KB, 1618x865px) Image search: [Google]
nelson.png
577KB, 1618x865px
>>374440
5 battles lost out of 11 battles fought
The only word that come to mind is "meh"
>>
>>375061
In the sea?
>>
>>377111
I never heard people saying nelson was a fantastic tactitian as much as a more heroic/mythic figure for his sheer iron will and his guts. I don't think it exactly destroys him to show that he didn't win all the time, it's not supposed to be what he's known for.
>>
Reminder that Nelson lost the three wars he took part in (American Revolution, French Revolutionary Wars, War of the Third Coalition)
>>
>>374452

People also lived a lot shorter lives back then, and were considered to be adults much sooner. I'm sure over 100 years ago you too would have been accomplishing great things at your age... and by "accomplishing great things", I mean working your ass off at some physically demanding and potentially dangerous job so that you can support your wife and four kids, with the fifth coming soon to incease the burden (but no problem, your current youngest one is so sick she probably won't see next spring, so it all evens out).
>>
>>374700

>tfw you will never go down on Hephaestion in a tent on the banks of the Hydaspes

Seriously though, being ambitious is good to a certain extent, but you really shouldn't get bent out of shape because you won't live up to the achievements of a guy who was born into luxury and had basically everything prepared for him by his dad.
>>
Based Cochrane was cooler IMO
>>
>>377111
if he's really that shit, what does it say about Napoleon then?
>>
>>375061

On the quarterdeck of HMS Victory, there is a large brass plaque which reads "HERE FELL NELSON."

I'm not surprised, I tripped over it myself.

/grand-dad's favourite joke.
//RIP grand-dad.
>>
>>377421
Are you retarded?
Napoleon has a way higher victory/defeat ratio
>>
>>377111
Those are all little skirmishes on land. Every major battle he fought at sea involving big fleets he won, generally by a crushing margin.
>>
>>377453
and will always be known as having continually lost to a man with 1 arm who was considered 'meh'.
>>
>>377593
Are you dense or something?
Napoleon and Nelson never faced each others, you monkey
>>
>>377756
by that logic westmoreland never lost nam.
>>
>>377857
Are you comparing wars to battles?
Because Nelson lost all his wars

The only war Nelson took part in that had Napoleon ruling France was the War of the Third Coalition, ad France won it
>>
>>374452
You didn't have it when you were a teenager? It seems a bit late.
>>
>>377933
and the end result is the tiny frog being sent to an island to think about what he's done wrong, where he dies a sad and lonely life.

anglo victory as usual.
>>
>>378025
anglo is eternally victorious
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.