[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You wake up tomorrow and find yourself having been transported

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 15

You wake up tomorrow and find yourself having been transported 1000 years back in time. What information could you impart to the people then that would actually be useful to them?

I'm guessing just about nothing.
>>
>>371372
>I'm guessing just about nothing.

Pretty much this. First of all, I can't communicate with them. Assuming I can learn to speak to them, any half assed explanations I can offer to them would just be laughed off anyway.
>>
For the sake of argument, disregard the problem of learning their language.
>>
>>371372
nothing that wouldn't earn me a trip to the inquisition gallows, such as "magically curing fevers"
so innawoods it is
>>
>>371385

The inquisition didn't exist a thousand years ago.

They also knew what medicine was and didn't hang people for doing it.
>>
>>371372
I can't speak their language.
If I did they'd think I'm a fucking madman.

Doesn't matter too much because I'm covered in diseases they aren't immune to yet so I probably just started another plague.
>>
>>371384

Where is the fun then?
>>
I know gunpowder is a combination of carbon (charcoal), sulphur, and saltpeter... problem is I wouldn't know what saltpeter was if it was right in front of me.

I could give them the general genera germ theory, but I'm not sure what they could really do with that.

I could tell them how an internal combustion engine works, and a steam engine, and even give them the general idea of refining petroleum, but I don't think metallurgy was up to that and I couldn't help them there.

...would be a really frustrating situation.
>>
>>371385
>magically curing fever
>implying you know how to create penicillin
>>
Realistically, nothing. I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not enough to actually do anything with most of it.
>>
Only thing I can really think of is I could teach them about hygiene, the importance of washing your hands etc. Don't think they would believe me though.
>>
>>371421
who said anything about penicillin you scienticist
i know reiki and shit
>>
File: TheRedQueen.jpg (35KB, 315x480px) Image search: [Google]
TheRedQueen.jpg
35KB, 315x480px
>>371403
Much much more likely they'd have load of diseases you aren't immune to.
>>
>>371431
This.
>>
>>371372
>I'm guessing just about nothing.

This, people rarely figure how pyramidally knowledge is built up.

If, for example, you wanted to impart the knowledge of cars unto the people of middle ages in hopes of them actually using a car, you'd also have to explain the whole production process, from modern techniques in mine construction and usage, to modern metallurgy, to rubber manufacture, to oil extration, to steel production and so on and so on...
>>
>>371434
>>371372

on the other hand, I am fairly confident I'd be able to bring them up on physics and mathematics to at least Newtonian levels, with bits from the 18th century, given a few decades to construct it all up and work out various minutae
>>
If you were transported back ~500 years to Europe you could be quite helpful in drawing them a map of the world.
>>
>>371454
Really what could you teach them?

You don't think there were plenty of folks at the time who had a better mind for maths than you do?
>>
>>371457
Now that's an interesting prospect. Could also give them a basic who's who about a lot of places.
>>
>>371467
>You don't think there were plenty of folks at the time who had a better mind for maths than you do?

Well certainly, but I did study physics and have a somewhat detailed knowledge on the various theorems and theories that weren't yet postulated until later on.
It's not about pure capability, it's about having an original idea based upon previous ideas, whereas I cheated by being from the future.
>>
>>371486
That's basically the only time period I can think of where a time traveler would be of any value at all.
>>
>>371499
What could you tell them that would be of immediate practical value?

I could explain to them general relativity, or gravy, or the speed of light, or the atomic theory, etc, etc. but I don't see what they could do with any of it, or why they'd have any reason to believe me about any of it.
>>
I have a physics degree and a habit for learning a lot of shit I don't need to know, so actually I might be able to help out a lot.
>>
>>371431
What if I get all my 3rd world shots before embarking?
>>
Where the English speaking an intelligible language by this point?
>>
>>371522
>that would be of immediate practical value?

I misread OP to an extent it seems...
At any rate I'd mostly do it in hopes the knowledge actually remains around and I get Newton/Einstein tier historical recognition.

In terms of OP and usefulness, I guess I'd be able to advise the poortuguese on the astrolabe, caravel construction and help them adopt the lateen sails sooner.
Getting an americas expedition funded so soon on the other hand...

Also, I might be able to work out some loom designs to help speed up industrialisation?

Maybe try to figure out the printing press, doesn't seem THAT complicated...
>>
>>371377
Humans pick up languages pretty quickly when they are thrown into the thick of it.
>>
>>371552
Diseases evolve and change over time (extremely rapidly actually). The diseases back then would be extremely different from anything around today; you'd basically be bubble-boy-tier fucked.
>>
Nothing. I'd die right away from the atmosphere I'm not used to.
>>
Geography, make a shitton of maps of the world that are hella accurate compared to others
Become a scribe and invent the book press, write down everything i know
Eventually i might get a hold of some land thanks to my information, force everyone to use hygiene and other things.
>>
>>371573
>Getting an americas expedition funded so soon on the other hand...
First off, do you know anything about ship building? It took another 500 years before anyone was confident enough in the seaworthiness of ships and navigation tools to venture into the Atlantic.

Second, I hope you share Germ Theory with the Europeans before leaving. We wouldn't want another full blown Great Dying if we can avoid it.
>>
>>371573
Don't know anything about looms, but the movable-type printing press seems like it could be useful, and easy enough to explain and make. I have to wonder why that wasn't invented millennia before it was.
>>
>>371583
Not if I have shots for all the bad ones. I'd get sick but they wouldn't kill me.
>>
Honestly I probably wouldn't want to risk altering the timeline.
>>
>>371590
Unless you're talking trans-oceanic voyages of discovery, what geography are you going to impart that they aren't already well aware of?
>>
>>371573
What use would all that textile tech be before Europe had all that Indian cotton flowing in?
>>
File: Christian-krohg-leiv-eriksson.jpg (2MB, 2000x1302px) Image search: [Google]
Christian-krohg-leiv-eriksson.jpg
2MB, 2000x1302px
>>371592
>implying the Americas weren't sailed to by Europeans 1000 years ago.
>>
>>371609
Map of the world, i cant make small maps that are accurate, but a global one i can.
>>
>>371600
Whatever shots you'd get are for current diseases. The diseases back then would be different.
>>
>>371618
What use would this be, and what proof could you even offer that it was accurate (any schitso back then could have drawn a world map with as much authority)
>>
>>371624
>Whatever shots you'd get are for current diseases. The diseases back then would be different.
Dude, cowpox inoculates you against smallpox. You don't need the exact copy of the pandemic causing disease. You just need a something close to it.
>>
>>371636
I have knowledge about many things that they wouldnt know of yet, surely that would back me up.
>>
>>371618
What are the rulers of the middle ages going to do with that information?

It's not like they even could sail to America even if they 1. Believed you 2. Wanted to.

Well Norsemen could go there via Greenland but they managed that without you anyway.

At most your map would create wonder when discovered by historians 1000 years later.
>>
>>371617
Yeah, if you want to go through the miserable Northern route.
>>
>>371569
Late-Old Early Middle in 1015
You'd get by
>>
>>371642
There would have been diseases around then that are totally gone now. Smallpox is a good example.

Seriously, The Red Queen (book) is really enlightening in terms of how much of a treadmill evolution is: the details are always changing, even if on the surface things look the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Queen_hypothesis
>>
>>371645
You might have convinced some Kind of Denmark to get serious about 'Vinland'.
>>
>>371658
That's why I mentioned going out of your way to get the obscure inoculations before leaving.
>>
>>371569
>>371656
They hadnt even gotten normanised yet, ironically, Brits would have the hardest time communicating compared to other modern germanics.
>>
>>371658
*look the same
>>
>>371598
It had a cooperative effect with protestantism.

The printing press was actually invented long before by the chinese and they also printed huge volumes of their encyclopedia and other works.
But there were issues with the writing system, which is a topic in itself.

On the other hand, the discovery of the printing press in europe coencided with the rise of protestantism and those pesky heretics printed bibles, leaflets, catechisms and whatnot like absolute madmen.
One helped spread the other and vice versa.

>>371616
fair point, although englizsh sheep n shieet :^)
>>
>>371679
The most useful thing you could print have have been simply readers to teach people literacy.
>>
>>371668
There are other places to get logs, places without hostile natives. I just don't see sufficient incentive for them.
>>
>>371693
It (North America) is a HUGE, fertile country you could settle people and lord over.

It's a long-term play for sure, but considering the marginal places the Norse were settling, to let them know there were temperate lands within reach would have been of interest for sure.
>>
File: abecednik.jpg (62KB, 352x480px) Image search: [Google]
abecednik.jpg
62KB, 352x480px
>>371690
see:
>and whatnot
>>
Also niggers, OPTICAL TELEGRAPH

Im sure whatever king i bring this invention would be very thankful the lightning fast communication i have brought
>>
File: Gregor_Mendel_oval.jpg (227KB, 800x1013px) Image search: [Google]
Gregor_Mendel_oval.jpg
227KB, 800x1013px
I'd give some ideas about recessive and dominant genes. I just need peas to prove it's working as I'm saying, and it'll help them enhance their crops.

I'll tell them about the backblow + Heimlich maneuver for chocking people. Probably could teach them a recovery position for unconscious people.

I'd finally try to explain what a logarithm table is, as an efficient tool to do additions instead of multiplications.
>>
>>371715
How would you do this?

They already would have known about signal flags, which is probably the best way to do it given the technology at the time.
>>
>>371715
not a bad idea

actually, a semi competent engineer might be able explain an actual electrical telegraph, coils, coaxial cables and the works, copper production was already old news at the time and electricity production for a simple telehraph isn't too hard, with some basic water turbine usage
>>
>>371739
Getting a permanent magnet for your generator would be the difficult part.
>>
>>371609
Critical and post colonial modern Geography, gonna nip the colonialism problem in the bud and 1000 years later Aztecs will be doing human sacrifices on the moon. I will unite the German people under one flag 800 years sooner.
>>
I would tell people to plan the cities better and not throw the trash outside the window.
>>
>>371786
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lodestone

Might not be the best thing, but it could possibly work.
>>
>>371522
>I could explain to them general relativity, or gravy, or the speed of light, or the atomic theory, etc, etc.
>I could explain to them... gravy.
You would save the world from two world wars, because when you traveled back to the future, you'd find everybody to be just like the people in Wall-E.
>>
>>371725
>I'd give some ideas about recessive and dominant genes. I just need peas to prove it's working as I'm saying, and it'll help them enhance their crops.
is there actually such an application for this theory
>>
>>371372
>go back 1000 years
>1015 AD
>I have 51 years to alter the Battle of Hastings

I fucking got this
>>
>immediate practical value
Hm. Dunno much off the top of my head. Maybe something about building an construction.

Other than that, while not immediate, a good warning about Marx and Stalin and whatnot would be helpful.
>>
>>371372
STOP THE FUCKING TURKS

PLEASE AT ALL COSTS STOP THE FUCKING TURKS PLEASE

YOU KNOW NOT THE DAMAGE YOU INFLICT WITH YOUR INACTION
>>
>>371881
Help the Saxons btfo William of Normandy
>>
>>371894
Meant for>>371855
>>
unite the native American tribes under one banner and give them whatever I can to advance them technology wise.

Or die because there's no one there, I'm not quite sure of the population of Michigan in 1015.
>>
>>371372
industrialization would start about 1000 years earlier. for starters, hydro power (water wheels) to begin creating powered machines (hydraulics) that would revolutionize many industries of the medieval word. probably begin a few as well. windmills could probably also be employed for similar concepts. this would eventually work it's way into assembly line development, but that's still a ways off.

The Americas (both north and south) would be discovered about 500 years earlier. as well as some serious exploration of the "dark continent" (Africa). all three continents would then of course be exploited for the development of an entire merchant empire that would soon span the globe. especially after the introduction of the....

STEAMBOAT!!! seriously the steam engine wasn't really that complex of a concept that a reasonably intelligent person can't figure out. it's really just a loop of high pressure steam that is fueled by a heat source.

the turbine happens to function on similar methods for a lot of it's power. by that I mean that it employs steam to turn the magnets that then pull electrons along a path, eventually pushing said electricity due to the amount of power behind it. I'll probably introduce this idea in my later years.

once the steam power is covered, it's on to internal combustion power. that's actually a fairly simple concept as well. the only difficulty past steam is refining the oil in a fashion that would be usable. thankfully diesel engines were originally able to run on anything that burns.

the basics of flight proved to be simple once the wright brothers showed us how. basic ornithopters would not take too long. then once the internal combustion engine was mastered, transcontinental flights would soon follow.

finally with flight, I would simply travel to china to acquire the recipe for proper gun powder, travel back to Europe and then proceed to develop the tank.
world wide empire would then commence.
>>
Well, I'm an Engineer, so modern Calculus and Algebra would be useful. Well, most maths created in the last few hundred years would need to be established. I know how to make a steam engine, alternator, generator, internal combustion engine, batteries, etc. Certain scientific concepts would also help even if they couldn't yet apply them effectively. Probably medical knowledge, and germ theory, etc. Physics theories I'm well versed in. Scientific laws. Geography of the world.

It would be hard to implement the SI units though. Like almost impossible.
>>
>>371935
>I know how to make a steam engine, alternator, generator, internal combustion engine, batteries, etc.

I really really doubt you could make any of these things front scratch without air of any modern technology.
>>
>>371955
...even if, after working on it for years, you managed to make a crude steam engine, the people would be like "so what? my horse is 10x more powerful than that thing, and didn't take all that effort to build"
>>
>>371917
after reviewing the thread, I am required to include the printing press.
>>
>>371955
Batteries would be the hardest I think, probably impossible.

The other things are pretty easy to make, even from scratch. Cylinders for pistons would actually be the most difficult actual part to get made. I've built a mini engine as a project before, from scratch.

Alternators and Generators are cake.

Anyway, I think if I found any philosophers or engineers I could show them modern Algebra, Calculus, and Geometry and they would appreciate it.

If history was a video game, you would want to rush Calculus tech via Algebra over almost anything else.
>>
>>371702
I'm not buying it. Humans don't really think that long term. They want gold and glory now.
>>
>>371624
Modern inoculations cover historical variations of the disease.
>>
>>371917
pls see >>371434

I doubt you hold detailed knowledge on all the processes required to utilise all that you described
>>
I would invent the cronut
>>
nearly nothing, apart from showing them the tercio phalanx 500 years before it.
Instead of using muskets, i guess it would be ok with bows.

Maybe i could to something interesting with the mechanical energy, such as the da vinci tank (maybe playing with pressurized oil to make a rudimental flamethrower ).
also i have basic knowledge of structures and how to calculate efforts. + geography knowledege

unuseful things would be all sort of games/ music

t. engineering student
>>
Stuff that requires good instruments like penicillin or thing that break church doctrine like heliocentricism is out, so something simple and useful could probably be attempting to become a map-maker and drawing more accurate maps of Eurasia and Africa (I would leave undiscovered lands/poorly known lands out/not detailed). If I were allowed to bring something like a meter-stick along with me I could probably make some pretty sick and accurate maps of towns, cities, and fortresses which were pretty valuable. This is assuming language isn't a problem.
>>
If I left now with no preparation:
>I have a detailed understanding of Newtonian physics, E&M (might be able to piece together Maxwell's equations), and some quantum mechanics for what it's worth
>calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra
>draw up crude steam engine design
>Norfolk agriculture to improve crop yields
>could piece together the structure of the table of elements but not put every element in its place
>Germ theory and by extension both vaccinations and how to find penicillin
>Gunpowder (charcoal for combustion, sulfur to lower the ignition point, and saltpeter for oxidation) plus rifling and a very crude understanding of semi-automatic weapons
>knowledge on preventing scurvy and malnutrition
>crude battery (acid, copper, zinc)
>how electrical motors and dynamos work, light bulb, vacuum tube somewhat, and good understanding of semiconductors for what it's worth
>knowledge of optics but not glass making
>a little bit about lots of other stuff
>>
>>371727
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semaphore_line
>>
>>371417

Isn't saltpeter guano?
>>
>>371917

I was reading through the thread surpised that no one had mentione the steam engine yet. It's a pretty simple concept as long as you have the resources to build it.
>>
>>372324
In addition to map-making I could try to get rid of smallpox through the cowpox innoculation method, that would be a huge boon to europe's population growth
>>
>>372066
Then tell them all about the City of Gold you know about in central America. Also there are lots of hot exotic bitches there with big booties. And human sacrifice. C'mon, it's practically Valhalla down there.
>>
>>371417
>>372403
it's a potassium nitrate salt
nitrate can be found in urine and feces and in the crystallization of such, for example at old bat caves
potassium is found in wooden ash
so yeah, there's a method to separate both from their original compounds (carbamide and potassium carbonate) and includes water and time
>>
File: 1430850910898.png (171KB, 502x520px) Image search: [Google]
1430850910898.png
171KB, 502x520px
>>371372
>transported back to year 1015
>vast knowledge of medical science, decent knowledge of mechanics, know how to make printing press and a few other things, excellent knowledge of geography
>likely murdered and/or raped viciously because I will be transported back to 1015 Texas, home of Apache and Comanche before I can say more than ten words either because I offend, exist or look bizzare with pale skin and light eyes and hair

will always be jelly of euros in these kind of threads
>>
>>371372
I know how a compass works and can easily build one.

I know about optics and could possibly build early microscopes and telescopes, and can cover many basics of biology and astronomy.

I know about paper making, and simple mechanics, I could build a water powered paper mill.

Same goes for an early print with moving letters.

I know plenty about book keeping and finance.

I know about general hygiene and water treatment

I know about concrete and how to make it

I now how to make coke and its impact on metallurgy

I know about the cotton gin
>>
>>371372

Back in 1015 a.c. MAYAN territories.

>cant speak the language, look weird
>get enslaved
>ancient type of slavery, probably can buy myself if i get smart
>try to develop their navigation skills, having mayan cities in the caribean and the texan coast would be cool + them teaching the north american natives city building would be extra cooler

>mfw when i appear in the middle of the jungle and i die of hunger, poisonous fruit or a jaguar
>>
File: narcos.png (301KB, 610x396px) Image search: [Google]
narcos.png
301KB, 610x396px
>>371372
>tfw when you know spanish so you CAN communicate with Spaniards
>give them modern medicine, advanced shipping technologies, telegraph line, and percussion cap firearms (can't spoil them :) )
>yfw the reconquista comes 400 years earlier
>yfw when Columbus isn't born yet so Spain actually discovers a new route to Asia
>>
>>371372
Do I appear in the location I am now?

If so, I'm absolutely fucked because I can't speak any native languages.
>>
>>372680
actually the hopi native americans (found on a mesa in present day southwest america) had a legend about a white man who would appear from the east carrying a special stone. this man would lead them into the next age of the world.
>>
File: 1448722062895.jpg (13KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1448722062895.jpg
13KB, 320x320px
>>371881
The way some of you bring "muh evil gommies" into every fucking thread you would think Stalin was significantly worse than any of the other hundreds of thousands of sociopathic leaders throughout human history. But nope, you're just supremely triggered about a bunch of scary ideas. I don't see you fags whining as much about the goddamn mongols

Also,
>Marx invented evil socialism!!!!!

Paris Commune was in 1848 you historically illiterate faggots.
>>
>>373194
Sure, but as somebody who's lived in Arizona I can tell you that he'd dehydrate way before he got there.
>>
>>371372
It's fictional, but I read a few books about a girl who gets transported to an alternate reality in which everything is basically in the Middle Ages. At the point where I left off, she had given them Arabic numerals and improved their accounting vastly. Then she used the influence she got from that, along with whatever knowledge she had, to design their first steam engine to go in their first train.

Sorta a depart on reality even besides the alternate universe thing, because magic exists but it's done tastefully I think. Where I left off she's used it to do things like create black holes, split atoms, and make a computer basically.

Interesting read and thought it was worth mentioning, I rather enjoyed following the process.
>>
>>371421
Rubbing mouldy bread on wounds isn't hard.
>>
>>374000
At what point would a steam engine actually be better than a horse-drawn carriage?

I'd imagine it'd take a lot of development for that to cross over, not only in the engine itself, but in coal mining.
>>
>Calculus
>The existence of a lush New World filled with gold, lumber, and savage-to-civilized natives
>combustion engine

Feels good that I'd actually make a difference
>>
>>372512
Not many of the nordic peoples were actually vikings. They just wanted a peaceful plot of land to raise goats and shit.
>>
File: crying Italian man.jpg (234KB, 1238x697px) Image search: [Google]
crying Italian man.jpg
234KB, 1238x697px
>no itt wants to prevent the Great Dying
>>
>>376306
Few of us are South Americans m8

Anyways, if you're in a densely populated area, plagues are great for increasing the value of labor provided you don't die.
>>
>>376415
You like humans though, right? That should mean you'd prefer NOT causing the deaths of tens of millions of people due to disease.

And no, plagues are not great. I'm not buying the broken window fallacy.
>>
>>371372
>>371384
I'd find a blacksmith, then explain the concept of steam-engine. I'll try to make sure I get the credit, so I can become a respected thinker: then I'll begin indoctrinating people so that their society will reflect a little more of my values. If I could become something of a messianic figure, my influence could be very long-lasting.
>>
>>376450
>"No, you don't get it. There's a way to to move stuff with steam and it will be revolutionary! I don't really know how it works exactly, but like, I'm sure you can figure it out. I expect a prototype in a week. I'll pay you when I'm filthy rich from all the people who will pay to see it".
I'm pretty sure you would fail utterly at everything you just said.
>>
>>376446
Excepting the loss of numerous friends and family, the Black Death caused a lot of economic prosperity and would have been fairly beneficial for those who survived it.
>>
>>376470
I've actually assembled one from garbage, for class.

It's all about getting pressure from steam.
>>
>>376729
Good luck getting ahold of decent metal and machining it in the distance past.
>>
>>376505
>Excepting the loss of numerous friends and family, the Black Death caused a lot of economic prosperity and would have been fairly beneficial for those who survived it.
Again, I'm not buying it. It was good for the survivors because they could take what the dead people left, but it wasn't good for the regions as a whole. Manpower is a resource like any other.
>>
File: metalworking_shop_from_scrap.jpg (18KB, 215x346px) Image search: [Google]
metalworking_shop_from_scrap.jpg
18KB, 215x346px
>>376767
I doubt that would be a problem.

>>376729
Any links or images to give me a rough understanding of what exactly it is that you built? I like the idea of being able to assemble stuff from scratch.

Pic related. I got this as a gift. I haven't done anything more than the most cursory of skims, but I like the idea of me being able to build civilization from scratch when push comes to shove.
>>
>>376843
It put power into the hands of the poor due to work being in such high demand.
http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Italian_Studies/dweb/plague/effects/social.php
>>
>>371372
Probably die in the woods, or of cold, or of stabbing/arrows to the face, or disease.

1015 AD America is not a nice place if you've got no survival skills.
>>
>>374000
>to design their first steam engine to go in their first train.

Doesnt steam power need fairly advanced metal?
>>
>>376966
I can buy that it shook up social structures and that may have had positive economic benefits, but the plague and the resulting high demand for labor wasn't by itself good.

I think you should make that distinction because there are a lot of misanthropes out there that unironically think humanity would a lot better off without humans. They use the broken window fallacy as if to argue plagues are always good because humans suck and therefore the world would be better with less of them. It also ties into Malthusian thinking.
>>
>>377053
One could argue that it probably prevented a war or two due to everyone trying to put their societies back together, but then again the toll of it all was easily that of a particularly nasty Eurowar.
>>
>>371372
Pretty much only a world map. Technology mostly evolved as fast as materials and production technology evolved, and I know nothing about these
>>
File: travel_back_in_time.jpg (565KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
travel_back_in_time.jpg
565KB, 1600x1000px
>>371372
I knew this image would be relevant someday
>>
>>377060
That is a silly attempt at arguing that plagues are good and we both know it.
>>
>>371372
I waste no time and paint subliminal messages of memes from current time so that the future generations will respect me as an great prophet and I would never cease to exist in both history and internet.
I'll also write all mainstream songs lyrics and publish them earlier than their time so that future singers will struggle or eventually never become famous.
>>
>>377108
Why would it be important to know what a meter was?
>>
>>377148
...why not define the universal measure of length as that of your penis (~10 inches of course)
>>
>>377148
To give the speed of light value meaning.
>>
>>377116
Yes, that's why I refuted it in the same sentence.
>>
File: primitive steam engine.jpg (10KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
primitive steam engine.jpg
10KB, 205x246px
>>376854
Make something like this but with ridges around it. Make it so those ridges connect to one of those thin cogs. The steam makes the ridged can spin against the cog, making the cog turn.

Then, dunno, I never thought past that. Pretty sure I'd need to combine it with pistons somehow to start my industrial revolution, but self-moving clockwork toys would be enough to make me relevant 1000 years ago.
>>
>>377245
Yeah, that's a far cry from a usable Newcomen steam engine. In fact I think little novelties like in your picture were around a long time before the Newcomen steam engine. Perhaps even in China?
>>
>>377343
Ancient Greece, I believe.
>>
>>377376
Were Greeks one of the first to write that kind of stuff down? I find it hard to believe Greece independently came up with half the shit we attribute to them.
>>
>>375882
Idk, I guess we're supposed to assume that they already had some kind of coal processing in place. Also the steam engines were only in use in high class merchant ships and the new train when I stopped reading, so it made some sense.

>>377050
Did not take that into account, but I think you're right.
>>
>>377050
I don't believe so. Why would it?
>>
>>377405
IIRC they came up with all sorts of cool shit for their temples, which were basically in a science war to see who could come up with the most "miracles" like self-opening giant ass doors and floating chariots.
>>
>>371400
Not to mention medicine would look a fuck of a lot like alchemy.
Just clame to be an apothacary
(asprin is dervied from willow bark for example)
>>
>>377608
But did previous peoples like the Assyrians or the Persians do a bunch of shit before anyone else too that we just don't hear about? If not then what was special about Greece?
>>
This thread is making me wonder what some random guy a 1000 years in the future would be able to give the world. What overlooked or yet undiscovered invention could he cobble together from shit laying around that would drastically alter our everyday lives and the course of history?
>>
>>378931
There were like three other instances of some autist like Newton and Einstein overthrowing everything we know about the structure of the universe.

Some guy called Hanso-oo in 2300+, some spic girl I can't remember in 2590 born in Qinta (oh, we have space colonies now, but they are kinda crappy still), and about 20 years ago an aussie dropped time-travel in the mix

But it sucks ass, without my printers I cannot even begin to describe how tech works. I've been lurking chans for the last three months.
>>
>>377605
>I don't believe so. Why would it?
because you need to build cylinders that can withstand high pressure. Forget steam power, except for small tech demonstrator it is simply not feasible for the year 1015 AD.
>>
>>373219
butthurt commie detected.
>>
I know how to forge, I'd tell them to kill all pale skins who came from the east or south.

If I could teach writing as well as inoculation and quarantine I'd do that as well.
>>
>>371372
Even cartography would be helpful to a lot of people. You might not be Piri Reis, but I'm sure most people would be able to draw up some helpful maps of the whole world, among other small but immensely useful things which weren't happening back then. Smithing, too. Doubtful we have too many metallurgical masters here, but surely a few people could explain why early cannons would explode at the base.

>>371431
Isn't it the reverse? We have the immunity our ancestors struggled and died for, passing their antibodies onto their children and so forth?
We (Europeans) reasonably should be able to walk through plague sites without picking it up.
>>
File: Wiener_young.jpg (10KB, 195x285px) Image search: [Google]
Wiener_young.jpg
10KB, 195x285px
cybernetics
>>
File: space-asteroid-mining.jpg (652KB, 3300x2100px) Image search: [Google]
space-asteroid-mining.jpg
652KB, 3300x2100px
>>378931
Space mining. The first asteroid to make a corporation or nation filthy rich probably will become a household name like the name of some gold rushes. A time traveler would have insight into what's the best means of getting shit into orbit and have some idea of what space mining entails just by the pictures of mining operations he's seen in articles and videos. Every invention we take for granted on the Earth's surface will have to be reengineered for space.
>>
>>383778
>Space mining
>In 1000AD
Someone's getting locked in a cage and laughed at like Pennellen.
>>
>>383784
Learn how links work before posting please.
>>
>>383731
It's not even useful now, so why?
>>
I'm an illustrator, so maybe I could get to work painting and come up with perspective drawing before the renaissance starts.

Maybe I could land a job painting for cathedrals and shit.
>>
>>383872
Yes please
Fucking god awful medieval paintings I swear
>>
>>371372
>he didn't get a STEM degree

My knowledge of concrete and metallurgy is off the charts brah. I'd probably start as a smithy and work my way up.
>>
>>383709
>Isn't it the reverse? We have the immunity our ancestors struggled and died for, passing their antibodies onto their children and so forth?
>We (Europeans) reasonably should be able to walk through plague sites without picking it up.

No.

The idea is that evolution (particularly immunology) is a treadmill: the diseases and the organisms they affect will keep evolving in tandem, but they won't make any actual 'progress'. Diseases in the past are likely to be very different from anything around today (at the very basic level of how they infect cells and hence your defences against them), and so creatures today are unlikely to have any natural immunity to them. Your immune system doesn't 'remember' all the diseases all your ancestors had; it only imprints on a limits set of the stuff that's floating around now.
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.