[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the War in the Vendee genocide /his/? Was the true goal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 800px-PrincedeTalmont.jpg (245KB, 800x1579px) Image search: [Google]
800px-PrincedeTalmont.jpg
245KB, 800x1579px
Was the War in the Vendee genocide /his/?

Was the true goal of the French Revolution to destroy the Catholic Church in France?
>>
It started as a reformation of the centuries old privileges of the few, and became a revolution when the radicals took charge.
>>
File: Martyrs_Lucs.jpg (31KB, 471x215px) Image search: [Google]
Martyrs_Lucs.jpg
31KB, 471x215px
>>
File: Massacre_de_Machecoul.jpg (2MB, 2126x1286px) Image search: [Google]
Massacre_de_Machecoul.jpg
2MB, 2126x1286px
>>
>>359390
>french Revolution
>having a goal
Never before or since has there been a bigger circlejerk
>>
I'm not saying they deserved it but the Vendéens went full retard. And I say that as a half-vendéen guy (but from an area that was probably not involved in that shit).
>>
>>359390
I don't see how you could argue it wasn't a genocide, short of appealing to the fact that it's an anachronistic term for the period. By modern standards, it is clearly genocidal.
>>
>>359659
>full retard

how so?

If you were a hardcore Catholic and the government was run by a bunch of radical atheists who just killed your king wouldn't you revolt?
>>
The revolution just wanted to crush the counter-revolution in Vendee, not to wage a genocide. Still, it seems that the population of Vendee dropped significantly... I don't know if a lot of them took arms, or if the Republican army targeted civilians intentionally.
>>
>>359680
>was run by a bunch of radical atheists

>implying the war in vendée was primarily a religious one.
>>
File: FUSILLADES.jpg (76KB, 244x163px) Image search: [Google]
FUSILLADES.jpg
76KB, 244x163px
>>359686
From wiki

The infernal columns (Fr., "colonnes infernales") were operations led by the French revolutionary general Louis Marie Turreau in the War in the Vendee, after the setback of the virée de Galerne. Following the passage on 1 August 1793 and 1 October 1793 by the National Convention of laws aimed at exterminating the local population in the area south of the Loire River, (the so-called Vendée), 12 army columns were set up and sent through the Vendée to exterminate the local royalist population: men, women and children. It has been estimated that from 16 000 to 40 000 inhabitants were killed during the first quarter of 1794.

The employment and actions of these "infernal columns" continues to be a subject of heated debate, both in France and abroad. French historian Reynald Secher has gone so far as to characterise their operations as a "Franco-French genocide," while Claude Langlois of the Institute of History of the French Revolution has derided Secher's claims as "quasi-mythological." The debate has become highly politicized.
>>
>>359680

>how so

them being hardcore catholics, to begin with
also them fighting to defend their feudal lords

basically a bunch of keks
>>
>>359390

well, it was a event in which a large organised armed force made a concrete and enduring effort to kill a certain people living in a certain area, and kept on at it for as long as there were any in that area left to kill

so...
>>
>>359702
>being religious in the 18th century makes you a c uck

fuck off faggot
>>
>>359732

come on it's 1789
get with the times
>>
File: goddess of reason.jpg (56KB, 400x310px) Image search: [Google]
goddess of reason.jpg
56KB, 400x310px
What were they thinking with the cult of reason and the 10 day work week?
>>
>>359702
Yeah, because that revolution worked out so much better for them.
>>
>>359702

the way i see it it was more like;

>so you killed the king...ok
>so youre starting a new state and all... ok
>so you want us to pay you taxes, serve in your army, obey your laws and accept your rule, but you killed the king... NOPE

if you notice the motto was diu le roi, meaning no one human is king, no one worldly rule is accepted, once you kill the king the only king left is in heaven, so fuck you, your state, your egalite and your taxes

seems that way to me at least
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.