[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck did the Mount Vesuvius eruption not have a bigger

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

Why the fuck did the Mount Vesuvius eruption not have a bigger impact on Roman culture snd society? Several major towns were destroyed instantly in the middle of Rome's heartland but it seems that most Roman contemporaries didn't give a shit.
>>
>>3391230
What would you expect them to do about it?
>>
>>3391230
95% of the population was peasant farmers or slaves, they didn't really give a shit if some town didn't exist anymore
>>
>>3391274
I think his point was why didn't Rome experience a post 9/11 esque shift in thought.

Which is dumb because the Romans already had beliefs about how fickle and powerful nature was. This just kind of proved that world view
>>
>>3391230
Wasn't Pompei known to be a degenerate shithole at the time of eruption? I believe however that Nero and other state officials prepared rescue operations but the eruption still hindered most of it.
>>
>>3391230

The Romans weren't simple savages who believed in magic, they understood that a volcano is a natural phenomena and while it was sad to lose some cities, it wasn't a cataclysm.
>>
>>3391230
Because it was only a natural disaster and only destroyed a couple of towns.

We have major earth quakes which kill massive amounts these days, but people forget within a decade.

This was the same, it is just famous for the town it preserved, which Italians are promptly destroying again with their utter incompetence, go see it while you can.
>>
>>3392201
What are the spaghetti niggers doing to pompei?
>>
>>3392111
>The Romans weren't simple savages who believed in magic
This is the knowledge of the average /his/torian
>>
File: italians dont trust themselves.jpg (83KB, 746x960px) Image search: [Google]
italians dont trust themselves.jpg
83KB, 746x960px
>>3392208
They can't even kill the fucking weeds, which grow in every tile gap and between each brick and crack, the roots slowly making every crack bigger, slowly destroying the entire town. How hard is it to get a guy to use weed killer once a week?

Then they have so little security or security that gives no fuck that tourists are just ruining the place, never mind the ancient floors being completely eroded by the amount of traffic, the incredibly delicate wall paintings are constantly touched making them wear out to fuck, and pieces of brick, walls, tiles, are being stolen all the time.

There is of course no weather protection either, heavy rains are highly damaging to the 2000 year old buildings.

If it was in a better country, it would be under a gigantic roof, at least the main parts, you would view it via glass walkways, and it would be properly guarded.

As of now i wouldn't be surprised if homeless people were squatting in some of the ancient houses.
>>
>>3392237
>poland votes germany most trustworthy
>also votes germany least trustworthy
>>
File: stray-dogs-pompeii-italy.jpg (1MB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
stray-dogs-pompeii-italy.jpg
1MB, 2272x1704px
>>3392237
It is Italy, expecting any form of competence from them is foolishness.
>>
>>3392259
Yep, i heard that if Vesuvius goes again it will rebury Pompeii, i am glad for it.
>>
File: nnn.png (187KB, 287x464px) Image search: [Google]
nnn.png
187KB, 287x464px
>>3392066

>The Romans weren't simple savages who believed in magic

The Romans were no less superstitious than other people of their era.
>>
Reminder that the volcano erupted while Titus' army was vacationing there after destroying God's people
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.