[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /his/, /k/ here. What was ownership of weapons like before

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

Hi /his/, /k/ here. What was ownership of weapons like before enlightenment ideas/Americanism? Was the average European farmer or cityfolk permitted to own or even carry their rifle/pistol openly? Or was everything confiscated, even swords and knives?

Iassume there weren't really laws in place but what was it like generally speaking?

Pic is unrelated
>>
>>3384547
The United States has always had legal gun ownership due to its constant status as a frontier nation, and guns were more expensive (hand-made parts) while not uncommon.

In Europe, the history of guns is a more complicated matter due to the number of countries/climates. You might have owned a firearm if you had the money for it and were going to use it in some way (hunting shotguns, dueling pistols). Anyone middle class or lower in high density areas would almost certainly not have one while in rural areas they would be more common while still somewhat uncommon. The cliched image of the noble with a trophy room of stuffed trophies and a shotgun collection applies decently.
>>
>>3384598
Thanks, anywhere else I can read up on this?
>>
>>3384639
I don't know of any good sources for private European firearm ownership, but here's one regarding the United States during the 18th-early 19th centuries:

http://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1489&context=wmlr

Basically this states the majority of 18th century male controlled well-off estates contained firearms through looking at recorded probate (will) inventories of the time.
>>
>>3384547
>Venezuela now uses entirely Soviet ammo
They've gone full commie. Disgusting.
You know there is no turning back for a country once they depend entirely on the Russians for weaponry.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.