[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did this single letter destroy all Roman public virtue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4132.png (56KB, 2000x1843px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4132.png
56KB, 2000x1843px
How did this single letter destroy all Roman public virtue and the mos maiorum?
>>
>>3379765
explain
>>
>>3379781
Alaric: Rome gib land
Rome: "No"
Alaric: K.
>>
>>3379781
Hellenization ruined Rome
>>
>>3379915
But all the letters are Greek.
>>
>>3379921
adapted greek
>>
>>3379966
Yeah, but the A's an A, and the B's a B, so who cares if K is K for Greek words?
I'm also curious as to what happened to Phi, because F is a Greek letter denoting the Wuh sound, Wau, but the Romans used it for the phi sound.
>>
>>3379995
At the time Φ made an aspirated p sounds, contrasted with the unaspirated p of π. F (waw) was used in Etruscan for the V sounds which was then devoiced to the f sound in Latin
>>
>>3380001
So phi didn't make the fuh sound, it made the aspirated P, like the sort we have in English, while pi made that gay unaspirated p sound it makes today in Greek
>>
>>3379765
It's the K hater again.
https://desuarchive.org/his/thread/2634911/
>>
>>3380011
English does not have any aspirated consonants. The closest English comes is when a 'h' is pronounced immediately after, e.g.

> hop house
> hob house
> hot house

These said quickly come close enough to the aspirated p-h, b-h, t-h. Greek pi is the same as normal English 'p'.
>>
>>3380011
>the aspirated P, like the sort we have in English
Do you even know what aspirated means?
>>
>>3380370
Yes it it does
Say "pot" and "spot"
>>
>>3380904
Not aspirated.
>>
>>3380920
You're either not a native speaker or are trying real hard not to aspirate it
>>
File: catotheelder.jpg (39KB, 430x600px) Image search: [Google]
catotheelder.jpg
39KB, 430x600px
>>3379915
REMOVE GREEK remove greek you are dog filth u can live in field with macedonian cousin ahahah EPIRUS WE WILL GET YOU!!!!
>>
>>3380931
I am native, and pronouncing it perfectly normally.

The air ejected from the mouth when pronouncing those words is the normal ejection for any consonant. I think you're underestimating how relatively forceful aspirated consonants are.

https://youtu.be/_JMxMQmEh7k?t=1m54s
>>
>>3380904
See
>>3381048

One does, or should, not say p-hot, or sp-hot. These are unaspirated mutes.
>>
>>3381048
>>3381079
You clearly don't know what you're talking about, or you'd know why I brought up pot vs spot. It's commonly known that stops at the beginning of English words are aspirated which is why you should notice a difference when saying pot and spot (or stop and top or spy and pie).

http://digitalcommons.fiu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1133&context=sferc
>>
>>3381102
Fair enough. I admit I'm wrong here.

But 'p' is still not an aspirated consonant per se, only by initial position.
>>
>>3379915
But rome was similar to greek culture before they conquered them
>>
>>3381124
It acts as an aspirated consonant in the initial position, so it is. The fact that we use the letter P to represent it is just a hold over from its romantic origin.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.