[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why exactly didn't Austria take Balkan and Constantinople

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1495908283576.gif (19KB, 550x440px) Image search: [Google]
1495908283576.gif
19KB, 550x440px
Why exactly didn't Austria take Balkan and Constantinople over after Ottomans?

I know Russians were against it, but if it happened, it would perfectly even out the balance of power in the region imo, so why didn't other nations support Austria here? It seems hard to believe that they thought the sick man of Europe could get too strong, or that Austrian byrocreaucy couldn't manage all that land.
Plus Constantinople was an important city spiritually for the Christian people.

So why didn't it happen?
>>
Entire 16th, 17th and 18th century on the Balkans is Austria waging war against the Ottomans.

In 19th century they occupied Bosnia and competed with Russia over influence in Serbia. So they got their share from Ottoman weakening.

Once Ottoman threat diminished and they were reduced to 3rd grade power there was no reason for Austria to remove it completely. Like Britain, they preferred Ottoman Empire to be in one piece because it served as a barriere to Russian influence in the Balkans, something Austria feared more than Turks.

Constantinople is a meme city, and was too far away and useless. The only question was not letting Russians to capture it.
>>
>>3375857
>it served as a barriere to Russian influence in the Balkans
But Austria itself could've been the barrier. They had alliance with Germany, if they'd taken whole Balkans, they would be strong enough to compete with Russia.
>>
>>3375829
>Why exactly didn't Austria take Balkan and Constantinople over after Ottomans?
what do you mean why? it's not for lack of trying if that's what you're asking

they were planning on annexing albania and serbia if they won ww1
>>
>>3375871
>But Austria itself could've been the barrie
It could, but it wasn't. Like i said. Austria battled with Russia for control over Serbia even though Serbia was literally on Austria's borders.
>>
>>3375829
Because Austria started and lost a world war? Why would they be rewarded by huge swathes of land they could never govern effectively, some of it already belonging to the Entente.
>>
>>3375829
You can't do all things at once. The only interesting thing about Constantinople is controlling the Bosporus strait, but Austria had no interest in controlling that. They only had to make sure Russia doesn't control it, because without Russia is seriously weakened in its power projection. And to keep out of Russia's hands Turkey was perfect.

Meanwhile Austria could concentrate on annexing/integrating the Balkan countries and in that way further shrink russian power porjection.

If that had succeeded, in a next step you can think about actually going into Russia if you find that worth the costs.

But Austria's main objective was definetely containing Russia, and for that the Turks were a helpful ally.
>>
>>3376015
i don't think so, the common belief is:

austria's objective was control and conuqest of the balkans, and their reason for keeping russia out was precisely this, both were competing for the same prize

britain and france on the other hand had the objective of keeping russia out of the bosphorous, because it was the only thing keeping the russian navy stuck in the black sea, with the bosphorous they would become a naval power on par with france and britain
>>
>>3375829
>why isn't life like my vidya games
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.