[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

They decoded the Voynich Manuscript! https://arstechnica.co

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: image.png (763KB, 800x523px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
763KB, 800x523px
They decoded the Voynich Manuscript!

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/the-mysterious-voynich-manuscript-has-finally-been-decoded/
>>
Huge news.
>>
So it's about medicine?
>>
>>3356771
Who the fuck cares...
>>
>>3356843
Fuck off nigger. This is huge news.
>>
/x/ on suicide watch
>>
>>3356843
>& humanities strikes again
>>
>>3356928
>Reading early modern latin medical texts isn't history related
>>
>>3356843
>>3356928

Have some yous
>>
>>3356771
Is there translated text with images somewhere?
>>
File: 1465166584728.gif (2MB, 300x332px) Image search: [Google]
1465166584728.gif
2MB, 300x332px
>>3356771

Quite underwhelming tbqh. I was hoping for it to be something composed by a schizophrenic monk who had visions about other realities or something. That or some heretical superstition.

No it's turned out just a manual on how to keep your vagina clean and shit...
>>
File: 1496591311774.jpg (99KB, 1024x948px) Image search: [Google]
1496591311774.jpg
99KB, 1024x948px
>>3356771
Not true. This article is a product of alien slaves who want to keep their secret code a secret. Don't let yourself be fooled by them!
>>
>>3356771
but why is there vedic astrology in there? (black serpent etc.)
>>
>>3357314
medieval medicine was silly like that
>>
>>3356771
Wasn't there already a thread about this?
>>
>>3356771

I need a quick rundown.
>>
>>3357908
It's Cosmopolitan for the late Medieval Era.
>>
>>3357314
Because astrology was used in medicine at the time.
>>
WTF NO SATANIC RITUALS?

FAKE NEWS
>>
>>3356771
science illiteracy at its finest
some pop e-zine reports on a new theory and it's presented as a "discovery"--THE TRUTH AT LAST
of course there's a bunch of theorists who think they've decoded the voynich
now there's one more
>>
>>3358069
This one is actually very convincing
>>
>>3358086
90% of the article just discusses the imagery, much of which was already known (or at least speculated upon). He doesn't present any evidence of having translated it beyond a single sample sentence.
>>
>>3358086
right, because the "convincingness" of a theory is something that can be determined (a) scientifically and (b) by amateurs after reading one pop science article
>>
>>3358097

We need a standard unit of measurement for convincingness. I nominate the "Legit" (Le.)
>>
Why is everyone acting like some botonaist from the dark ages owes them more. This is real history, a human that catalogued plants and medicines. This discovery confirms what humans are capable of. Better than living like animals.

Although aliums woulda been cool too
>>
>>3358148
Because it was a favorite Reddit story and they need 24/7 explosions and CoolStuff(tm) in their historical diet.
>>
>>3358115
what level of convincingness corresponds to 1 Legit?
>>
>>3358224
10 convinces make 1 legit
10 co = 1 le
>>
>>3358238
so if a theory convinces 10 people it has 1 Legit?
>>
File: 3fish.jpg (118KB, 625x500px) Image search: [Google]
3fish.jpg
118KB, 625x500px
>>3358247
sounds legit. The President of science approves.
>>
Its a fucking fake. This has been known since it was found. People from the 1400's often used stencils to make their own "languages" are incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't understand it and then make books full of mysterious bullshit and sell them as magic books. The plants in the book don't even exist. That being said, I have a soft spot for the Voynich Manuscript because aesthetic as fuck. Whoever bought hat got their money's worth.
>>
>>3356771
fake and gay

this is a hypothesis, not a decoding. if he had actually figured it out, there would be a translated version for us to read, not "yeah, it's probably [thing we already knew]"
>>
They're lying.
>>
>>3357908
They wrote it many moons ago. We do not know their purpose but can only trust that it was in humanities best interest
>>
File: IMG_0311.jpg (77KB, 751x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0311.jpg
77KB, 751x600px
>>3358871
>>
>>3358097
>"convincingness" of a theory is something that can be determined (a) scientifically
It actually can. It's called reductionist empiricism
>>
>>3358165
>Wahh! Reddit!! Waah!!
>>
>>3356988
If it were made by an insane person, it wouldn't be as logically structured as it is.

>>3356771
It's kind of disappointing for me because I had hope that nobody ever would decipher it, that it would be this one single thing where human reason stops working. The whole thing would be like some Borges story IRL.
So I'd be really happy if it turned out that it's still not solved, but this is a very concrete and convincing hypothesis. Kind of weird that nobody had figured that stuff out before, though. For example, Gibbs says that plants aren't named in the text but in the missing appendix (because that was common practice in medieval herbariums, they say in the article), which directly contradicts Bax, who assumed that the first word on a page would be a plant name (because that too was common practice in medieval herbariums, he says in his paper). And how come no-one else noticed similarities with other popular medieval medical books?
>>
>>3360900
>If it were made by an insane person, it wouldn't be as logically structured as it is.
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/wnj43x/gods-lonely-programmer
>>
>>3358370

It cant sound legit if it has only convinced you! You need 9 more people.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.