[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does anyone know any good reading material about carthage, phoenicians,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: image.png (1003KB, 1780x1276px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1003KB, 1780x1276px
does anyone know any good reading material about carthage, phoenicians, italy in the 500s-1300s , or the old swiss confederacy
pic not rel
>>
>>3348192

>Carthage

"Carthage Must Be Destroyed" by Richard Miles

>Phoenicians

Same thing as Carthage.
>>
>>3348211
thx, is that about all of their history or just the punic wars?
>>
>>3348338

It does naturally talk about the Punic Wars but it spends a LONG time talking about Carthage's early history before that.
>>
>>3348453
oh nice, is it reliable? i just bought the book "salt" by mark kurlansky and its full of shit
>>
>>3348338

I must warn you though......the early parts of the book are very dry and academic. If you go in expecting a thrilling narrative, you're going to get frustrated very quickly.
>>
>>3348467
i dont mind that too much if it at least picks up later
>>
>>3348481

If you want to get to the part of the book that reads like a narrative, then you basically have to skip directly to the Pyrrhic War. When it comes to Carthage, we unfortunately don't have many of their actual writings, so archaeological evidence is king. Almost everything of what is written about them comes from Greco-Roman sources. And not only that, these Greek and Roman historians were often writing about events that happened over 100 years before their time. So not only are they heavily biased sources, they're also written by people who weren't eyewitnesses. The author spends a lot of time dissecting various Roman accounts and trying to figure out what is true and what is bullshit. For example, he spends a great deal of time trying to answer the infamous question of whether or not Carthage actually practiced child sacrifice. The author ultimately concludes that there is enough archeological evidence to support claims of child sacrifice that the Roman claims cannot be dismissed as mere propaganda. Religion is also something that gets talked about a lot, which is good, because I thought those were the most interesting parts of the book.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.