[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much did Medieval Europeans and Middle Eastern people take

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_5187.jpg (131KB, 750x557px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5187.jpg
131KB, 750x557px
How much did Medieval Europeans and Middle Eastern people take baths in comparison to Romans?

In East Asia, due to strong Buddhist tradition, Koreans were noted by the Chinese to bath three times a day. (Exaggeration but you get the gist)
The Japanese likewise gathered in communal bathhouses and payed waifus to scrub their backs.

I know Pagan Europeans bathed pretty extensively as well but how much did Europeans after Christianity bath?

Pic related Medieval people eating while bathing.
>>
>>3344804
Shit, I want to eat a nice dinner in a hotub, why aren't we doing this anymore? That looks comfy as fuck.
>>
Wasn't Europe full of bogs and swamps meaning if you didn't bathe indoors you'd get malaria? That's why it wasn't as popular as other areas?
>>
>>3344804

Less often than modern people, more often than popculture claims. Shirts and underwear would be changed and washed regularly and there's coroners accounts of people dying while bathing.
>>
Washing was part of the daily routine of farmers since the neolithic.

A common method was to scrub with a mixture of ash and water using a cloth then rinse it off, soap was big business and an improvement over ash, other crafts provided towels, sponges and wash basins. Fully submerging in hot water every day was impractical for the average peasant.
>>
>>3344804
The Middle East had communal baths just like Romans. You have to keep in mind these people can only live where they do thanks to mastering waterworks, unlike Europe with its plentiful rivers and arable fields.

I'd hazard a guess Romans (i.e. Byzantines) never had much of an issue either and preserved these whereas the Franks absolutely did not.

They are all people in the end so they all must have washed themselves in the end in whatever ways possible, but only certain areas would be well off in this regard.

Areas like modern day England, France or Germany would probably be shit out of luck. If you get to Scandinavia, they were also not the cleanest around but they had saunas (which were popular throughout the entire continental Europe).
You get to Byzantines and you get the famous Roman baths. Spain may have been better off thanks to the Muslim conquests but I'm just guessing there. Likewise, if you lived in a decent middle eastern city, you had public baths. If you were a nomad along the Silk Road, you'd spend most of your life dirty.

So on and so on... Saunas, swimming in a local river/lake, bathing in public baths, et cetera. It wasn't a question as simple as being European or non-European, taking baths and not taking baths.
>>
>>3344804
Doesn't answer most of your question, but iirc public bathing lost a lot of popularity in medieval Europe due to health reasons.
>many public baths begin offering more licentious services
>people realize that those who regularly visit bath houses are more likely to get certain diseases
>????
>pool's closed due to syphilis
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.