[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Therefore the torrent of Islamocentric academic publications;

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 61KpBmmFJeL (1).jpg (67KB, 330x500px) Image search: [Google]
61KpBmmFJeL (1).jpg
67KB, 330x500px
>Therefore the torrent of Islamocentric academic publications; television documentaries from PBS, the History Channel, and the BBC; declarations by UNESCO; and the National Geographic traveling exhibits extolling the “transmission of Greek science and technology” by Islam to the backward West overlooks that, whatever the actual degree of this transmission, the transmission not only of Greek science and technology but also of Greek sculpture, painting, drama, narrative, and lyric, which could not and did not take place via Islam because of religious barriers, would equally have taken place without Islam, if Islam had not interrupted with its military conquests of the seventh and eighth centuries the direct communication between the Christian West and the Christian East.

well?
>>
>>3336909
According to Thomas Aquinas, the greatest commentator of Aristotle was not some Christian, but Averroes. Clearly, the Christian thinkers of that time very much appreciated the works of Muslim philosophers and the contributions they made to the development of Ancient Greek thought.
>>
>>3337003
*commentator on Aristotle
>>
>>3336909
>if Islam had not interrupted with its military conquests of the seventh and eighth centuries the direct communication between the Christian West and the Christian East.
Does he think the Eastern and Western Europe are divided by North Africa or something? The Byzantines held parts of Italy well into the 11th century. They were in direct communication all the fucking time.
>>
>>3336909
In how far did Islam interrupt communication between Byzantine empire and the West? This guy must have been smoking some good shit.
>>
>>3337032
He probably means the non-Europeans by "East" . The Arabic works were translated from Syriac, not Greek, but the Sassanids may have tried to stop contact between them and the Greeks as well. Some of the works in Syriac and Arabic have not been found in Greek, but the translations were made before the pillaging of the Byzantines. So I haven't seen it explained why there was no knowledge of Greek works to translate them directly, unless the Byzantines were preventing contact themselves.
>>
>>3337073
The West actually knew almost all ancient philosophers during the whole medieval period, it is a meme that they only got in touch with them after 1400. What happened after 1400 is the civil society becoming powerful and rich enough to disobey the church, which all this time tried to surpress any non-christian studies. In Islam a church did not exist, and intellectuals were able to study relaitvely freely.
>>
>>3337094
>which all this time tried to surpress any non-christian studies.
This is kind of a meme in itself in my experience. I recall one attempted book ban on two philosophical commentaries instituted by the Church in the University of Paris in the 1270s, I think, and it was so widely derided and ignored by students, scholars and clergy alike that it was done away with very quickly.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.