[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the average american spit at their own troops who returned

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 9

File: hqdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
Why did the average american spit at their own troops who returned home during the vietnam war? Was this common during other conflicts as well? It seems to be very unpatriotic behaviour.
>>
>>3329149
>>3329149
Why not?
>>
The average American had more critical thinking skills 50 years ago.
>>
>>3329149
Cultural Marxism and the American Government's indifference towards this attitude.
>>
>>3329149
The Vietnam war was the most poorly-handled political war in history. It is what happens when democracy shoves its nose into war, an institution that demands both speed and efficiency.
>>
>unpatriotic behaviour
You mean people at that time were not nationalists who supported what their country did no matter what?
You think people took killing other humans as something serious and not something fun your kids do to blow up some "shitskins"?

USA USA USA

I doubt this common though, probably rare cases and burgers portraying it as an every day thing like the terror attacks in Europe nowadays.
>>
>>3329149
the average american didn't but a somewhat large, vocal minority did.
>>
>Why did the average american spit at their own troops who returned home during the vietnam war?

There's no confirmed cases of this actually happening.

http://www.vvaw.org/veteran/article/?id=350
>>
>>3329149
Soldiers are welfare queens, they deserve no special treatment. The hero worship they get today is disgusting.
>>
Because blindly supporting the shit your army does is the stuff of third world countries.
>>
>>3329149
Because the media/popular culture told them to.
>>
>>3329218
Do you think anyone is going to keep official records of someone getting spat on?
>>
>>3329402
So even God spit on the troops from vietnam by that reasoning. However as you know, god doesn't keep official records
>>
>>3329149
The best book on this is called 'the Spitting Image'. Some of the photo ops were staged by the U.S. Government for propaganda reasons. They wanted to discredit the anti-war movement using emotion.

However, most of the people who were photographed while spitting on U.S. Viet-Nam Vets were American Veterans of WWII and the Korean Conflict.
>>
>>3329411
I'm an agnostic friend. There's also no record of a dog shitting on anyones lawn prior to 1904 but I'm not gonna claim it didn't happen on /his/
>>
>>3329226
A ton of vietnam veterans received no help and ended up as hobos.
Nice one usa...
>>
>>3329402
I do, yes. Spitting on other people is a crime. This commonly results in an official record known as a police report.
>>
>>3329195
>dude I'm going to spit at draftees too poor and unconnected to get out of the draft look how brave I am lmao
#theresistance
>>
File: AinsleyBook.jpg (57KB, 600x431px) Image search: [Google]
AinsleyBook.jpg
57KB, 600x431px
>lose a war
>expect to come home to a hero's welcome

lol
>>
>>3329461
So find a record of a average person being spat on before 1960.
>>
>>3329149
>Why did the average american spit at their own troops who returned home during the vietnam war?

There was no proof of that happening.
>>
>>3329149
Wut
If spitting on troops happened at all, it was EXTREMELY rare. As in, only a handful of incidents total.
>>
A lot of the genuine outrage is lost in time.

For any politically conscious person at the time there was a myriad reasons to be disgusted by the War in Vietnam. The US government had unilaterally decided to prop up an artificial puppet government known as "South Vietnam" to renege on the accords reached at Geneva after Dien Bien Phu which promised a National Vietnamese referendum for the country's political future, which was seen as unacceptable by US policy makers because the Viet-Minh enjoyed widespread popular support and would have no doubt swept the elections had the vote been carried through.

The US government went on to lie to the American people, like in the Gulf of Tonkin incident, to whip up war hysteria in order to pursue its Quixotic policy objectives, leading tens of thousands of American boys to their death for reasons that beneath then anti-communist rhetoric were all too unclear. Financial contributions and connections between high level politicians and defense industries were noted.

US intelligence agencies operating in Vietnam were helping to run the opium trade in order to fund clandestine counter-insurgency operations against the Viet-Minh which not only being repugnant to American ideals and a flagrant violation of international law, was a massive contributing factor to rampant heroin addiction among GIs and tens of thousands more back home. The shadowy nature of counter-insurgency operations also gave rise to things like Operation Phoenix, which sanctioned torture, kidnapping and assassinations paid off by either US tax payers or Opium trade money.

The war itself seemed to be one massive inhumane slaughter of poor peasants fighting for their nation's sake against an American military industrial complex greased with tax payer's money and the blood of their sons.

In short: there was a lot of be upset about.
>>
>>3329543
>>3329568
See the book 'The Spitting Image' as posted above. It was written by a Viet-Nam Vet after he returned home and got a degree in sociology. His standards for identifying the spitters and spittees was very strict.
>>
>>3329466
Yeah, how could we expect draftees to poor to avoid the draft not to push drugs and murder vietnamese?
>>
>>3329149
The "Average American" didn't, the idiot peace-nik who had gotten hooked on rage did, because they were, you now, hooked on rage.
>>
>>3329466
It's kind of comforting to know leftists have always been subhuman retards weirdly obsessed with bodily fluids.
>>
>>3329149
Because the American proletariat was waking up to the crimes of capitalism a seem by the imperialist murderers of Vietnam.
>>
>>3329791
>spitting on someone
>obsession with bodily fluid
It's meant to be a mark of disrespect, moron.
>>
That kind of thing happened, I remember a worse one.
>french indochina war
>commies, who held a LOT of power through unions, are against it
>they tell the workers to sabotage the army
>the weapons and ammunitions the french get are fucked, a ton of them don't work, leading to deaths on the field
>commies literally rig grenades to explode instantly, killing the soldier
>the armorers have to test them one by one through some long, extensive method I dont even remember
>tfw reading about the soldiers up there, with weapons sabotages by their own countrymen, and praising the americans who at times gave them actually working supplies
>they also slowed production several times in the years leading up to ww2 with massive strikes
Godless traitors.
>>
>>3329814
The French intelligence services partnered with Corsican organized crime, literal drug running gangsters, to act as strikebreakers against the communists in Marseille, who were used as muscle and killed demonstrators on more than one occasion.
>>
>>3329814
Probably not, especially the grenade story. More likely due to using WWII surplus equipment than sabotage.The U.S. paid for most of the French Indochina war, and supplied them with U.S. equipment.
>>
>>3329875
>More likely due to using WWII surplus equipment than sabotage
They literally did sabotage the equipment, though. They werent accidents. There's freely available information about it.
>>3329839
And what? Do you resort to high treason as a revenge?
>>
>>3329592
>politicians sleep soundly in their bundles of money while leftists spit on the grunts doing the dirty work

Dumbass hippies.
>>
>>3329921
I have read those accounts as well, but the fact remains that the French in Indo-China used mostly American equipment. Their grenades were American, not French. Even if French workers in France were sabotaging production the results stayed in France, not Indo-China. Besides, French made grenades at their best were third-rate. not much need for sabo.
>>
>>3329814
damn straight, wish communists nowdays had as much balls as this. if you've failed so utterly at convincing your population to fight that the workers in the arms factories are sabotaging your equipment, every single day you spend fighting is a new level of idocy and inhumanity.

it blows my mind that there are still ultranationalist morons around thinking that not supporting your country in unjust and illegal wars is somehow treason, true patriots know that it is often their duty to defend their country, and the countries of others, from their government
>>
>>3329973
>Dude, kill your own soldiers for the sake of radical Muslims!
>>
>you're entitled to respect because you killed people in some backwater shithole
yeah no
>>
>>3329950
>I have read those accounts as well, but the fact remains that the French in Indo-China used mostly American equipment. Their grenades were American, not French.
>>3329950
The US didnt even supply half of the war equipment used and joined only halfway through the war, though.

>Even if French workers in France were sabotaging production the results stayed in France, not Indo-China.
It didn't. The equipment produced was Much more modern and do You think it was sent to reserves or active soldiers on the field?
>Besides, French made grenades at their best were third-rate. not much need for sabo.
Now you're just being facetious. A grenade is a simple thing to make and the french have been producing those since before the us existed.
>>
File: 1503358104519.png (357KB, 397x402px) Image search: [Google]
1503358104519.png
357KB, 397x402px
>>3329987
>viet kong
>radical muslims
>>
>>3329973
>dude how is war real lmao just kill your own countrymen haha the enemy can't win if you commit suicide
>>
File: War Paint.jpg (41KB, 636x425px) Image search: [Google]
War Paint.jpg
41KB, 636x425px
>>3329149
I wish they did, I wish they did now, I could really go for an insurgency by American Veterans right now, college is so fucking boring, life would be much more interesting if I was going full taliban on Unions and Commies right now
>>
>>3329973
>I don't like what the upper class is doing in this war
>so I'm going to start killing grunts
How are enlisted soldiers not proles? They take orders, build bridges, did trenches, and sleep in holes in the ground, taken from the lower classes normally, and can be executed for refusal to obey.
So you killed them.

I am taking with the far-left here, I shouldn't expect logic.
>>
>>3330007
more like dude, the government is fghting a brutal and barbaric war against peasants who simply want to have self determination, we have far more in common with those peasants than our overlords, we should help them
>>
>>3330035
Political activism and even monetary aid to your causes would be a halfway good way to do.
But you just murder your soldiers.

Every day I learn again that communists are parasites and savages.
>>
>>3329814
>Fighting a colonial fuckin war on another power's dime.

Lol
>>
>>3330035
Why don't you grow a pair of balls and burn down the munitions factory instead if you're so opposed to the fucking war? No, you want to keep to keep cashing your check, making money for your capitalist boss, and only punishing whatever poor French proles that got shipped off to Vietnam as draftees while continuing to benefit from the horrible capitalist system every step of the way.

Communists always want to eat at two dinners while making pretend to have the moral high ground. You are fucking disgusting.
>>
File: for real.gif (1MB, 291x300px) Image search: [Google]
for real.gif
1MB, 291x300px
>>3329987
>>3330007
>>3330025
>>3330048

are any of you morons aware that the first indochina war was so stupendously unpopular in france the government banned the use of troops recruited in european france in the war. the french forces were almost entirely composed of troops recruited in other colonies.

read a fucking book you stupid niggers
>>
>>3330067
>French proles that got shipped off to Vietnam as draftee
of which there literally none since the government banned the use of troops recruited in france in the war
>>
>>3330083
>dude the proles weren't even French they were just niggers from Cameroon recruited into the frl therefore killing proles is okay
lmao just neck yourself commie scum every single day that goes by only proves the only people who were ever involved in any kind of communist direction aciton are just feckless sociopaths who never have the courage to attack the capitalists only other proles they don't like
>>
The media demonized the military and it turned the public against veterans, many of whom were drafted. The US's press has a bad history of using politics to drive sales. The average person has little knowledge or experience in war so they were horrified by the limited exposure to it they had, and rather than attempting to understand why they simply reacting with moral outrage, which fueled further media investigations into military activities in Vietnam, except now they were actively looking for dirt and horror stories they could use to generate more outrage (which for them translated directly into more readership/viewership).
>>
>>3329419
Just looked into the book. A lot of the reviews are written by Vietnam vets who actually did receive abuse for having served in the war, though none of them are from verified purchases. Is the book actually so slanted as to say that no abuse occurred, or is that an assumption made by those who have not read it, and it merely reveals individual instances of wartime propaganda?
>>
File: 1450492743546.jpg (83KB, 407x600px) Image search: [Google]
1450492743546.jpg
83KB, 407x600px
>>3330095
>entire argument destroyed
>total lack of knowledge on subject matter exposed
>resorts to name calling
>>
>>3330025
>joins army to support his countries in a imperialistic war for his porky masters
>expects to be celebrated as a fellow prole
At least Viet vets has the draft

>>3330048
Apparently opposing the war in the first place is not good enough huh?
>>
>>3330075
You're a retard, nobody CARED about the war much. Even the commies didnt use it as their main issue in campaigns.
And are you fucking memeing about that ban, retard? Out of the 500k french troops engaged, 250k were metropolitan french.
Awful, stupid, lying tankie.
>>
>>3330000
From 1945 to app 1949 the French in Indo-China used a mishmash of equipment supplied to them by others. They used captured stocks of Japanese weapons, and surplus stocks of American and English that were originally stockpiled for the invasion of Japan. All of this equipment was stored under the hot, humid climate of the tropical Pacific, and much of it did not fare well. During this period of time virtually all French military production was being used to rearm French regular forces in Europe.

French military forces outside of France were of four types. Regular Army and Navy, which were in the minority in Indo-China. A close second in numbers was the French Foreign Legion, which was treated as a red-headed stepchild. Very low priority for equipping with modern weapons. Colonial troops were made up of people from overseas colonies of France serving outside there home countries. These troops were of even lower priority than the FFL. Last in the supply chain was territorial troops, made up of people from overseas colonies serving in their home countries. A lot of these 'troops' were given sticks to fight with.
>>
>>3329761
>a tiny minority of this group does bad things so i'm justified in treating them all like shit
Hey /pol/
>>
>>3330000
Easy to find memoirs of french infantry personnel who had a low opinion of their grenades, mortars, and even rifles from this period. It took French industry a while to retool after the effects of WWII.
>>
Soldiers are disgusting raping, murdering scumbags with a huge superiority complex, as well as a victim complex.
There's no worth praising an adolescent-raping, whatever-yellow-that-gets-in-scope murdering piece of shit. There never has and never will.
>>
>>3329226
They were drafted into that war, dipshit. Most of them don't have any wealth to show for it.
>>
>>3330162
So what if they were drafted? They still became massive assholes and developed a victim complex.
Fucking Americans.
>>
>>3329149
They didn't.
>>
>>3330135
So is it for every single soldier in every single war. Doesnt exactly set them apart.
>>
>>3329149
The fact that these diaper pooping millennials on this board are talking shit about our Nam vets show that millennials are subhuman and they deserve to be exterminated. All you young whippersnappers do is eat, sleep, drink poop your diapers from all that gay sex you've been having and complain about everything.
>>
>>3329149
>It seems to be very unpatriotic behaviour.
>he believes we should all worship the state and never voice an opinion of dissent

>inb4 but m-muh draft, dey is a good soldier who dindu nuffin!
>>
>>3330547
im gay
>>
>>3330580
>Opinions.
That's all you millenniasl ever do is voice your lefty opinions while you keep filling your diapers to the brim.
>>3330585
I have nothing against gay rights but millennial subhumans are ruining it for everyone. Why can't there be a holocaust against millennials and anyone born in the 1990s? All you do is poop your diapers because you have a diaper fetish and you constantly whine all the time.
>>
>>3330593
You are right, it is an opinion that soldiers deserve respect.
>>
>>3330599
That's right you whippersnapper you, those soldiers weren't shitting in diapers at the age of 18 like all of you millennial subhumans like to do these days. Its disgusting how you subhumans like to behave these days. I bet your poops are really stinky as well as you sexually like a degenerate fill your pants.
>>
It was an unjust war to anyone that wasn't a jingoist.
>>
So which one suffered more loss in term of money and public support, frog or burger?
>>
>>3329149
When ppls lost a war in ancient time They were usually executed if They returned home
>>
File: yikes.jpg (6KB, 197x256px) Image search: [Google]
yikes.jpg
6KB, 197x256px
>>3330024
What better way to celebrate their sacrifice than to destroy what they swore to protect.
>>
>>3330024
>this is your brain on opiates.
>>
>>3330095
You sound mad my little millionaire-to-be
>>
>>3329218
That site is garbage.
>>
>>3330128
Leftypol
>>
It never happened.

It was just anti hippy propoganda created by Nixon.
>>
File: 1500223849867.jpg (1MB, 1665x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1500223849867.jpg
1MB, 1665x2500px
>>3329218
Yes. This.
It's a pop culture myth perpetuated by Hollywood. Hollywood might be liberal in many regards, but they still really push patriotism in a lot of productions.
>>
>>3329470
The myth isn't that they were spat upon for losing, but that they were spat upon for engaging in an imperialist war full of atrocities like mass rape and baby killing.
>>
File: 1483386760435.jpg (160KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
1483386760435.jpg
160KB, 700x525px
>>3330141
There was a draft back then, amigo. It's volunteers and mercenaries now.
>>
>>3332154
>that poor kitty
SAD!
>>
>>3331964
probably the burgers
frogs didn't really give a shit and didn't use that much material
they lost the territory, that's about it
>>
>>3329470
>what is operation dynamo
>>
>>3329149
The average American didn't do it. The fucking hippies did.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.