[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did any ancient civilizations besides Rome organize their standing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: Legion-perspective.gif (76KB, 600x365px) Image search: [Google]
Legion-perspective.gif
76KB, 600x365px
Did any ancient civilizations besides Rome organize their standing army into permanent formations like the legions? It seems like Rome is the only power which organized troops on that basis until you get into the era of pike & shot.

By permanent formations, I don't mean identical to Rome's force structure, but a system of permanent divisions like "I Legion, II Legion, III Legion" as opposed to forming up armies on an ad-hoc basis. I know powers like Persia and China had large and well-organized standing armies, but I don't see much reference to a divisional structure. Did they have one?
>>
>>3328494
>Did they have one?
Yes
>>
>>3328500
How was it structured?
>>
>>3328494

China did not have permanent standing armies.
>>
Every civilization had a core of full time professionals, a ruler's personal bodyguards and politically loyal muscle could double as military units, larger polities often had small standing armies like the Persian immortals or the Sacred Band of Thebes.

The Romans could afford such a large standing army due to the wealth of Mediterranean trade and because of their size relative to the amount of borders they had to defend. Iberia (Spain) for example was surrounded by Roman territory.
>>
File: Han Cavalry.jpg (181KB, 958x1252px) Image search: [Google]
Han Cavalry.jpg
181KB, 958x1252px
>>3328494
If you're referring to Han China- Late Republic & Imperial Rome's contemporary- the only standing army they have was the Interior Army that defended the provinces near the capital. One of the regiments of which was the Imperial Guards.

The rest of the Han military consisted of 2 kinds of armies.
-Provincial armies staffed by a tiny professional core, term soldiers, and during emergencies: volunteers and conscripts (Han Chinese law required males of military age to serve out a term in the army)
-Feudal Lords. The Han period was the last hurrah of Feudal nobility- many the survivors of the Warring States and Qin centralization- who shared power with provincial governors and bureaucrats. These people had household troops of professional soldiers, along with the term conscripts required of them by Imperial Law.

That was Early Han, the Latter Han (post-Wang Mang usurpation) streamlined that into the Southern Army (the interior army & guards) and the Northern Army (the armies provided by provincial governors and lords) who were placed at the peripheries to guard against nomadshits. Conscription was waived in favor of an all volunteer force.

Han China pretty much raised armed forces according to the context of the conflict they're gonna fight. Like during the Xiongnu war where an inordinate amount of cavalry was used by the Chinese due to fighting in the steppes instead of their usual infantry-heavy armies.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.