[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>alright Jacques, what would you say the most pressing self-defence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: French_artillery_short_sword.jpg (4MB, 4104x1677px) Image search: [Google]
French_artillery_short_sword.jpg
4MB, 4104x1677px
>alright Jacques, what would you say the most pressing self-defence requirements for an artilleryman in the French army in this modern 19th century world would be?
>well Laurent, I would reckon that our artillerymen will need good hand protection on the guard, a basket hilt would be ideal but a good sturdy knucklebow wouldn't be too bad either. the blade should be thick and rigid enough to parry blows from bayonets and cavalry swords, but not so heavy as to encumber the soldier, because we'll need good length as well if we want our men to be able to counter threats effectively. cut and thrust designs are nice and would present our soldiers with more options, but given that these men will mostly be fending off hit and run attacks by light cavalry, a thrusting sword would be more advantageous .
>great work Jacques. now forget about all that stupid shit and equip the men with a sword based on a design that has been obsolete for literally thousands of years and was only useful in conjunction with a massive shield

Are the French retarded?
>>
Are you retarded? They have fucking guns. Who gives a fuck what kind of little bitty swords they carried.
>>
>>3326573
Artillerymen don't always have their guns close to hand my dude. Things came down to hand to hand combat a lot more often than you might expect in the 19th century
>>
It was meant as a tool, not as a weapon. /thread
>>
>>3326611

They were expected to flee if attacked you retard. Artillerymen were trained professionals, you don't waste them in hand-to-hand.
>>
>>3326570
Its not for self defense first and foremost. Its a tool for clearing brush and preparing a position, like a machete. Artillerymen could also be issued carbines or muskets you know, it's not actually against any rules.
>>
It's pretty cool looking desu, if I'm going to die I'm gonna die waving around a gladius looking type dealie and that's kinda neat
>>
>>3326573
its sad to see posts like this on a history board, it really is
>>
File: 60078_440x300.jpg (46KB, 440x260px) Image search: [Google]
60078_440x300.jpg
46KB, 440x260px
>>3326570
What are you talking about? This is secondary shortsword, mostly a tool. Artillery officers would be issued artillery sabres.

Here is an example of post-napoleonic 19th century artillery sabre.
>>
>>3328166
Too fucking bad the French Army then and actual historians now don't care about your feelings. The sword was pretty much obsolete in the age of line-infantry, except in the hands of cavalry. And if push came to shove, everyone fixed bayonets.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.