[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>there are people who still believe that the Quaternary extinction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

>there are people who still believe that the Quaternary extinction event wasn't caused by humans

What gives?

The evidence for over-hunting is pretty extensive whereas the climate change hypothesis doesn't hold that much water. If you talk to these people they just WILL NOT accept that Native Americans and Australians could have hunted these megafauna species to death despite the ecological, climatological and archeological to the contrary. I find a lot of these people are the same types who claim that the natives 'lived in harmony' with nature as if such a thing were possible.

Is this the 'Noble Savage' rearing it's ugly, ignorant head again? Should we have hung Rousseau when we had the chance?
>>
>>3325982
Personally, I think it was a combination of both climate change and over-hunting. The idea that humans could hunt massive amounts of animals seems to imply that doing so was an easy task, and that just doesn't seem right. Things only start to make sense, if you consider that these animals are already debilitated by the loss of their habitats, caused by climate change.
>>
>>3326014
Plus, as far as I know there aren't many archaeological sites which show explicit evidence of such extensive hunting. And even the ones that do seem to provide some evidence, have been contested as being more of a natural disaster than a consequence of human hunting.
>>
>>3326014

>throw spears at big slow dumb animals for a few hundred years
>not an easy task
>>
>>3326033

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14142
>>
>>3325982

why did they persist more in africa??
>>
>>3326014
>The idea that humans could hunt massive amounts of animals seems to imply that doing so was an easy task, and that just doesn't seem right

Have you seen how animals react to humans when they've never seen them before? The same way they react to everything they've never seen before: with pensive curiosity. They have to learn to fear us because we're not innately frightening. We're not even all that large and we were puny for the Pleistocene era.

Think about it, an entire continent filled with big, dumb animals coming into contact with Earth's greatest and most prodigious predator; one they didn't even initially know they had to fear. It's like dropping a wolf pack on an island full of deer: the wolf population explodes and the deer population plummets. This could also offer an explanation for how quickly the Americas were populated in the first place.

Ample food -> population explosion -> population pressures -> mass migration to greener pastures with even more dumb walking meat -> repeat

There's also the question of Africa like >>3326043 this anon said. The prevailing theory is that animals in Africa were less vulnerable to human style hunting because we were evolutionary contemporaries and they knew damn well they had to fear us. The climate change theory could maybe account for the small dip during that period but it clearly wasn't a colossal change.

It's even possible I suppose that megafauna extinction lead to environmental and climate changes.
>>
>>3326043
Humans evolved alongside them. They knew how to deal with human trickery.
>>
The evidence for a mass extinction due to drastic climate changes is overwhelming.

Astetroid impact ca 12 000 years ago
>>
>>3326111
Go to bed Graham.
>>
>>3326111
>>3326041
>>
>>3326111
>population slumps of megafauna all happen at different times per continent
>the extinction events directly follow the first human appearance on the continent
>some retard claims they were caused by a singular event world changing event

If that meteor caused the population collapse it would have happened all at once, directly following the meteors impact, not in dribs and drabs. And why was Africa unaffected?
>>
>>3326875
>And why was Africa unaffected?

Meteors fear the black warrior.
>>
File: 1503869011754s.jpg (7KB, 236x250px) Image search: [Google]
1503869011754s.jpg
7KB, 236x250px
>>3326035
>being this stupid
>>
>>3326089
Homo Sapiens more like Perfidious Sapiens
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.