[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If the war never happened, would Wernher have still gotten his

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: V2 rocket.jpg (118KB, 962x735px) Image search: [Google]
V2 rocket.jpg
118KB, 962x735px
If the war never happened, would Wernher have still gotten his funding?

Furthermore, would the Germans have been the first to space in this case?
>>
>>3324216
It really depends if they get their funding before the impending post war economic crash.
>>
>>3324216
Probably not much, the rockets weren't particularly useful although if they had been produced earlier and in larger numbers, the civilian death toll in the UK would have been higher.

A better question is, what kind of horror would Allied bombers have faced if Hitler had become obsessed with jet planes prior to WW2?

>Several years before World War II, the Germans foresaw the great potential for aircraft that used the jet engine constructed by Hans Joachim Pabst von Ohain in 1936. After the successful test flights of the world's first jet aircraft—the Heinkel He 178—within a week of the Invasion of Poland to start the war, they adopted the jet engine for an advanced fighter aircraft. As a result, the Me 262 was already under development as Projekt 1065 (P.1065) before the start of World War II. The project originated with a request by the Reichsluftfahrtministerium (RLM, Ministry of Aviation) for a jet aircraft capable of one hour's endurance and a speed of at least 850 km/h (530 mph; 460 kn).[10] Dr Waldemar Voigt headed the design team, with Messerschmitt's chief of development, Robert Lusser, overseeing.[11]
>>
>>3324216
I have a hunch that the answer would probably be neither,

it depends on the circumstances of the world/the change in the timeline,

>Different end to ww1,
>Different Terms in the Treaty of Versailles .
>Different Outcome of the Russian Revolution/bolshevik power-struggle.
>etc. etc.
>>
>>3324469
>what kind of horror would Allied bombers have faced if Hitler had become obsessed with jet planes prior to WW2?
the kind of when they tune down bombing operations for a couple of weeks to catch up in terms of equipment and tactics and focus on their own jet development under whittle & co
>>
>>3324492
following on to this (I wanted to make sure the thread wouldn't disappear on me while I was typing).

I'm going to assume that ww1 ended just like it did In our timeline, but neither Germany nor the USSR made themselves appear closed/dangerous/threatening to the rest of the world.

this is a long yard for me to merely set the stage for the question OP asked. (as it removes some of the big concerns from the minds of poland, UK, France, etc, preventing ww2 as we know it and also any other 1940's conflict that might erupt/escalate)

>Von Braun/those we associate with developing the V2 rocket and Project Paperclip are
>either Obscure Hobbyists,
>developers of sounding rockets for atmospheric/meteorological data-surveys,
>designers/developers of rockets for military use (not like guided rocket-bombs, but like large flares, or takeoff assistance, or rocket-propelled/boosted fighter-interceptors or recon planes)

Space travel is instead built up to: Essentially the trend was aviation technology to be developed/encouraged to develop by way of government contracts or prize-money. (these pushed the boundries of speed, altitude and range).

so it's going to be some kind of Jet-powered vehicle, probably in like 1949 or even the mid 1950's, it depends a lot on the political situation, minor wars, inadequacies, or breakthroughs.

I'm curious if passenger air-travel/airlines will still take off to the degree they did post-ww2 (when you had bombers that either shared a lot of parts with, or could easily be converted to commercial passenger aircraft sitting around).

If it does, I'm not sure we'd see something like in our timeline, where the 1960's was full of development for stuff like SST's or manned space-exploration, or whatever. As these were things that emerged out of the cold-war, and which had it's roots in the massive defense spending/R&D that went on in ww2.
>>
>>3324216
They might have. The Germans had such an advanced rocketry program because rockets weren't banned by the treaty of Versailles, so if Germany doesn't leave the treaty, who knows?
>>
you really don't know, maybe we would have been on Mars decades ago
>>
>>3324216

Without the war, the Nazi economy would have collapsed. So no.
>>
>>3324216
There was almost no funding for the German rocket engineers before they got swallowed by the military, so that's a consideration.

They DID score the first manmade object in space, by inventing a reason to do a V2 test launch straight up.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.