[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't medieval europeans conquer each other? The way

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: Otto-26.jpg (287KB, 1032x1425px) Image search: [Google]
Otto-26.jpg
287KB, 1032x1425px
Why can't medieval europeans conquer each other? The way Greeks and Romans managed to?

Like the great conquests of the Medieval Ages was pretty much.
>Charlemagne.
>Normans in England, Sicily
That was pretty much it.

Its like Euronigs fight for the sake of fighting each other.
>>
>>3320002
>Its like Euronigs fight for the sake of fighting each other.

Yes... and?

Truth is that almost all medieval wars were glorified inheritance conflicts rather than wars of pure conquest. They'd fight for a while and then conclude the war with a treaty because that is how Christians treated each other most of the time.
>>
Castles. Lots of castles. Castles all over the place. It could take months or years to capture one, that is assuming there isn't another army nearby that can stop you.

Romans and Greeks would capture a city and control a region, in medieval europe you'd need to capture a dozen forts to hold that same region. Decentralised and fortified areas are hard to conquer.
>>
>>3320002
The Church.
>>
>>3320002
Hundreds of lesser kingdoms were wiped off the map, I don't get this question.
>>
>>3320002
Because most medieval Euronig wars were over inheritance and titles. They're basically leadership changes as opposed to some grand conquest where the conqueror moves his people & culture into a place.

Even the Norman Invasion of England was an inheritance shitfight. It just so happened that shitloads of Normans decided to make England their home.
>>
File: europe_1100_ad.jpg (240KB, 936x758px) Image search: [Google]
europe_1100_ad.jpg
240KB, 936x758px
>>3320002
The other great Medieval conquest was the Magyar conquest of the Carpathian Basin.

Bunch of steppenigs carved a huge piece of Carpathia for themselves, although they only unified in the 1000s.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.