[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you personally believe in God or some sort of higher beeing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

File: spirituality.jpg (89KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
spirituality.jpg
89KB, 640x360px
Do you personally believe in God or some sort of higher beeing? Or do you think we are alone in the universe?
>>
>>3312388

Yes.
>>
>>3312388
That's not really an 'or' question.
>>
>>3312392
Please feel free to elaborate what exactly you believe in
>>
*burp*
>>
>>3312398
My apologies, I didn't think it would too complex to understand. You don't have to believe in "God or some sort of higher being" to think it is entirely possible to think we are not the only sentient life form that exists.
>>
>>3312407
so you dont believe in god but believe in aliens, is that fair to say?
>>
>>3312409
I think it is possible, maybe even probable that a sentient life form exists elsewhere in our universe most certainly. Also, while I'm not a physicist my understanding is that a lot of physicists now believe the probability is that there are a lot of other universes, although it is not a proven fact.

I'm not sure I would word it as "believes in aliens" given the various implications of that potentially entails. I have never seen any good evidence "aliens" have ever come to Earth.
>>
>>3312388
Yes. I think the fact that something rather than nothing exists requires an explanation and the atheists belief doesn't provide one.
>>
>>3312463
Nor do theists.
>>
>>3312409
In what way would God not be alien to the human race?
>>
I believe in God, but God as I understand is not an entity insofar as God is not an object, subject or even an abstraction for that matter.
I am further of the position that revealed religions have no premiums on truth.
>>
>>3312474
No, the explanation is a God.
>>
>>3312490
Even if I was prepared to grant you just saying "God" was an explanation of anything that is clearly not an explanation why something rather than nothing exists, unless you don't consider whatever your conception of a "god" as "something".
>>
>>3312499
I would say God is a far better explanation than the atheist belief of "the universe just came randomly out of nothing for no reason". And God doesn't exist inside the universe as we understand it. He exists on a different plane (possibly heaven)
>>
>>3312514
You still aren't addressing the question of "why there is something rather than nothing?", unless you are claiming that your conception of god isn't "something". You are just deliberately evading what I just said to you.
>>
>>3312532
But I just did answer you. I said God doesn't exist in the universe as we understand it therefore he wouldn't be considered "something"
>>
>>3312539
Why would he not be considered as "something" just because he, allegedly, isn't in our universe?
>>
>>3312532
>"why there is something rather than nothing?"

Because God has always existed.

Because God created this universe.
>>
>>3312554

Not only is that an unsubstantiated claim it is still not an answer to "why does something exist rather than nothing?" Unless you are claiming "god" is not "something" then you have not answered the question.
>>
>>3312576
Your question, and your refusal to comprehend the answer, demonstrate that you are not looking for a real answer, but are experiencing some sort of suicidal or existential crisis.

There is something because God exists.

Why does God exist? is irrelevant.

God exists.

Why does the universe exist?

Because God caused it to exist.

You prefer nothing to living, which is why I posited that you are either suicidal or losing an intellectual fight with nihilism.
>>
File: 1498303669603.gif (1MB, 497x282px) Image search: [Google]
1498303669603.gif
1MB, 497x282px
>>3312666
>Why does God exist? is irrelevant.
>>
>>3312675
It absolutely is irrelevant to question why God exists.

God exists.

Deal with it.
>>
>>3312576
>The universe exists = an unsubstantiated claim.

You sure about that, sport?
>>
>>3312680
nope
>>
>>3312666

There's no lack of comprehension. Theists have no more ability than the non-religious to answer the question "Why does something rather than nothing exist?".

In your worldview God is "something" i.e. a thing that exists as compared to "nothing" a thing that does not exist. You are not claiming claiming that God does not exist, therefore you are not answering the question "Why does something rather than nothing exist?".

You are making the claime "something came from something" and not answering the question "how did something come from nothing?".

Why does God exist?

>>3312701
I said the claim ..

>Because God has always existed.
>Because God created this universe.

...was unsubstantiated.
>>
The cause of existence itself requires an answer, and you could call that answer God, though it wouldn't explain much. The mystery is still there either way.
>>
>>3312723
>Why does God exist?

Irrelevant.

God exists.

Deal with it.
>>
>>3312723
God is the title for the being who created the universe.

The universe exists (even in your crazy ass mind).

Therefore the person who made the universe exists (even if you don't believe he does).

Facts. Start dealing with facts.
>>
File: lel.jpg (60KB, 388x532px) Image search: [Google]
lel.jpg
60KB, 388x532px
>>3312733
>>
>>3312727
It's not a mystery at all. God exists, and made the universe.

You guys are way behind the 8 ball.

You need to know why God created the universe, for what purpose, and what your part in it is.

And you need to get up to speed quick.
>>
File: Frodo.jpg (200KB, 1600x1201px) Image search: [Google]
Frodo.jpg
200KB, 1600x1201px
>>3312738
>facts
>>
>>3312749
Yes, start dealing with facts. Your imaginations and feelings are not facts.
>>
>>3312752

I might check this thread later to see if someone who is not a ridiculous shitposter who can actually hold a conversation is on.
>>
>>3312743
This doesn't answer what I said.
>>
>>3312758

HERP DERP WHY DOES GOD EXIST????

Yeah, you're an excellent conversationalist.
>>
>>3312762
It's been answered several times. As stated above, you're not looking for answers.
>>
>>3312727

GOD IS THE CAUSE FOR EXISTENCE

HENCE HIS NAME IS "I AM"
>>
>>3312775
Doesn't that strike you as a little bit of a circular argument?
>>
>>3312767
I am looking for answers, but I'm not looking for an answer that isn't sufficient. Calling the mystery of existence for "God" doesn't change the fact that it is a mystery.
>>
>>3312842
It's a mystery to you because you refuse to acknowledge that there is a God who has rights over you, power over you, and to whom you cannot measure up.

Get off your soap box.

God terrifies you.

>>3312787
Not in the slightest.
>>
>>3312856
>It's a mystery to you because you refuse to acknowledge that there is a God who has rights over you, power over you, and to whom you cannot measure up.

This isn't an argument. I cannot acknowledge something I cannot see, nor taste, nor hear.

And I'm going to preempt you by calling you an argumentative dick because your answer to this is almost guaranteed to be "You're not listening or seeing good enough", or "You haven't talked to a priest".
>>
File: PyramidLandowner.png (1MB, 1059x850px) Image search: [Google]
PyramidLandowner.png
1MB, 1059x850px
>>3312388
>>3312480
>>3312871

>Do you personally believe in God or some sort of higher beeing? Or do you think we are alone in the universe?

Definitely...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54
>>
No, I see no reason as to why I should believe in fiction.
>>
>>3312388
It's possible that higher beings exist but to be honest, as a Jedi, I believe in the Force and no logical positivist, materialist, Christian or Muslim has ever demonstrated to me that the Force is not real.
>>
>>3312388
I dunno lol
>>
>>3312680
It's not that easy, you still have to prove His existence.
>>
File: S O F I A.png (1MB, 525x525px) Image search: [Google]
S O F I A.png
1MB, 525x525px
>>3312388
>Do you personally believe...

THAT IS A PLEONASM; ONE CANNOT "IMPERSONALLY BELIEVE".

>... in God or some sort of higher beeing [SIC]?

YES, I BELIEVE, AND HAVE FAITH, IN GOD, AND KNOW IT VIA SOFIA.

>Or do you think we are alone in the universe?

1. DEFINE "WE".

2. DEFINE "ALONE".

3. IF THERE IS A UNIVERSE, IT IS A GIVEN CERTAINTY THAT THERE IS AT LEAST A CREATOR, BUT THE CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE IS NOT GOD; SOFIA CREATED THE UNIVERSE, AND THE DEMIOURGOS IALDABAOTH, USURPED AUTHORITY OVER IT.
>>
That's a complicated question. It depends on what you mean by "God".

It helps no one to be reductive. I feel that, that we are here, implies to some degree, that there are forces larger than us. Now we can get into the semanticalities, but the very notion of belief itself can be rhetorically whittled to the bare nub of its meaning.

I'd like to talk to you a lot more about this. Would you be interested in reading some of my literature?
>>
File: Life'Os.jpg (38KB, 350x465px) Image search: [Google]
Life'Os.jpg
38KB, 350x465px
>>3313246
Mah. Nigga.
>>
>>3313246
Fruitata!
>>
>>3313095
No, no I do not. Nor does God.
>>
>>3312388
I believe that no higher powers intervene in our affairs. Whether they exist I do not know. There may be an afterlife, or there may be a "reforming" of our souls on different planets. Maybe new universes pop into existence every trillion gazillion years. If we can be born once, maybe we can be born infinite times. We wouldn't remember previous lives, of course. Or there could be a larger reality in which this is more like a VR simulation, and in that reality, we do remember. There is no way to know.
>>
No, I do not believe in an omnipotent, omnipresent force. I believe in a strictly natural materialist universe without any phenomena that cannot be measured or observed. The only limit is human understanding at any one moment, which will either evolve to be greater or reach its inevitable plateau.
>>
>>3313258
You guys are really shilling this shit hard huh
>>
>>3313796
>I am god, the post.
>>
i'm a gentile but based on historical evidence, I believe in the god of the jews
>>
>>3313823
Then stop being a gentile and become a new creation in Christ Jesus (Romans 10:9-13)
>>
>>3313843

Isn't Christianity like Judaism but with greco-roman influences shoved into it?
>>
>>3312388
No and anyone that does is an intellectually dishonest devolved subhuman.
>>
>>3313804
How can you shill a television program that ended nearly 10 years ago
>>
>>3312738
Oh, you just get to label the universe as a creation? That's convenient. I wish I could just define things into existence.
>>
>>3313808
>Guy has an honest opinion and states it clearly.
>Theist shitposts him and strawmans his opinion.

Every time.
>>
>>3312388
I believe in the scandinavian gods
>>
I'm open to the idea of a higher being but xe is evidently not invested in our well-being, does not respond to prayer and if there is a judgment placed on us after death it will be an unfair one.
>>
>>3315282
>does not respond to prayer
speak for yourself
>>
>>3315315
Do you think prayers have a scientifically provable effect on reality?
For example, if you pray for a coin to land on the head 1000 times, will it land on the head more often than 500 times?
>>
>>3313332
Then how do you want us to believe in Him ? Why Him and not Vishnu, Izanami and Izanagi, Chaos or whatever religious pantheon ? And if He exist, which version of him is right ? The jewish one, the mulsmin one, the deist one or the christian one ? And let's say that the christian one is the right one, we would still have to find out if the right one is the catholic one, the protestant one, the mormonic one or whatever sub christian version of him !

Long story short: Do you know what's the burden for prove is ?
>>
>>3312388
No, there is no god. I pity the brainlets who believe in such a fantasy, although I do acknowledge the utilitarian value of having an organized religion to guide the behavior of the unintelligent masses.
>>
File: straw.png (1MB, 1181x986px) Image search: [Google]
straw.png
1MB, 1181x986px
>>3313808
You're not even fighting a strawman at this point.
>>
>>3312388
>Do I believe in God?
No.
>Do I think there is alien life in the Universe?
Yes.
>>
I believe that God is, that our universe is not necessarily a direct creation of His - could as well be a computer simulation but God still is beyond all layers we imagine or discover.

And that the main or possibly only revelation of that God we have is that we can receive His love, actually anything and everything receives that love equally - it's just that being self aware, environment aware, intelligent and capable of abstract thinking - you can develop inside you a desire to bestow that same love or imitate that love towards other things.

Now this is where it all ends for me and I'm not sure what can be done, it seems to me that this cosmic love just is and we have no direct communications from it, favors and so on so we just continue our lives being born and dying - I'll just try until I die to approach this love more and try to experience it towards other human beings - because that love where you empty yourself entirely and try to bestow yourself and all your being towards someone else are ironically the only moments in my life where I felt full and nothing else matter, not even that I will die or that existence is pain and so on.

Maybe inside that love anything is possible including survival after death, but how many of us get caught by death being inside that love?
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.