[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WWI was a little relevant in one of my critical analyses of a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

File: Bullshit.png (32KB, 390x339px) Image search: [Google]
Bullshit.png
32KB, 390x339px
WWI was a little relevant in one of my critical analyses of a document which I submitted to university. I criticized the author who claimed that World War 1 could have been avoided without the assassination, for which the marker gave me this comment.

Is he wrong?
>>
So, like anything else, define your terms.

If by WW1 you mean the alliance of Russia, Britain, and France getting into a war with Germany and Austria-Hungary over the death of the Austrian Archduke from Serbian irridentism then, yes, no assassination means no war. If, however, you define the first world war as a global, albeit primarily European, conflict between involving all of the significant imperial Western states, then no, that ship started sailing years if not decades before Franz Ferdinand's visit to Sarajevo was ever planed.

Personally, I blame Bismarck and I also wrote a paper on it for a 4th year university course a few years back. The tl;dr version is that Bismarck didn't read the tea leaves that Germany would, inevitably, come to blows with Russia and that France was never going to get over losing Alsace & Metz. There are anecdotes from French & Russian ambassadors in the 1830's discussing what would happen if Germany united, and how it would end up with them getting stomped on.
>>
File: gencot8sndoqw8d.jpg (209KB, 686x385px) Image search: [Google]
gencot8sndoqw8d.jpg
209KB, 686x385px
Austria-Hungary clearly was unstable at this time. Could they have resisted the rising tides of ethno-nationalism? It's definitely hard to say. Archduke Ferdinand was ironically a moderating voice in regard to self-determination. He was somewhat well-received, and was warned again and again by the mayor of Belgrade that something was likely to happen. So maybe he was kind of thick? Maybe in every timeline he dies in some ridiculous way, eventually leading eventually to a civil war.

One cannot discount the hysteria in France about Germany's growing population and influence either. Or Russia's fawning over it's demi-Slavic "brothers" in the Balkans.
>>
>>3310041
>Archduke Ferdinand was ironically a moderating voice in regard to self-determination.
This was the issue. If the "Serbs" in Bosnia and Dalmatia are happy as Austro-Hungarian subjects, they'll never be part of Greater Serbia; Franz Ferdinand was an existential threat to the Serbian nationalist agenda.

>Or Russia's fawning over it's demi-Slavic "brothers" in the Balkans.
Ironically, Germany caused this. While Russia was building their Siberian railway and worrying about Manchuria, A-H needed something to keep busy with, and it was Bismarck who suggested they get their own half of the Balkans as a sphere of influence.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.