[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are many of the concepts enshrined in western liberalism (things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1408983684802.jpg (182KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1408983684802.jpg
182KB, 1024x1024px
Are many of the concepts enshrined in western liberalism (things like free speech, democracy, 'do what you want so long as it doesn't harm others') bad memes? I don't mean memes in the internet sense, I mean in the traditional sense. Ideas that can easily and effectively transmit to others.

Most of these things seem more able to cannibalize themselves and less capable of proselytizing themselves than memes such as religion, which tend to enshrine certain beliefs and discourage questioning them. Say what you will about religions like Islam, when you enshrine that a certain set of rules is protected by a divine figure and harshly punish apostasy you can prevent people from questioning / rejecting it, even in the face of rational argument. Whereas concepts like free speech, by their nature, permit contrary ideas to survive and sometimes thrive, to the point where they can grow in strength and then abolish it (whether it's something like fascism, theocracy, etc). It seems clear enough that the ideal that rational ideas will ultimately prevail is giving the average individual's reasoning skills too much credit, especially as we learn more and more how easily manipulated populations can be. Democracies can potentially elect authoritarians, those who ignore the behavior of others so long as it doesn't affect them can allow certain ideologies to grow under their noses, etc.

Are all these ideals destined to fail in the long run, or do they have the capacity to spread to a degree that outdoes their flaws?
>>
should have just blamed the jews
>>
Yes, they're all stupid memes
>>
Your thinking seem to revolve around free speech. I think it's an absolutely necessary mechanism for a society to prosper. I also think that these ideals are destined to fail in the short run, if ever, and prosper in the long run. But your question is so vast I don't know what to latch on to or where to begin.
>>
They're good memes in general, but they fail when either A) they're used as means to an end, when people are not committed to rationality but rather the advancement of their own ideas or B) when people living in such a society refuse to acknowledge those individuals and groups who reject rationality as a legitimate basis of government.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.