[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello everybody, it's my first time on /his/, it looks like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Lucien_Febvre-Strasbourg.jpg (135KB, 512x723px) Image search: [Google]
Lucien_Febvre-Strasbourg.jpg
135KB, 512x723px
Hello everybody, it's my first time on /his/, it looks like a cool board!

I study history at univ in France and i wonder if anyone was interested by talking about historiography. Do you think history is a science? What's your point of view of the Annales? Can an historian be totally unbiased?
>>
>>3306998
A historians bias is an intresting topic although I find it comes down less to societal influences and more to intentions regarding research, retrieving select information from data or building your conclusion on interpretation of texts. I'd say most history students do the former wheras only those with access to records can do the later.
>>
>>3306998
An historian is always biased. Period.
>>
>>3306998
How is the mood in French historiography nowadays? Is Annales School still dominant?
>>
>>3307437

Hard to explain, especially since it's been a while since i had historiography lessons. I'd say that the general mood is still close to the annales, with some focus on events or characters that shaped history, but focusing on the way these events and characters are part of something bigger.

but new methods and new ways of studying (and, then, teaching) history tend to appear, especially since Patrick Boucheron got promoted to the College de France (the holy kingdom of french studies in all domains, from mathematics to music and history). Boucheron is not the typical annalist, for example he wrote an essay in which he imagines how a meeting of Leonardo Da Vinci and Machiavelli would have looked like and what they could have discussed of, even if there's no source describing such a meeting, not even saying that it happened. I also attended a lecture called "Image, propaganda, politics", fascinating really.
>>
>>3307470
I see, thanks. Glad to see French medievalists are still going strong. Do you prefer Le Goff or Duby in that matter? I've only read Medieval Civilization from Le Goff, while Duby just seems more appealing to me and i can't get enough of him.
>>
>>3307509
I'd take Duby over Le Goff by far, even if both are great historians
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.