[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BBC offers option pidgin. Act of tolerance dumbing down of English

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: BBC pidgin.png (495KB, 1366x968px) Image search: [Google]
BBC pidgin.png
495KB, 1366x968px
I don't know if this belongs on /his/ or /int/ because it's based on language (therefore anthropology) but if this isn't the right board it'd be appreciated if mods can move it.

So does /his/ think this is a good thing? on one hand alot of West Africans read bbc so they should have a translation. On the other hand this "pidgin" seems to just be a poor rendering of phonetic English with little to no African admixture. At least in the USA news articles already write at 7th grade level. Do they really need to dumb down the English language even further to the level of a 3 year old? Shouldn't West Africans learn standard English?
>>
Aren't most west Africans francophone?
>>
It's not much of a change from English, and they can't put African words in there because of the huge diversity of African languages across ex English Colonies.

>>3294126
Also this? Scratching my head desu, seems like this is a bit of a waste of time

>in b4 /pol/ shits up the thread with accusations of MUH LIBRULL MEEDEEYUH
>>
>>3294126
Nigeria and Liberia speak English.
>>
>>3294148
Wouldn't it be more effective to post it in the local Nigerian dialect, then?
>>
File: 1501063018295.jpg (262KB, 1284x980px) Image search: [Google]
1501063018295.jpg
262KB, 1284x980px
>>3294103
Also just noticed
>No toilet equal divorce
ENTIRE POPULATION OF INDIA ABOUT TO BE SINGLE
>>
I'm guessing this is in a region where there are a lot of groups with mutually unintelligible native languages but who all are familiar with this low-admixture pidgin, so it's easier to translate articles into this one rudimentary language a few thousand people can understand instead of translating it into a million languages with 50 speakers each.

At any rate, whether or not that guess is right, the BBC is a for-profit website, and the only consideration they should be making is whether or not translating articles into this language is profitable or not, which I imagine it is.
>>
>>3294103

Pretty sure the use of "th" is going to be considered racist and colonialist soon
>>
>>3294103
I can't imagine it'd cost that much, and having africans read the BBC will increase it's international prestiege as a reliable source, a useful thing for Britain to have.
>>
>>3294150
>implying whitebois can comprehend egyptian-kush, the sacred dielect of all West Africa
kek.
>>
>india arcticle
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAA
>>
Breaking News! Monarchist propaganda website finally adopts the language of kangz!
>>
>>3294168
Only one ITT who gets it
>>
Pidgin languages shouldn't be enabled or encouraged desu. Either write BBC articles in proper English for Anglophone African nations or don't write it all.
>>
>>3294103
English is a dumbed down version of what the Angles and Saxons spoke. And that's only after their influence from French speaking vikings invaded and left their mark on the language. Languages change over time. It is not "dumbing down". It's just change
>>
It's a good bait attempt, but there's a fine line between Pidgin and say, "hood talk".
>t.someone who did mission work in Jamaica this summer and understands how an accent can easily become it's own tongue
>>
>>3294103
pidgins aren't dumbed down languages, they're incomplete languages formed for the purpose of communication between two groups of people who speak different languages and don't know anything about the other's language.
I'm pretty sure this is a creole anyway
>>
>>3294499
Pidgins are literally extremely dumbed by definition. It's how they form. Your post is a massive false equivalence.
>>
File: Menno_simons.jpg (101KB, 532x640px) Image search: [Google]
Menno_simons.jpg
101KB, 532x640px
>>3294509
Besides, creoles should be celebrated. I live in a small city where the majority population is a obscure ethnic group with it's own language.
>>
>>3294103
Pidgin English isn't "dumbed down"....its a dialect (or a number of them)
In Ireland they have Irish language programming which is basically a dead language...Having more language options can make you more money (ie, spanish language channels in the US)...why is pidgin english programming some kind of issue and "tolerance" thing?
because this is a retarded /pol/ thread
get the fuck outa here
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.