[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

desert people >created what would become the modern math

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: hammraubi.jpg (308KB, 1185x1580px) Image search: [Google]
hammraubi.jpg
308KB, 1185x1580px
desert people

>created what would become the modern math system (10's)
>created algebra
>created code of laws
>created some of the first laws against the king abusing their power (the mitsvah)
>created beautiful abstract art
>created the three abrahamic religions which has their own history of culture and art
>ethnically linked to the Greeks
>Created several giant empires
>created civilization as we know it
>the silk road carried the modern numeral alphabet from India to Europe
>created several inventions
>created chess

>pillaged peaceful europe not for resources or ideological expansion but for shits and giggles
>sailed to some random places without really settling them much at all except maybe Iceland

Why do people idolize the vikings so much? I can't really understand it because Scandinavia didn't start contributing until after they were done with being viking pillagers.
>>
>>3292116

People don't "idolize" the Vikings.
>>
>>3292123
Most white supremacists unironically do though.
>>
Most of things were done by south asians actually
>>
>>3292364
That's not true. I like the crusaders alot more. Never met anybody who idolized the vikings.
>>
You caught me right when I was going to sleep, OP, so I'm not gonna write an awful lot.

First of all, a culture doesn't need to 'contribute' to human advancement or whatever the fuck to be interesting.

Second of all, normies have no goddamn understanding of history at all. They think Vikings were epic warriors who dominated Europe for hundreds of years and they think that's cool. That, or they watch that dumb fucking TV show on the "History" channel.

Third of all, I would not call Viking-age Europe 'Peaceful' by any account. Also, vikings totally pillaged for resources: wealth, which could be used to increase and exert personal influence at home, and in instances such as the Great Heathen Army or the army of Cnut the Great, arable land.

If you can't understand why certain people find certain things interesting I'm not sure what I can do for you. I, personally, find Viking-Age Scandinavia interesting for a lot of reasons. I like Pagan Germanic history in general because I think it's a very interesting culture for its emphasis on rugged individualism and liberty, its decentralized power in society, and their somewhat proto-democratic institutions like Thing assemblies. It's also something very distinct from later medieval cultures due to being non-Christian. Iceland is neat for persisting for some hundreds of years with "no king but the law" and no executive branch or office of power higher than regional chieftain: citizens themselves were expected to enforce the law, while simultaneously adhering to it. Didn't always work out but it's a neat concept.

I think it's incredible that they crossed the Atlantic and did trade in the Levant. Scandinavians had a huge influence on the British Isles and the English language as well. They supported a trade network that connected Dublin, Ireland to Constantinople.

I could go on but nobody else probably cares and I'm tired. There's my 2 cents, OP.
>>
>>3292447
>>3292116
I know realize you explicitly said 'idolize'. My bad, OP, for misunderstanding your post.

I maintain that it's just historical illiteracy that makes people idolize vikings. Personally, I find iron-age Norse and Germanic culture interesting for other reasons, for reasons I made clear earlier, but I wouldn't say I 'idolize' them.
>>
>>3292116
>Unlike any other race of people on this Earth
>literally the counterculture of the 9th and 10th century
>the living embodiment of the idea that might makes right
Gee, I wonder why people would idolize these people
>>
>>3292116
>it's an "all of the middle east is a desert" episode
Fuck off BRAINLET
>>
>>3292364
Only if they're blood and soil volk faggots
>>
>>3292438
Are you saying you are a white supremacist?
>>
File: 1b3.jpg (65KB, 1000x1166px) Image search: [Google]
1b3.jpg
65KB, 1000x1166px
>>3292116
>desert people
What did he mean by this????
>>
>>3292123
Yes they do
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.