[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where French settlers okay with having their sovereignty exchanged

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: louisiana_purchase_map_2.jpg (90KB, 800x543px) Image search: [Google]
louisiana_purchase_map_2.jpg
90KB, 800x543px
Where French settlers okay with having their sovereignty exchanged like used cloths? I get some of them might have been against Napoleon, but I doubt they were all super excited to become Americans.
>>
* Were
> sorry I should've looked before posting
>>
>>3291807
Which settlers? Basically no european lived in Louisiana at the time of the purchase.
>>
>>3293454
around new orleans there certainly were settlers
>>
>Its non-native population was around 60,000 inhabitants, of whom half were African slaves.
>>
>>3293505
That's still 30,000 people who just got turned into Americans with no say in the matter. Why was there no revolt?
>>
>>3294010
Tbh nationalism wasn't really a thing.

You still had big pieces of land exchanged between kingdoms and not much people gave a damn.

So 30k people..
>>
Also those french settlers had experienced spanish rule for quite a while between the seven years war and the napoleonic wars so I don't think they really cared at this point.
>>
>>3293454
st. louis existed as a fort and there were fur traders living with natives at where Louis and Clark spent their first winter, I forget where.
>>
>>3291807
there weren't any french settlers, there were itinerant french adventurers, criminal and trappers, but the french never settled north america. the sum total of french settlers in north america is represented by Quebec. The anglos (including scots), with the help of german immigrants settled north america. that is why virtually every county in the midwest and west, except along the mexican border is majority german ancestry
>>
>>3291807
Pissing off a few trappers and selling off indefensible land was an acceptable price to pay for convincing the Americans to fuck with the British and Spanish for you.
>>
>>3291807
>retard who doesn't understand that people had different values and thoughts in the past tries to put his own values and thoughts on people in the past
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.