[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You get to retrieve 1 (one) lost book from history. Which one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1502812857830s.jpg (8KB, 240x250px) Image search: [Google]
1502812857830s.jpg
8KB, 240x250px
You get to retrieve 1 (one) lost book from history. Which one is it and what was supposedly about.
>>
One of the books of the Sybelline prophecies, held in the Temple of Jupiter.

What might be even more interesting would be a chance to see the books that were supposedly burned before Tarquinius Superbus paid up.
>>
>Any lost work by Pythagoras
>Any lost work by Proclus
>The Chaldean Oracles
The Neoplatonic "Gospel", considered to be revealed by the gods and contain the essence of to all Platonic and Pythagorean philosophy. Survived only in fragments.
>AristotleĀ“s On the Pythagoreans
Aristotle's still considered the best source on the Pythagoreans due to scarse passages alone. He, however, wrote an entire book on the Pythagoreans, unfortunately lost.
>Pherecydes of Syros' Heptamychia
Pherecydes is said to be Pythagoras' teacher. In this book he taught his doctrine by means of myths.
>Parmenides extant On Nature
Parmenides' only known work, survived only in fragments.
>>
>>3284956
fuck, Iunno. The Jackdaw or the Book of Thoth?
>>
>>3285743
>The Jackdaw

This beats me. Elaborate?
>>
>>3284956
Against the galileans. Blew the early christfaggots out so hard they burned all the copies after Julian died.
>>
The criticism of abrahamic religions Marcus Aurelius wrote that got christians and jews so buttsteamed they burned every single copy to the point where there's no known examples.
>>
>>3285034
>One of the books of the Sybelline prophecies, held in the Temple of Jupiter.

Better specify at what moment in time -- those fuckers were re-written and destroyed and recreated more than once.
>>
>>3286284
Partially survives in quotes incorporated into other sources.

http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/julian_apostate_galileans_1_text.htm

Presumably you know this, but somebody else might not.

I think your assertion about why it was destroyed may be a bit off. The work was destroyed more as being offensive, along with other pagan texts, than out of any irrefutably solid argument it raised. The bits of it we still have are from quotes from refutations, after all.
>>
>>3286301
Never heard of this one, so you interest me. Can't even find a reference to it, can you say anything more?
>>
First draft of "Dr. Jekyll and Mister Hyde." Stevenson wrote the draft in one night, but it so terrified his wife that he destroyed it. Later, unable to get the story out of his head, he wrote it again -- presumably this version did not sufficiently terrify his wife that it had to be likewise destroyed, and that's the basis for the story we have.

Not of huge historical importance, but I'm curious...
>>
A book I loved as a child and read all the time but lost it one day and cant remember its name or plot details.
>>
File: everyone poops.jpg (328KB, 1803x2034px) Image search: [Google]
everyone poops.jpg
328KB, 1803x2034px
>>3286372
Don;t fret, bro, I got this...

Here you go.
>>
The Telegony
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.