[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the US and USSR act like such manchild faggots to eachother

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: germans.jpg (94KB, 780x520px) Image search: [Google]
germans.jpg
94KB, 780x520px
Why did the US and USSR act like such manchild faggots to eachother in WW2?

I get that (on paper at-least) their political ideologies pretty much couldn't be much further opposed, but some of the shit they did is puzzling. Truman said he didn't care if it was Germans or Russians dying so long as they were both losing, both sides started a scorched earth-tier policy on each others parts of Germany after Yalta, and neither side were co-operative in Operation Frantic, despite it being mutually beneficial.

I guess what I mean to ask is, couldn't they deal with the war first, then decide they hated eachother?
>>
>>3284131
>I guess what I mean to ask is, couldn't they deal with the war first, then decide they hated eachother?

it was obvious they were going to beat the Germans eventually. To ignore the post-war world have been absolutely foolish; I genuinely don't understand why that's difficult to comprehend
>>
>>3284141
This.
>>
File: 1456586311446.jpg (4MB, 2419x2313px) Image search: [Google]
1456586311446.jpg
4MB, 2419x2313px
An interesting thing I found was U.S and Soviet diplomatic relations. I believe this also heavily helped with damaging U.S and Soviet relations later on in the future. Apparently Roosevelt and Colonel Faymonville (Who was appointed as diplomat) wanted to provide the USSR lendlease pretty much without anything in return. Some military attache however did not approve of this, and, weirdly enough, they sent out an Anti-USSR diplomat into the USSR as well (Standley). I'll dump some citations I've found
>>
>>3284377
>While Faymonville's personality engendered hostility and suspicion in his uniformed colleagues, his attitude fitted well with President Roosevelt's own policies. Like Roosevelt, he was an ardent advocate for and implementer of the policy of giving the Soviets everything they requested without seeking any quid pro quo.

>Standley was a veteran and disciplined 'sailorman'. As former US Chief of Naval Operations, he was accustomed to working within a clearly organized chain of command. Thus, the combined problems of having Faymonville outside of his jurisdiction and Roosevelt's style of diplomacy by means of personal and special emissaries frustrated him immensely. In addition, Standley did not share Faymonville's affinity with the Russians. In fact, he hated Communism and found the Soviets with whom he dealt to be a group of people seeking to take advantage of American goodwill so long as the Americans were willing to be exploited.

>Standley was not alone among the American personnel expressing these opinions. Most of the embassy staff and, most notably, the US military attaches to the Soviet Union disliked Roosevelt's policy and harbored distrust and suspicion of the actual embodiment of that policy in Moscow, Philip Faymonville.
>>
File: 1422899876952.png (743KB, 1384x1496px) Image search: [Google]
1422899876952.png
743KB, 1384x1496px
>>3284379
>Standley's fear that his role in US-Soviet diplomacy was becoming superfluous was not mere paranoia. While Standley was in Washington direct communications between Roosevelt and the Soviets continued unabated; Stalin and Roosevelt exchanged notes that continued to bypass the US Embassy in the Soviet Union. One observer even contends that 'Hopkins was now more than ever "Roosevelt's own, personal Foreign Office'".

>Aside from agreeing to Standley's request that he receive copies of all correspondence between President Roosevelt and Stalin, the Roosevelt administration was not overly receptive to Standley's complaints. Standley's 'drastic measure' of returning to the United States to discuss his position in the wake of the Willkie visit failed to make the administration more cognizant of the difficulties embassy personnel encountered when dealing with special diplomatic missions to the Soviet Union. Indeed, it had an opposite effect by lessening the administration's faith in their current ambassador and increasing their dependence on trusted ex-officio advisers. One of these was none other than former Ambassador Davies, who himself maintained a steady stream of correspondence with the President and Harry Hopkins advising them of his interpretation of many aspects of the Soviet situation.

>In his memoirs, Standley wrote, '... it became increasingly obvious that the Soviet governmental authorities were attempting to conceal from the Russian people the nature of the extent of the aid...'.This is precisely what he said at the 8 March gathering of American correspondents at the Embassy in Kuibyshev. The press was amazed when Standley told them that the remarks were not 'off the record', and they ran to their offices to break the news.

>President Roosevelt also received numerous telegrams and letters from outraged citizens demanding Standley's recall
>>
>>3284400
Finally this is where shit starts going down the gutter:
>As the public decried the apparent outrage and the debate raged on in Congress, Soviet reaction to the remarks was apparently also swift. On 10 March Soviet Ambassador to the United States Litvinov met with Joseph Davies and stated that he could not understand the rationale for Standley's 'attacks'.48 Foreign Minister Molotov then met with Standley on 19 March and stated simply that he ' . . . did not question my [Standley's] right to make the remarks attributed to me but speaking frankly he did not agree with me'. In the same telegram Standley added, 'In conclusion I stated that I hoped my remarks would not have a detrimental effect on American-Soviet relations. Molotov stated, "No, I do not believe so; perhaps they will have a useful effect in America".

>James Burns, now Executive of the President's Soviet Protocol Committee, was less optimistic. He believed that it branded Russia 'an ingrate before the world' and 'left a scar because it hurt Russia's pride'.
>>
>>3284131
Victory in Germany was already assured. What they were trying to do was outmaneuver each to get the best possible advantage over the other in their upcoming conflict. You could argue that the Cold War started immediately after the October Revolution. It's just that Germany had the misfortune of being stuck between the blocs.
>>
>>3284409
And this is where the U.S starts going "THE COMMIES ARE INFILTRATING OUR SEATS OF POWER"
>The struggle between Michela and Faymonville had become too public and in July 1943 the Army Chief of Staff's office investigated it. The report was initiated because General Marshall had 'received information charging that Gen. Faymonville was refusing to cooperate with other U.S. missions in Russia and that his personal and official conduct was so pro-Soviet as to raise the question on some persons' minds as to whether he was being blackmailed by the Soviet Government'.Furthermore, much of the report was written based upon information given by Michela, 'General Faymonville's principal opponent in American diplomatic circles in Moscow'

>The report covers a wide variety of issues, ranging from the various suspicions that Faymonville was working with the Soviets, to Michela's worry 'about the "pinks" who surround the President' and the possibility that if Michela resigned one of the "pinks" would be appointed military attache. It proved impossible for the author of the report to determine the truth as to who was or was not a Soviet spy, but he did recommend that'... the War Department immediately relieve Brigadier General Joseph A. Michela and his assistant, Colonel Roswell, and that as soon as this is done, the papers be transmitted to Mr Hopkins requesting his assistance in removing General Faymonville and replacing him by a competent civilian'

Last post will be on the false accusations Faymonville received to get his Pro-USSR ass out of the embassy.
>>
File: 1447013902041.jpg (86KB, 540x717px) Image search: [Google]
1447013902041.jpg
86KB, 540x717px
>>3284416
And, finally, Faymonville being accused of some meme-tier and serious-tier stuff

>Apparently without his knowledge and any opportunity to defend himself, Faymonville has been secretly investigated upon request of the War Dept. on the suspicion that he is guilty of such charges as:
(a) Indulgence in homosexual practices
(b) Personal debauchery and responsibility for debauchery in his Lend/Lease organization
(c) Being blackmailed with result he is unduly friendly and helpful to Russia and therefore not properly protecting the interests of the U.S.
(d) Failure to co-operate properly with other American representatives in Russia.
>>
>>3284419
Might as well wrap this up with a conclusion:
>One issue that remained constant in all of the disputes of this period was the fundamental question of the nature of US policy toward the Soviets. Faymonville was often accused of treason because he was 'too pro-Soviet'; that is, he provided the Soviets everything they asked for. Yet, this was actually US policy, as expressed by the chief executive, President Roosevelt. When embassy personnel struggled against Faymonville, they were actually doing so against Roosevelt. In essence they were doing so because they felt that Roosevelt and US policy was wrong. More specifically, Michela had problems with Faymonville and his Lend-Lease staff because they gave the Soviets material without demanding significant intelligence information in exchange. Likewise, Standley, as reflected particularly by his outburst to the press, expected public expressions of Soviet gratitude in exchange for the Lend-Lease material. Both were essentially either attempting to shape US foreign policy or to chart their own foreign policy course.

>Of necessity, this relatively brief examination of the events and issues characterizing the first years of US Soviet co-operation in World War II raises more questions than answers. Given the limited scope of this study, Of necessity, this relatively brief examination of the events and issues characterizing the first years of US Soviet co-operation in World War II raises more questions than answers. Given the limited scope of this study, one clear conclusion emerges. It is that full disclosure of the events and diplomatic relationships of this period could not fail but to bring discredit upon the US personnel involved.
>>
>>3284131
Truman had the right idea how to deal with soviets, sadly FDR was a colossal fanboy of Stalin and couldn't stop sucking his dick.
>>
>>3284433

Thanks for the read anon
>>
>>3284788
No problem, if you want more than these citations then here's the whole PDF
http://sci-hub.cc/10.1080/13518049908430404
>>
>>3284131
The fact they cooperated AT ALL is amazing, not sure which bizarro universe you're living in.

The Soviets were literally an Axis power for the first part of the war and the Western Allies had considered bombing them. Former president Herbert Hoover called for America openly supporting the Finns with weapons during the Winter War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mj7biOwRks
>>
>>3284906
>The Soviets were literally an Axis power for the first part of the war
That some new layer of degeneracy you come up with anon
>>
>>3284906
FDR was a communist faggot anyway, it's no surprise he loved to choke on Stalin's cock.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.