[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was there an unspoken agreement to not kill kings or nobles during

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

Was there an unspoken agreement to not kill kings or nobles during battle or were they fair game like everyone else?
>>
>>3280922
>for fucks sake
My LORD We should find cover!

No Need my trusty cock sucker, my target will protect me!
>>
>>3280922
Depends in the situation and place really.

In Europe and the Middle East the aristocracy and the royalty did have some sort of chivalry wherein ideally the Quality was to be spared the butchery of fleeing soldiers in battle and are instead to be captured. To think nothing of the ransoms, especially the astronomic ransoms you could demand for a monarch's life.

Its different in dynastic squabbles though, someone has to fucking die.
>>
>>3280922
Two things.

1. Armor was incredibly effective during the medieval period. It would take concerted effort to kill a fellow nobleman you couldn't just lazily swing a sword and take his head off like you would a peasant.

2. A dead noblemen isn't worth anything. Ransoms were extremely important.

An example of the two things at work can be found in 1168 when the brothers of Lusignan ambushed the Earl of Salisbury. The attempt was to kidnap him and hold him for ransom and political leverage but because the Earl was returning from pilgrimage and in supposedly safe lands he was unarmored. This resulted in his accidental death and the subsequent banishment of Lusignans.
>>
In the Battle of Muret, King Peter cried "I am the king! I am the king!" but was killed regardless
>>
File: richard-iii-injuries-140916b.jpg (407KB, 620x1150px) Image search: [Google]
richard-iii-injuries-140916b.jpg
407KB, 620x1150px
>>3280922

He says, on 23rd August.
>>
Peter Bru/Basil shot Richard the Lionheart with a crossbow from the ramparts of the castle at Chalu. Richard was walking around observing the siege without his chainmail and was shot in the shoulder. He broke the bolt off and a surgeon was called to get it out but more bits broke off. Richard pardoned Peter and is said to have awarded him a pension but following his death Mercadier flayed Peter alive and hanged him.
>>
ransoms

also, which way is easier to win

if you enemy knows he can surrender or if you are out to kill them
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.