[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently watched this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0171.jpg (50KB, 640x767px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0171.jpg
50KB, 640x767px
I recently watched this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQHBAdShgYI) video by CGP Grey, where he asserts that the only reason that the teletransporter really frightens us is the continuity of consciousness.

However, this same criterion applies to general anaesthetic and sleep. If that's the case, then unfortunately sleep abrogates the criterion we have for personal continuity, and so kills us. I recognise Parfit claims that this "doesn't matter", but I don't see my own permanent death as sow thing that "doesn't matter". If anything, it is of utmost importance. Why bother planning for a future I won't exist in?

This(http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1049286) CNN article presents the idea concisely, as does this (http://existentialcomics.com/comic/1) comic

I've been having sleepless nights lately, so I just want to see if any philosopher has addressed the continuity of consciousness specifically.
>>
OP already made this thread sage fuck off you've already ended your stream of consciousness more than 1670 times
>>
>>3279683
Shut up. I was hoping someone with expertise or education in this field would come along.
>>
>>3279557
Personally if the clone has my memories and my exact personality, then as far as I am concerned, that is me, as I am he. I see no reason to be concerned.
>>
>>3279557
you're sentient and alive when you are asleep, but you have more of an argument for general anesthetics. continuity of consciousness only frightens people who don't understand humans' place in the world regardless. you're a biological being and your consciousness only matters in this frame for all intensive purposes.

"Permanent death" is literally a biological function to make sure the individuals with the highest fitness are not being out-competed by similar organisms. I don't know about the evolutionary history of the aging process, but I'd hypothesize that aging was first introduced as an adaptation which allowed the species to outcompete other similar species in a highly populated niche.

I've had insomnia and other sleep problems since I was young, so I have a lot of experience with intermittent sleep. I believe that every REM cycle modifies the continuation of your previous sentient state, so if you get less sleep it is more intact and visa versa. This explanation would explain why getting 7-8 hours of sleep is superior to getting 5-6 or 9-10 hours of sleep regularly from how I view it. The mind needs a partial reset period for some reason; you're going through the process of change as you sleep, so you are the same person when you wake up.
>>
This is interesting to me because I have this autistic sci fi story that i imagine in my head, and recently I had one of the characters in it "resurrected" from the burnt but preserved remains of his body, and I wondered....would he really be the same person? Or did he die and just be copied? Was the ghola is Children of Dune really Duncan Idaho? Are we all being copied moment to moment? It felt weird justifying this characters resurrection and even though it's up to me in the confines of my own made up universe it still feels like the resurrected character is a clone, not the same person.
>>
>he believes the self exists across periods of time rather than as a set of discrete states each corresponding to a specific position in the dimension of time, each infinitely narrow moment representing both the birth and death of an entirely new entity
well there's your problem anon
>>
>>3283909
your mind is different from moment to moment in very minute ways on average. if your mind gets exposed to a strong electrical current through electroshock therapy or something else, then it will change very rapidly over a short period. if you're in a stable coma where no mental damage occurs, your mind is going to be very similar throughout the coma period.

if the character resurrected from the remains, then it is an incomplete clone in my opinion (sort of like Gandalf the grey's resurrection as Gandalf the white, but this involves the supernatural).
>>
>>3282681
then why be afraid of alzheimer's disease? if your brain loses your memories and personality then according to you, that person is no longer you.
>>
>>3283967
That's a false equivalence, in the former case my previous incarnation ceases to consciously exist, and by extension ceases to suffer. I also never made the claim that personality and memories were the sole proof of my existence, merely that the difference in existence between me and a clone of me with my exact memories is so negligible as to be unimportant.
>>
>>3284010
it's unimportant to the world, but it's important to you personally. you are your brain and your brain doesn't have a reason to care if a clone of it pops up as soon as it stops functioning
>>
File: miriam.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
miriam.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
“And what of the immortal soul in such transactions? Can this machine transmit and reattach it as well? Or is it lost forever, leaving a soulless body to wander the world in despair?”

— Sister Miriam Godwinson, “We Must Dissent”
>>
>>3284026

>it's unimportant to the world, but it's important to you personally
But that's not really the case simply because I won't be around to miss my life. When I cease to be I will also cease to know that I ever was. I will be a total non-entity.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.