[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do /his/ believe the actual ultima Thule was located?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: Thule Map.jpg (57KB, 613x486px) Image search: [Google]
Thule Map.jpg
57KB, 613x486px
Where do /his/ believe the actual ultima Thule was located?

The old Brittish chipmunks believed, after scouring old texts, that it must've been ireland or iceland at most.

Surely this cannot be the case, as the old texts refer it to a 6 day voyage north from England with stories about sleeping moose leaning against trees.

Surely they must've arrived at the outskirts of Norway, considering a ship at the time could on average do 12km/h. There's no moose on Iceland or Greenland - surely Thule must've been somewhere in Scandinavia - the question is, where?
>>
>>3277099
>What is mythos?
It doesn't matter if and where it existed, it manifestited itself in tought and action already.
>>
>>3277111
All that exist of Pytheas descriptions were that of it existing in the north, sleeping moose and a place where the world ends and the ground turned into goo..

Yes, it's mythos but since no actual archeology have found traces of greeks in the northern reaches other then the british isles it's fun to thought experiment what location he actually meant.
>>
>>3277099
Finland
>>
>>3277135
Was he talking about this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasputitsa
>>
File: thule.png (928KB, 1500x1623px) Image search: [Google]
thule.png
928KB, 1500x1623px
Thule is located where I put a red circle.

It was no ice there during the ice age so early settlers could have lived there.
>>
He describes a farming settlement at the arctic circle in the north of Britain which took 6 days sail north to reach from some other point. If we ignore the arctic circle we can speculate it was an island in the Hebrides, Orkney or the Shetland islands. It would have been feasible for him to sail there along common trade routes.

If we take into account the arctic circle, this leaves Lofoten in Norway, an island that receives warm water from the gulf stream and was inhabited at the time. Though it was less feasible for them to sail there, I can't find evidence of trade between Britain and Scandinavia across the north sea at that time.

>>3277135
Why would there be traces of greeks when pytheas was the only greek who got there?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.