[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it actually possible to reach a point where you are genuinely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Alex_Grey_Painting-300x290.jpg (44KB, 300x290px) Image search: [Google]
Alex_Grey_Painting-300x290.jpg
44KB, 300x290px
Is it actually possible to reach a point where you are genuinely calm about life? I was reading stoic material, and the big point I got out of it is that you take things as they come and don't get upset over petty things. I just find it hard to imagine being like this, for example even breaking a mug by accident would make you feel bad and annoyed

How did they do it?
>>
>>3274900
I'm so calm right now, I'm neglecting my duties and obligations. It's ok though, everything will turn out alright.
>>
They did it by knowing that life is perceptiveness.

Their perception was that things are how they are, we can't change them, is beyond our control.If we can't change them, why get upset?
>>
I think so. It's a spectrum. On one end, everything pisses you off. Mugs breaking, plans getting rained out, running out of instant coffee, etc. On the other end is not getting upset at all with anything. You only get upset when you dont get something you want. And if you realize that those things arent worth truly desiring you don't bat an eyelid. I think. Its certainly hard to get to that point
>>
>>3274900
Yeah, take a tranquilizer.
>>
>>3274900

As one grows older, you notice more units of order that persist in our world of entropy. The peaks and valleys of our life seem drastic and then, as we experience, our continuing range of experience levels what were once mountainous peaks. That flash of nipple is exciting the first time but then, what was a peak, gets replicated over and over again in society.

Calmness, as a reaction to experience, is gained when you suffer the most humiliating pains and go crazy on the most decadent pleasurable sensations. Smoking crack with hookers can surprisingly get old. As I said, what were once unique peaks become the same as everything else.

In order to get you "excited" (you did survive all the trauma and all the self-hurt after all), you'd require some truly decadent or truly powerful shit to rile you up. Remember you've lived a while. The illusion of permanency becomes apparent once you review your cognitive frames in memory. Hell, the illusion of power (over one's self) and the illusion of happiness become apparent.

Note this doesn't get rid of sadness or depression but the realization helps release the burden of those times where it was on you and you failed other people. A lot of people change but the the brain's prioritizing of negative events means that every failure is trotted out to you. Presumably because it was a matter of survival. The good things will not kill you in life. The bad things can, at the very least, harm or klll. So memories of the bad, that we survived, loop far more often then memories of the good.

So to sum it up, your brain maintains memories of patterns in this world. The very novelty of these patterns wears off as we experience them. To get back to that world shattering high of some emotion, you'd have to adjust future encounters to be constantly more intense. Unless the intensity increases exponentially, you start to get more calm about patterns you seen and dealt with.

But we still need emotion as weights on value and judge
>>
>>3274928
I am calm. Calmer than you.
>>
>>3274900
Study and practice.
>>
>>3274900
>breaking a mug
But it's normal for a mug to break when it falls, isn't it? These are things that happen every day. You don't live in a world where mugs don't break.
>>
>>3274900
Read Spinoza
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXjSukyeptA

Posting some calmcore
>>
>>3275171
Good insight
>>
>>3274900
Stoicism is alive in the modern day; they're just called Stoners now though
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.