[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't Iceland and Ireland conquer the new world and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Why didn't Iceland and Ireland conquer the new world and establish a global hegemony?

They had the most privileged geographical positions in Europe when it came to that
>>
Ólafur pá refused the throne of Dyflinn, thus dooming Iceland and Ireland to an eternity of seperation. Otherwise we would've had an entirely white North america
>>
>>3271086
Because Iceland was poor and just a province of Norway, while Ireland was poor and either controlled by the English or divided into small unorganized parts.
>>
>>3271132
Iceland was unified and independent for over 300 years
>>
>>3271086
Poverty

Also the Spanish, there's a reason no one else began colonization until at least the very end of the 16th century, mostly in the 17th century. Spanish naval power and force projection in the new world would've btfo anyone else trying to claim something. By this time Ireland was more and more dominated by the English

Iceland was unbelievably poor for most of its history, and has such a tiny population. The estimated population to start a settlement is generally thought of as around 500 people give or take. Iceland could've have mustered this if they had a real reason to, but it would basically be a island wide effort outside of fishing which they could do regardless. Say if gold or spices, or some other marketable and easily retrieved or transported commodity existed in the the Northeastern New World for them to claim. If that were the case the Spanish or someone else would already be there

Nothing like that did exist and plenty of English, Breton, Basque, and Icelandic fishermen already exploited the valuable cod and had seasonal drying stations
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Ireland
Make of that what you will.
>>
>>3271086
Ireland was too busy being divided and later under the control of the English. If they had united early (such as with Brian Boru surviving) then they would have had a great advantage in becoming a Portugal or Dutch Republic of the Atlantic.
>>
Better question is why did the Norse just up and leave Vinland? Was there nothing there that made it worth staying?
>>
>>3272321
More profitable to just keep raiding Europe.
>>
>>3271086
blame the normans
>>
Iceland tried - what do you think Greenland and Vinland were? As for Ireland, there was no united Irish state at the time, just a bunch of small statelets with no hope of launching expeditions to the New World... and Britain, which did, and incorporated the Anglo-Irish in its efforts.
>>
Why didn`t (country wich wasn`t independend) annex all of Africa they had the perfect geographical position.
>>
File: bravo1.png (198KB, 354x408px) Image search: [Google]
bravo1.png
198KB, 354x408px
>>3271086
>How do things work?
Threads like this will kill /his/.
>>
>>3272321
>Was there nothing there that made it worth staying?

No. Greenland was the end of a pretty long supply chain. Newfoundland, the Maritimes, and Quebec all presented way too far of a distant to get anything to market and the wood, furs, and fish didn't have enough of a demand at that time especially a demand for that cost of transportation

I'm writing an alternate history series that tries to place N. America into the Western economic and cultural sphere several hundred years earlier. I did pretty extensive research on resources in Newfoundland, shipping, settling patterns, resources and desires of the Norse explorers, etc. and the only thing I could come up with was precious metal deposits. The only resource that at that point in time would warrant the trip over and settling and the island would eventually be dominated by Hanseatic traders
>>
>>3272960
>>3272321
I would like to add that both Greenland and Vinland had settlements during warm period, and they ended along with it., as winters got especially cold.
>>
>>3274183
The site at L'Anse aux Meadows is barely a settlement though more of a base camp, and Greenland originally had the commodity of ivory from Walrus tusks to trade
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.