[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people say "the ends don't justify the means"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Why do people say "the ends don't justify the means" is an absolute truism?

Like what if I'm dying and I could take some life saving drugs (that aren't harmful), but my wife says "Don't the ends don't justify the means" but when questioned she just says "Drugs are immoral"
>>
>>3268453
>Like what if I'm dying and I could take some life saving drugs (that aren't harmful), but my wife says "Don't the ends don't justify the means" but when questioned she just says "Drugs are immoral"

What?
>>
>>3268455
I probably shouldn't have included death in the example.

You are in chronic pain and wish to take some powerful drug to reduce it. Your friend says that’s wrong, the ends don’t justify the means, and taking drugs is simply wrong. You ask her Why? After all the drug isn’t harmful and isn’t addictive. She says even so taking drugs is immoral. Notice that any answer would be an appeal to higher ends, which we covered before. She has no better answer.

This is the example I was reading
>>
>>3268453
>Like what if I'm dying and I could take some life saving drugs (that aren't harmful), but my wife says "Don't the ends don't justify the means" but when questioned she just says "Drugs are immoral"

you realize that "ends justify the means" is usually used for situations where people walk through corpses to get what they want, not this gay shit, right?
>>
>>3268461
Why would taking medicine be immoral?
>>
>>3268466
My question was supposed to be "why do people always say the ends don't justify the means "
>>
>>3268464
honestly now a days killing people isn't even necessary, just money and a smart plan. Pretty easy,
>>
>>3268475
Are you on crack?
>>
>>3268453
Because the ends DON'T justify the means. If you truly believe that killing jews is immoral, then you shouldn't do it even if it WOULD result in a better world for everyone.
>>
>>3268475
I dont think that example was the best. If you put in terms of morality or violence and chaos resulting in a greater good we can see why people would say the ends do/dont justify the means. Ones moral compass and perception in my opinion is the answer to this question. If you can see the forest from the trees, the end justifies the means, if you're more of a tree from the forest kinda guy, then it could be the opposite.
>>
>life is better than death
Why do people say this is an absolute truism?
>>3268461
>pain is bad
Drugs are immoral.
>>
>>3268674
Because something is better than nothing. The known is better than the unknown and our underlying fear of our own mortality and death is so fucking ingrained into us, humans cant propogate the species and fulfill their biological job if theyre dead
>>
>>3268685
>something is better than nothing
>muh STEMsperg memes
Fuck off.
>>
>>3268691
>le bachelor of attendance asshurt man
Another excellent post, fellow redditor :^)
>>
>>3268715
You need to go back
>>
>>3268691
Id love to have a discussion regarding lifes value over death, but you just spewing shit doesnt really leave any ground for me to work off
>>
>>3268728
Why would I leave you ground? This planet belongs to me.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.