[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were japanese castles useful at all? I've read most of them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

File: Himeji_castle_in_may_2015.jpg (335KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Himeji_castle_in_may_2015.jpg
335KB, 1280x853px
Were japanese castles useful at all? I've read most of them were never directly attacked, and were mostly a symbol of power.
>>
>>3267890
But that's not true at all.
Sieges were't exactly the same but it was similar enough with soldiers scaling walls etc.
I think at least one of them was burned down and the emperor's palace was set on fire more than once.
>>
>>3267890
The main tactic in sieges in the late medieval period was to surround the castle and starve the defenders out.

That alone shows they were effective in their purpose.

> I've read most of them were never directly attacked

Most surviving castles were built in the Edo period. When the Edo period began no one expected it would be 250 years of unprecedented peace, so they continued to build fortifications of the latest type for some decades after the fighting ended.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.