[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the Persians try to invade Armenia more than they did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Shapour_I_statue.gif (262KB, 343x693px) Image search: [Google]
Shapour_I_statue.gif
262KB, 343x693px
Why did the Persians try to invade Armenia more than they did any other Roman territory?
>>
>>3262819

Many Zoroastrians there. The Armenian nobility is basically Iranian. Close proximity.
>>
>>3262819
>try

I always find modern Armenia's relatively good relations with Iran amusing. Its like the Turks beat them so hard they went crying to anyone who was even slightly less abusive, ie Russia and Persia.
>>
>>3262819
Armenians were seen as kinsmen by the Persians in the same way they saw other Iranian people as part of the family of Aryans. On top of that, even when Armenia became nominally majority Christian, there was always a rather huge number of Armenian Zoroastrians there. And historically even around the time of the Achaemenids if not the Medes before them, the Iranians have had a large influence on their culture.

>>3262905
I mean, this isn't really true in the context you are saying here. Armenia was always seen as a country/nation/state/people that had a lot in common with the Iranians. It produced a lot of good horse breeds, Armenians always had major influence and standing in the Achaemenid, Arsacid, and Sassanian dynasties and many powerful Armenian Zoroastrians were part of the Wuzargan. You could also find that Armenians were the largest ethnic group in the Iranian empires military after Iranians themselves.

Even going into the Safavid, Afrashid, and Qajar period they had decent relations.
>>
>>3262819
First of all they considered Armenia to be Eran, unlike most other roman-held territories in the Middle East that belonged to the Aneran category.

Second, look at the fucking map. If you attack the persians it's either from Armenia or from Mesopotamia. Mesopotamia saw as much war as Armenia if not more.
>>
Oh, if we're talking about the early sasanians (like Shapur I in the OP), it's also important that Armenia was under the rule of the Arsacid Dynasty (same as Parthian Empire) and therefore actively hostile.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.