[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone expand on this idea? >books to read >shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 8

Can anyone expand on this idea?
>books to read
>shit to watch/listen to
>>
>>3261291

In what possible sense are we created in the image of the Universe?
>>
>>3261291

Are there any religions with a pantheistic god?
>>
>>3261390
YES. thank-you, i was struggling to come up with the words. im fascinated by the idea of it.
>>
>>3261291
Nonsense. Stop posting.
>>
>>3261390
christianity you fucking idiot
>>
>>3261291
>DUDE, what if God is, like, EVERYTHING?
>>
>>3261425
more believable than the prominent religious beliefs that somehow wriggled its way into the modern world.
>>
>>3261403

possibly sufism, hinduism, buddhism can be construed in this way too. Also read Spinoza.

Pantheism is more logical than monotheism imo
>>
>>3261291
Meister Eckhart

but if you share such a meme image you probably don't really have a significant enough background in philosophy or theology to follow. I'm genuinely not knocking you
>>
>>3261291
>that image
Babby's first pantheism
>>
>>3261467
>>3261491
Thanks for sharing some sources, noted them all down for some heavy reading later.
>>3261501
everyone has to start somewhere.
>>
>>3261325
Did you not look at the picture?
>>
Who here Christian -> Deist -> Atheist -> Pantheist?
>>
>>3261540

""""Christian""""" -> atheist -> Deist -> monotheist -> pantheist
>>
>>3261535
Those pictures are all colorized tho outer space doesnt actually look like that
>>
>>3261408
>christianity
>pantheism
>>
Hello i am the demiurge
>>
File: laughing while thinking.png (14KB, 165x205px) Image search: [Google]
laughing while thinking.png
14KB, 165x205px
>>3261291
that internet image macro really made me think
>>
>>3261632
So what? The structures are still similar. Color is pretty irrelevant, it's a narrow band of em spectrum we've evolved to notice.
>>
File: Graziano-WhiteLight.png (226KB, 585x487px) Image search: [Google]
Graziano-WhiteLight.png
226KB, 585x487px
>>3261291
Look into
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_H._Pribram
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bohm
Then look into
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e91D5UAz-f4
and
https://aeon.co/essays/how-consciousness-works-and-why-we-believe-in-ghosts

A good introductory work that has issues is The Holographic Universe by Talbot.

I can't recommend Consciousness and the Social Brain by Michael Graziano nearly enough though.

Maybe read Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson as well.
>>
>>3261695
haha incredible, added to my notes thankyou.
The Holographic Universe sounds like the perfect starting point, Exactly what i was looking for.
>>
Read Spinoza, that's kinda similar to his perception of God.
>>
>>3261450
More believable, and also meaningless.
>>
>>3261798
got 'The Ethics' on my to read list, Spinoza was incredible for his time.
>>
>>3261291
This is one of the dumbest pictures I've ever seen.
>>
>>3261835
Why?
>>
>>3261837
Only a braindead retard would look at superficial similarities between barely accurate pictures of cosmic structures and animal biology (and I mean VERY superficial) and then pretend that there's anything meaningful in it.
>wow some structures are vaguely weblike
>wow some things are symmetric
>wow some things look chaotic on first glance
>>
Die first then think pal
>>
>>3261859
it asks the question. it taps on the surface of some interesting ideas.
>>
The only person I would consider to be a pantheist worth reading would be Spinoza.
>>
>>3261669
Its pretty relevant when you decide to notice inane patterns between completely unrelated things because "the structures are still similar"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia
>>
File: 0.jpg (389KB, 1280x1838px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
389KB, 1280x1838px
>>3261569
Christian --> atheist --> igtheist --> agnostic --> pantheist
>>
>>3261979
No, the colors are still pretty irrelevant because you can make a black and white version and it would communicate the same idea. The colors aren't what's making the compared images look similar. And even if what you're arguing now is correct it has nothing to do with the point about colors not mattering.
>>
>>3261291
All is one and one is all
>>
>>3261291

The Universe is contained within God.

>>3262156

Roman Catholic-> Atheist-> Pantheist-> Lutheran-> Roman Catholic-> Orthodox Christian
>>
>>3263155
God is not a sentient being.
>>
>>3263184

We cannot know what God is and isn't unless He reveals Himself to us.
>>
Then it is not the god religious people refer to when they say god.
>>
File: tumblr_mz2gkwIyq91sjjdtyo1_1280.jpg (118KB, 730x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mz2gkwIyq91sjjdtyo1_1280.jpg
118KB, 730x1024px
>dualism
Lol plebs
>>
>>3261291

GOD IS NOT A METAPHOR FOR ANYTHING —THERE IS YOUR "EXPANSION".
>>
>>3263155
Universe refers to what exists. It is definitively uncontained. Either "God" is within it, or it itself.
>>
>>3261408
No.
God exists outside of creation but can interact with it in Christianity
>>
>>3263190
>He
>Himself
>thinking in such a male human-centric way.
SHIGGYDIGGY!

'God' is not a being, and it sure as fuck doesn't have a penis. Idolater.
>>
Natural phenomena have many interesting commonalities. City grids, ant colonies, and galactic superclusters all follow the same emergent behavior. The universe is aware and is using DNA to understand itself subjectively. It's spoopy.

Also empiricists and sciencetists need to die.
>>
>>3261892
I suspect you may do too much acid. However, it may surprise you to learn that pretty much any religious person would agree with you. Christian God is supposed to be omnipresent and omnipotent, so it stands to reason that His universe is Him and that we are created in His image.
>>
File: index.jpg (9KB, 191x293px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9KB, 191x293px
>>3261291
this is relevant to your interests
>>
>>3264335
Don't worry, everyone dies eventually.
>>
>>3261408
>Christianity is pantheistic
>you fucking idiot
Oh the ironing
>>
>>3261535

So "created in the image of" means "bears a passing resemblance to in part"?
>>
>>3261669
>The structures are still similar.

What the FUCK are you talking about? Do you mean they're all vaguely round? Do you mean they're all made of matter? If those count as "similar", are there any two things in existence that DON'T count as similar to you?
>>
>>3261291
>>>/pol/
>>
>>3261632
the universe is everything, anything in the universe is representive of the whole therefore anything inside the universe is the image of the univerese in one way or another we are the universe as much as the stars and the planets except we can ask questions about ourself and how we exsist as the universe
>>
>>3263877

Impossible. In b4
>HURR GOD CAN DEFY LOGIC!

Not according to Christianity he can't.
>>
>>3264667

So your """argument""" is that because we exist within the Universe, therefore the Universe is God and created us in its image?
>>
>>3261408
Christianity is panentheistic, not pantheistic;
>>
>>3264672
in a way yes, we are an expression of the universe.
>>
>>3264685

Like rocks and dogshit are, you mean? Wow so inspire, much deep mang.
>>
>>3264687
no man, rocks and shit exist outside the universe /sarcasm

But yes, minerals and waste form a part of the natural cycle, as well.
>>
>>3264691

So to clarify, when you say "the Universe is God and created us in its image", what you MEAN is "we exist inside the Universe"? Thanks for the profound insight, you moron.
>>
>>3264687
you literaly are an expression of the universe so is a peice of shit so is your moms smelly vag, if you want it to be deep then w/e if you see it for what it is then cool, god is the universe your an expression of that and are therfore made in the image of god, deal with it
>>
>>3264704
>>>/x/
>>
>>3264710
nice rebutle, there is more than one relgion and more than one view on god, if your view is a big guy with a big beard and white robe than cool for you kid, but my view is a little more realistic and grounded in science and reality btw its called humanities
>>
>>3264718

You "view" is submoronic.
>HURR we exist!
>DURR der is a universe!
>HERP universe mus be god!
>DERP OMG SO PROFOUND DUDE
>>
Stoic Logos
>>
>>3264723
you can trivialize anything with hurrs and durrs it dosnt make you smart my red dit freinds, but do tell us your view id love to hear it
>>
>>3264734

Nigger your position trivializes itself.
>>
>>3264736

[no argument]
>>
>>3264738

I'm glad you admit it.
>>
>>3264736
so you dont actualy have an agument? your just bored? and fishing for replys? literaly a moron
>>
>>3264752

What argument do you imagine I need to refute your
>DUDE WHAT IF, LIKE, THE UNIVERSE IS GOD????
>>
>>3264753
id like to hear your view, because just saying "dude (your opinion) hurr durr) im apposing your opinion without saying anything meaningful hurr durr" is not an agument lets hear your view if its so profound and intelligent, if you cant comprehend what being an expression of the universe means and take it only at face value then your a retard
>>
>>3264773

My view is that your view is meaningless woowoo.
>HURR PROVE ME WRONG

That which is asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
>>
>>3264783
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe
>>
>>3264790

So like I said, your "evidence" for your moronic claim that the universe is god and created us in its image is "dude, like, the universe exists!"

Moronic.
>>
File: are we vases.gif (4KB, 228x282px) Image search: [Google]
are we vases.gif
4KB, 228x282px
>>3261291
It's a nice thought, but your brain is essentially a pattern recognition machine, so it's going to make false associations in patterns rather regularly, and in that image's case, is bending over backwards to do so.

That said, there are legitimate pantheistic religions that treat the universe as a god which we are all part of, and the like. It's certainly a common stance among some of the more famous intellectuals in history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pantheists
>>
>>3264794
you literaly on the universe my man, chill out kiddo
if you want some religious backing for the guy saying we are the universe read the wiki article he linked but here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahman you are not really saying anything other than "no you" why dont you put forth somthing? have a porper discussion? your agument consists of this " this can is made of tin" you-" hurr durr tin, saying its tin dosnt actualy make it tin" him-" links the video of the tin being made and or the product of what the tin is made of by the manufacturer" you-"hurr durr tin, tin is a word your a moron claiming a metal is tin dosnt make it tin"
>>
>>3264794
honestly, you're and idiot,
>>
>>3261291
basically there is a general repetitive pattern that most things in the universe follow. throw the Fibonacci sequence at nearly anything and it matches up.

conceptually from the micro to the macro level everything follows a pretty straight forward set of rules (symmetry as per pic) limited by the amount of energy present in the system to do shit with.

on a personal level, this is a personal journey thing. just watch a lifetime of of david attenborough and spend a lot of time staring at the night sky.

general list, kinda in order -

- catastrophe BBC doco with baldrick to see how random it all is
- orbit BBC doco
- walking with dinosaurs / monsters / the rest of them
- how to grow a planet BBC for biosphere balance and triffids
- how the universe works on netflix for a show that is lots more awesome CGI than egghead talking at a camera
- cosmos for babbys first black science guy and where science comes from
- a lifetime of david attenborough nature docos for you and all your future generations
- how big is the universe and how small is the universe BBC documentaries
- phd-tv on youtube. watch their quick hand drawn videos
- go to khan academy and watch the chemistry and organic chemistry videos
- go to youtube and watch "primitive technology" channel to tie it all back in together

you're plugged into the universe. listen to it.
>>
>>3264871

then when you kind of see where you are in the universe and wonder what to do with it all, watch jordan peterson - the necessity of virtue on youtube
>>
>>3264697
"Inside" might be the wrong preposition. And of course when you reduce it to those words, it doesn't sound profound. But so what? Profundity is an illusion.
>>
>>3264753
And what's wrong with that? Your greentexting as if OP were a 15 year-old stoner (quite contrary to his argumentation) is supposed to prove what, exactly?

Posit something yourself or fuck off.
>>
>>3261632
I wonder if there are structures in space that look like a human anus?
>>
>>3261390
Islam
or atleast I believe in a pantheistic Allah

>>3261291
I believe this.
would explain how he's omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient and omnibenevolent

i don't think it's a metaphor at all, I believe God actually is an Infinite Singularity. think about it.

the universe is infinitely powerful because it controls itself, it is everywhere because nothing is outside it, it is infinitely knowing because it's self aware meaning that it's intelligent and probably has developed some sort of character with whom it interacts with humanity.

"but anon he's not good"
define good. good could be stability and maintaining order in the reality he's created. why would a God disrupt the illusion of reality he's created btw? that makes no sense. that's why we don't hear from him, he truly wants to challenge us into becoming ultra woke

is god the universe? no he's much more, he's the fabric of reality meaning that he can bend reality into whatever he wants.

think about it, there can't be infinite regress. something must've set it all in motion.

wether god is a floating man in space, or if he doesnt exist isn't feasible. he's the infinite singularity. that's why there aren't any other gods. because tehre can be only one everything.

anyways the big question is what role we play.
i always think about how heat death and pre-big bang times are oddly the same.
we're close to achieving A.I. superintelligence and we're only a few thousand years into existence. there's a fuckton of years left before heat death.
could our existence just be God's rebirth?

anyways, I am convinced that God exists and that he's Allah because Allah can be pantheistic according to the scriptures and because his ways are so similar to how the universe operates.

the fact that abrahamistic religions, especially islam, are so extraordinary and never leave tracks behind and everything just fits into eachother is too much coincidence.

if Islam was a false religion it would've died out like paganism
>>
>>3265507
It would've died during the Islamic golden age, as would Christians during the renaissance.

the fact that they still are here in modern times means they are exceptional
>>
>>3264204
but He is a character
>>
>>3261540
Muslim -> Theist leaning agnost -> Muslim pantheist

the main reason people turn agnostic is because they refute the believe in a floating astronaut who controls everything, but believe in a higher power

he's that higher power, driving force
and he's also sentient. he's a character and he's interacted with us before.
>>
>>3265422
There's a reason why it's called a black hole, son
>>
>>3264675
oh wow never heard of panentheism.
im not pantheistic but panentheistic.

>>3265543
>>3265531
>>3265516
>>3265507

woops
>>
>>3263218
those religious people do not think for themselves.

blind followers with a tunnel vision. who thinks about God will often become agnostic and when they think a bit more they will become believers again as pantheists or panentheists.
>>
>>3261801
anything is meaningless. welcome to nihilism.
>>
>>3263155
How is the Orthodox Church worse than Lutheranism?
>>
>>3265507
>pantheistic Allah
Bid'ah Say'iah, you will go straight to hell.
>>
>>3265583
ever heard of islamic philosophy? it's thought in high school

also: i meant panentheistic
and islam clearly says that giving Allah anthropomorphic characteristics is haram and shirk which is in his eyes, irreparable.

yes i will go to hell but not for this reason
>>
>>3264675
I thought only ORDOBROS :DDD actually took up that panentheism thing seriously.
>>
>>3261291
Afaik Sikhism is fundamentally pantheistic.
>>
File: 1499289170263.png (125KB, 267x252px) Image search: [Google]
1499289170263.png
125KB, 267x252px
>>3261291
Post yfw you realize we all live in the eye of a giant named Yu Nivers
>pic related
>>
>>3261291
Thomas Campbell

MyBigToe
>>
>>3265543
>he's also sentient
Proofs?
>>
>>3261291

not universe, reality
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.