[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the first World War a true total war? Or was only the Second

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1489959956913.png (23KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
1489959956913.png
23KB, 231x218px
Was the first World War a true total war? Or was only the Second World War a true total war?

On a global scale that is
>>
>>3259491
Both. Bigger? WW2
>>
>>3259491
Total war is just when a nation as a whole (industry, agriculture, people, media, etc.) are all mobilized for the war effort. Both world wars are an excellent example of it.
>>
>>3259539
Did the U.S. go into total war mode during WW1?
>>
>>3259905

> Implying the U.S. went into war mode during WW1
>>
>>3259905

Yes. Wilson had anybody who criticized the war arrested and thrown in jail. It was the most savage attack on individual freedoms for any US president, before or since.
>>
>>3260551
ah yes, having counter-intelligence agents in every protest and literally everyone spied on and categorized in a database with a mass internment system ready to go at a moments notice is much less authoritarian.
>>
>>3262513
Look up the alien and sedition acts. The Constitution was shat on in a very real way during the first world war everything else since then is still pretty paltry.
>>
>>3259517

Actually it could be argued the opposite.

Right from the beginning of World War I, states began coalescing for total war. While the war wouldn't really be "total" until early 1915, it was immediately apparent that, even in the event of a short war, industrialized powers were going to need a large amount of economic organization and rationalization in order to survive. As the war dragged on, this became even more paramount especially in the realm of raw materials.

World War II was different. Unlike World War I, all the belligerent powers learned of the resource shortages and improvisation that was necessary in World War I, so there was a huge degree of stockpiling of critical materials or at least ensuring the continuing supply. Where supply was threatened, the war shifted. (IE, Swedish Iron Ore and Narvik)

However, on the domestic end all belligerent powers, even to a degree the Soviet Union, made sure that the war was not as "total. Germany was haunted by the German Revolution so the NSDAP ensured the continuation of a consumer economy until early 1943 with the Battle of Stalingrad and the rise of Speer.

Britain and America underwent rationing, but the economy didn't rely on wholesale appropriation of industry for arms production but rather the traditional order model.

Only the Soviet Union, with its centralized economy and mass industrialization went right into the war with a Total War economy, but thats arguably because its economy was already very similar pre and post Barbarossa.

TLDR : World War I had more of a total economy right from the start than World War II.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.