[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a single major historical figure born before 1500 that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

Is there a single major historical figure born before 1500 that wouldn't disgust modern humans in some way? I can't think of a single known person of that time who didnt either engage in or support something that we now find morally apalling.

Columbus was a pretty despicable person by modern standards, at least according to what I've read. Oftentimes, people use that to justify their support for removing monuments and public artwork dedicated to him, which makes some sense I guess. But as far as I can tell, very few people would protest a statue commemorating Genghis Khan, or Montezuma II despite the fact that they were probably even worse.
>>
I heard Columbus was bad even for the time. I haven't read any contemporary accounts so I can't tell you if that's bullshit or not
>>
>>3257453
yeah i mean he got kicked out of Italy for how much of a piece of shit he was
>>
>>3257453

You can read Wikipedia:

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus#Accusations_of_tyranny_during_governorship
>>
File: 533784238.jpg (678KB, 1024x678px) Image search: [Google]
533784238.jpg
678KB, 1024x678px
>>3257445
"For I, with the force I have under me, which is not large, could march over all these islands without opposition. I have seen only three sailors land, without wishing to do harm, and a multitude of Indians fled before them. They have no arms, and are without warlike instincts; they all go naked, and are so timid that a thousand would not stand before three of our men. So that they are good to be ordered about, to work and sow, and do all that may be necessary"
>>
>>3257502
I kinda feel bad about Taino. They had a distinct, unique culture that just got wiped out in a matter of decades.
>>
>>3257453
he was a man who lived during the spanish inquisition and got arrested by Spain for cruelty, so you tell me
>>
>>3257445
>But as far as I can tell, very few people would protest a statue commemorating Genghis Khan, or Montezuma II despite the fact that they were probably even worse.
Well they were not white so its okay.

Remember, its only bad if whites do something morally appaling.
>>
File: IMG_0420.jpg (56KB, 641x530px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0420.jpg
56KB, 641x530px
>>3257445
Lol a thread on /int/ yesterday asking Latin Americans about Columbus had responses that were overwhelmingly in favor of him, giving him a positive portrayal. Very interesting imo
>>
>>3257445
>But as far as I can tell, very few people would protest a statue commemorating Genghis Khan, or Montezuma II despite the fact that they were probably even worse.
are there any monuments to either of those in your municipality? There is a statue of Columbus in mine, it was only put up like 15 years ago because muh italian american pride.
>>
>>3257521
That's wrong though.
>>3257524
That's because most 4chan Latin Americans are white skinned mongrels who hate their own country and would go to europe given the chance to do it. Truly a pathetic group of people.
>>
File: mqiaamQpCB1qf1xcgo1_500.jpg (69KB, 500x575px) Image search: [Google]
mqiaamQpCB1qf1xcgo1_500.jpg
69KB, 500x575px
>>3257502
> While I was in the boat I captured a very beautiful Carib woman, whom the said Lord Admiral gave to me, and with whom, having taken her into my cabin, she being naked according to their custom, I conceived desire to
take pleasure. I wanted to put my desire into execution but she did not want it and treated me with her finger nails in such a manner that I wished I had never begun. But seeing that, (to tell you the end of it all), I took a rope and thrashed her well, for which she raised such unheard of screams that you would not have believed your ears. Finally we came to an agreement in such manner that I can tell you that she seemed to have been brought up in
a school of harlots.
>>
>>3257546
That's a mongrel larping as a native. I bet she gets offended if she gets called a native.
>>
>>3257546
so this is how it all begun
>>
File: Based Colon.jpg (60KB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
Based Colon.jpg
60KB, 630x354px
>>3257524
Because we love based Colon, we even still build statues of him

We would not exist if it where not for him

>>3257535
Literally the only people who hate him are retarded leftists
>>
>>3257905
>If you don't love him you are a leftist!
Literally a mongrel who just wants to be white. Pathetic.
>>
>>3257445
Jesus of Nazareth
>>
>>3257919

Maybe... although it does seem somewhat immoral to claim to be the son of god. Even if he truly believed it, that doesnt really excuse the fact that he caused people to believe in something that almost certainly isnt true. Their belief often led them to commit irrational and even violent acts. Christianity MAY have been more progressive and generous than the other established religions at the time (I'm not well educated on this particular subject), but in the modern world, its difficult to justify the spread of misinformation like that, especially considering the drastic and damaging consequences it often had.
>>
>>3257445
>>3257521

The main difference between Robert E. Lee and Montezuma II is that Montezuma II doesn't have a large group of living people believing the Aztec Empire will rise again and want human sacrifices to come back. Mexico does not have to deal with "Neo-Aztecs" (although a Neo-Aztec movement would be fucking hilarious).

Also, the current Mexican government is divorced from both Spain and the Aztecs. Confederates were traitors to the existing U.S. government. Can you think of any country besides the U.S. that allows monuments and flags of traitors at their state buildings?
>>
>>3258484
>inb4 /pol/
Some countries still have holocaust monuments up. Something about not knowing history and being doomed to repeat it.
Also pro-tip: The US was founded by Traitors and Terrorists. The South lost but that doesn't mean you should shit on the men who fought for their states/country, even is misled by a poor cause. Not all Wehrmacht troops were Nazi just like not all CSA troops were slave owners/slavers.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.