[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how important was wine consumption in antiquity and the middle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1444930246852.jpg (72KB, 599x335px) Image search: [Google]
1444930246852.jpg
72KB, 599x335px
how important was wine consumption in antiquity and the middle age for average and rich people alike ?
>>
>>3257170
very important, I don't think anyone could last without it
>>
Did people of antiquity understand the consequences of drinking alcohol while pregnant? Surely not everyone in Rome had FAS
>>
>>3257400
this needs an answer
>>
>>3257400
No. Alcohol was more clean than water anyways so people probably would have preferred a disfigured baby over a dead one.
>>
>>3257879
>this fucking meme again
>>
>>3257891
Refute.
With Sources.
>>
>>3257400
Uhh......
>>
We know that it was very important for a lot of people for very long periods of time, we know, for example, that sogdians introduced grape wine into china, and that sogdian merchants and aristocrats kept cellars full of wine, and wine became a symbol of the western barbarians and the regions where they made such a precious commodity (aside from erotic dances and camels, that were also common iconography for sogdians). Li Po lived in the golden era of indoiranian influence in China and he mostly talks about wine, getting drunk and watching western erotic dancers.
>>
Wine was used to sterilize water. Most of the wine people drank was extremely watered down
>>
>>3257400
My understanding is alcohol was often cut with water back then, so it might have been safe. Pregnant women today can drink O'Doules and be fine.
>>
>>3260800
Correct, Alexander's soldiers were even noted to complain when Alexander started to drink unmixed wine to fit Persian customs.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.