[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who was the best Naval commander in history? I nominate Chester

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

Who was the best Naval commander in history? I nominate Chester Nimitz. What he did simply could not have been accomplished by any other Naval commander in history. What do you guys think makes a truly good Naval commander, and how is it different from that of an army commander?
>>
File: admiralyi.jpg (114KB, 250x365px) Image search: [Google]
admiralyi.jpg
114KB, 250x365px
>>325504
>>
What do you honestly think Nimitz did that was so special? Not much really, US leadership in the Pacific left a lot to be desired compared to other theaters of war. Don't get me wrong, he was OK, but he's guilty like all the rest of failing to incorporate economics into the broader war strategy. Only 4% of carrier strikes were targeted at Japanese merchant shipping but they did 13% of the damage.

It's just stupid reading about how admirals and even guys like LeMay prolonged the war for months by completely ignoring this issue.
>>
>>325530
Battle of Midway
>>
>>325530
The problem is, that up until the end of the war, the only way to do a carrier strike against Japanese shipping is to send the CVs deep into the Japanese perimeter. They'll have land based air support and you won't.

Now, you might be able to gut the Japanese merchant marine, but there's also a pretty good chance they'll sink your carriers. It's an extremely high risk high reward strategy anytime before 1944.
>>
>>325558

Like 70% of the credit for that is Spruance's.
>>
>>325584
What makes you say that?
>>
>>325504
>Hey yo! Who's the greatest admiral in history??
>By history I mean the last 100 years xDD
>>
>>325665
I mean in absolute history. Who do you think
>>
>>325771
Nelson.
>>
File: Bol,_Michiel_de_Ruyter[1].jpg (333KB, 2500x2871px) Image search: [Google]
Bol,_Michiel_de_Ruyter[1].jpg
333KB, 2500x2871px
>>325771
de Ruyter
>>
>>325903
>je zult nooit de Zilvervloot veroveren
>>
>>325686
Sorry we don't have over 1000 years of nearly ceaseless war under our belts. Goddam.
>>
>>325854
Seconded
>>
>>326053
As much as I love Nelson, the only real answer is this nigga. >>325519
>>
>>327330

Nelson fought against enemies of equal or near equal technological development and training.

Yi Sun-Shin beat up a bunch of barely armed merchantment with real warships.
>>
>>327697
Yeah, but he had significantly fewer warships and designed the most effective ships of the war.

It leaves something to be said that the Japanese started getting their ass beat and didn't even try to make upgrades.
>>
>>327720
>have canons
>enemy doesnt

woooooowwww so impressive that he won outnumbered
>>
>>325519
Gets my vote too. Third favorite weeb triggerer.
>>
>>325519
The thing that people forget about Admiral Yi was that he had ships armed with actual cannons while the Japanese did not.

This is not to say he was not a good admiral, just that he had a technological edge.
>>
File: HoratioNelson1.jpg (2MB, 2074x2500px) Image search: [Google]
HoratioNelson1.jpg
2MB, 2074x2500px
>>325504
>>325854
>>326053
>>
File: Admiral Tegetthoff.jpg (398KB, 1576x2017px) Image search: [Google]
Admiral Tegetthoff.jpg
398KB, 1576x2017px
Probably not the best, but he got a great painting
>>
>>325923
Dat was Piet Hein, lompe kut
>>
>>325504
Anyone from the Dutch Republic's Golden Age desu
>>
File: blasdelezo.jpg (934KB, 1200x902px) Image search: [Google]
blasdelezo.jpg
934KB, 1200x902px
BLAS DE LEZO
L
A
S

D
E

L
E
Z
O
>>
Didn't Nelson lose like half the battles he was ever in?
>>
>>325854
This is objectively the only right answer
>>
>>330779

AFAIK, he only lost one battle, at Tenerife.
>>
>>330834
That's a lie! He's undefeatabled!
>>
>>325558
>skill not luck
>>
File: Themistocles.png (151KB, 779x1360px) Image search: [Google]
Themistocles.png
151KB, 779x1360px
>Sly politician
>Pretty much created Greek navy
>Tactically sound
>Triremes
>Battle of Salamis
>Accredited to saving Greece and the Western world from filthy Persians
>>
>>331313
I was going to say this guy but I couldn't remember his name or the name of that battle or Google it before you posted.

Good work.
>>
>>325504

Wasn't he the Chief of the Navy in 1941?

>be him
>know with absolute certainty the bulk of the Jap Combined Fleet has left port
>know with absolute certainty they're going to attack
>do absolutely nothing and furthermore, have everyone in Pearl Harbor LITERALLY sleeping in the morning of Dec 7 1941
>blame and crucify the local naval commander of Hawaii after that.

10/10, bretty gut :-DDD

Maybe he was keked by FDR into letting things happen though.
>>
>>325519
Came here to post this this nigga saved Korea from being BTFO
>>
>>332606
You're gonna need some citations, son.

Especially since he only became CNO in 1945
>>
>>327822
Pretty much this

It's like shooting fish in a barrel when the Nips have a joke navy. If they were equal in armament and naval engineering, then Yi BTFO'ing out of Japan would be astronomically more impressive.
>>
>>325903
Pisses me off that Aert Jansse van Nes is criminally overlooked
>>
>>327789
Well, the Japs had muskets. Boarding actions were heavily in the favor of the Nipponese.
>>
>>329681
Admiral Persano I'm KuK.
>>
>>332654
If they ever got that close...

Honestly, Japs are quite possibly the most overrated people in military/naval warfare. They never punched above their weight.
>>
>>332677
The US was thoroughly above their weight senpai
>>
>>325530
Wasn't it wiser to use submarines for this as they in fact did?
>>
>>325504
>not picking Spruance
>>
>>329639
>Lost his right eye and his right arm
>Fucked mad Mediterranean pussy
>Kicked French ass around the world
>Died exactly how he wanted to fighting like a boss
>Saved England and ensured British dominance of the seas for 100 years
Has any man ever been so based?
>>
File: Robert_Blake.jpg (109KB, 785x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Robert_Blake.jpg
109KB, 785x1280px
>>325504
Helped revolutionize naval tactics. Showed the power of gunnery vs boarding in large naval battles. Defeated the dutch. It is too bad Blake is less well known due to the commonwealth and all that. Nelson is still the best.
>>
>>332654
Could they even board the Korean ships? I thought the turtle ships were completely sealed from all sides apart from the holes for cannons.
>>
>>332606
Haha you conspiracy nuts are such idiots. You don't even attempt to corroborate what you heard you just take hearsay as fact and then make an ass out of yourself when you spew incoherent dribble like this.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.