[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Rise and Fall of the Third Reich considered outdated? I read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Is Rise and Fall of the Third Reich considered outdated? I read it up to the point where Hitler attained power and implemented Nazi government policies, but am wondering if it would be better to read a more recently published World War 2 history book instead of reading the rest of Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Is there anything that makes it stand out compared to other history books on the subject? Also, I am wondering if "Storm of War" is the best choice for a WW2 history book. Thanks to anyone who puts up with my questions..
>>
It was pretty outdated by the time Shirer published it in the 1960's. I'd personally recommend Richard Evan's third reich trilogy.
>>
>>3252140
Thanks.
>>
>>3252131
the board game of this book is pretty good.
>>
If it were published today the author would be thrown in prison for homophobic hate speech for his discussion of the sexual orientation of various Nazis so I suppose it is outdated in a sense.
>>
>>3252131
I wouldn't call Rise and Fall a historical book due to it being written by a journalist. Its historical perspective is seriously sub par and Shirer goes out of the way to place blame on some allies who had no other choice at the time in some sort of attempt to make democracies vow a WWIII would never happen. It is superb for accounting events and the German rational behind them however.
>>
>>3253118
the book about the board game is even better
>>
>>3253667
>>3252131
Yeah, this is why I read it, along with getting the perspective of someone who lived there not long after the war ended. Very interesting perspectives, very thoroughly researched documents and testimonies. He does go off on a tangent sometimes, and has that journalist streak to make things a little dramatic (I think he something around 50 "final blows" or "fatal decisions" of the third Reich), buts a good book overall.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.