[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Besides being shiny, what did gold have going for it that made

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: indian gold shirt.jpg (39KB, 634x424px) Image search: [Google]
indian gold shirt.jpg
39KB, 634x424px
Besides being shiny, what did gold have going for it that made many different races and peoples assign it value?
Especially before industrial applications.
>>
Rarity of course
>>
It doesn't tarnish unlike iron.
>>
Goddamn I hate Indians so much
>>
>>3251740
It's one of the solid chemical elements that are the least reactive to others, while being the most malleable of metals.
It's not perishable. Your material possessions can be destroyed, but not your gold: you'd still have the same quantity
>>
>>3251745
Why?
>>
>>3251745

DonĀ“t worry, he died.
>>
>>3251745
You jelly?
>>
>>3251740

It's not as laughably easy to forge gold coins like the clay tokens and tablets they were using as currency before.
>>
>>3251745
btw this is isn't /pol/ considering hating Indians is part of 4chan culture /g/ and /fit/ mainly
>>
File: bennylava1.jpg (10KB, 307x242px) Image search: [Google]
bennylava1.jpg
10KB, 307x242px
>>3254286
Wrong. Hating Indians is nu-anon culture. Golden age 4chan is completely pro-Indian.
>>
It wasn't good for much else. You can't make armor or weapons out of it. It's easy to melt down into coins, and it's limited in quantity. It's perfect for use as a valuable currency. It's only recently that we found out it's a good conductor.
>>
File: metro.jpg (715KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
metro.jpg
715KB, 1920x1200px
>>3251740
Why not just use boolet as ammo? Is ingenious idea, comrade! If ever capitalist inflation is of issue, then just shooting of bullets out of gun! is simple as that.
>>
>>3251740
Low reactivity meant it lasted longer than any alternative.
>>
>>3254504
Is there a name for that mask Russian soldiers wear? I always see it in stuff like battlefield.
>>
>>3251745
FUCK YOUR INDIA BECOME SUPER POWER BY 2020
>>
>>3254549
There are a bunch of different helmets that have those visors, but the only one who's name I know is called an altyn helmet.
And yes, the visor is bulletproof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEqrnb3R15k
>>
>>3251740
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/16/indian-businessman-famed-for-240000-gold-shirt-beaten-to-death

Gold is rare
Gold is ridiculously pretty. You can polish it until it's practically orange and blazes like the sun.
Gold is soft and easily formed into jewelry and coinage
Gold doesn't corrode
Gold has unique chemical properties that make it hard to fake.
>>
>>3251740

>malleable and can therefore be made into whatever
>doesn't corrode over time like iron or copper
>scarce

So basically, it's permanent in the sense that it doesn't rust or tarnish over time, it's scarce enough that it makes sense to use as a currency, and it's easy to work with to make jewelry, coins or whatever.
>>
>>3251740
> silver is rarer than gold
> platinum is rarer still
> gold is still propped up as THE precious metal
is this similar how deBeers hides tons of caches of diamonds to artificially increase it's rarity and not to turn into complete meme?
>>
>>3251893
>he died
How? When?
>>
>>3255489
Nevermind >>3255155
Damn this makes me sad for some reason.
>>
>>3251740
Great conductor.
>>
>>3254549
If you mean the helmet on the left, it's an Altyn I believe
>>
How about diamonds. What use do they have besides jewelry?

Genuinely asking
>>
>>3256604
There are a lot of diamond cutting and grinding tools, owing to diamonds being extremely hard. In fact, that's what most of the diamonds mined around the world are used for.
>>
>>3256620
Yes, but we can make synthetic diamonds too, that are even better; diamonds are valuable because DeBeers keeps the supply scarce to inflate their prices. The diamond producers marketing is also very good at duping westerners into believing in bullshit like engagement rings with diamonds that have to cost a bare minimum of 3 wages, kek
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.