[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is religion just a virus of language? >Once you hear it,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1498366854066.jpg (215KB, 1058x1058px) Image search: [Google]
1498366854066.jpg
215KB, 1058x1058px
Is religion just a virus of language?

>Once you hear it, you remember it
>Once you think about it, if you're a little convinced then you become kind of scared to not believe it and start feeling you should, because it tells you to
>Once you kind of believe it, you start trying to collect more evidence in your daily life to make you really believe it
>Once you believe it it, you're compelled to tell other people to save them from not hearing it because it tells you to
>Once you believe it, you're compelled to continue trying to engrave it stronger and stronger into your mind under the guise of devotion and prayer because it tells you to
>Once it fully engraves itself into your mind, you deny all evidence that it's irrational because it states that it is a transcendental truth as opposed to a worldly truth, and it tells you to have faith
>Even if you realize that this was all a big mistake on your part, you deny it because it's easier to keep living the lie than admit you've wasted your life believing nonsense, and to give up on your dream of heaven

It all makes sense now...
>>
If youre a retarded atheist and not even agnostic maybe.

Without religion there would be no civilization you understand that?
>>
>>3250967
>Without religion there would be no civilization you understand that?
How does this refute my hypothesis? It's an unrelated topic Some viruses can be accidentally helpful
>>
>>3250967
False. We'd have more existential crises and use of escapism to get away from said crises though.
>>
>>3250963
>>Once you believe it it, you're compelled to tell other people to save them from not hearing it because it tells you to
>>Once you believe it, you're compelled to continue trying to engrave it stronger and stronger into your mind under the guise of devotion and prayer because it tells you to
>because it tells you to
Not all beliefs come bundled with their spreading dogma. True, the ones that don't didn't achieve the same status as the ones that do for obvious reasons but they exist.
You'll also notice some of thoses beliefs without a spreading dogma lack a concept of afterlife.

That's what religion is: a belief with a spreading dogma, a carrot, a stick and a clergy attached.
>>
>>3250963

Not all religions no, Something like a native American religion doesn't fit this, or Jainism, or Daoism.

It fits christianity and islam to a T though, but they have more in common with a political ideology than a spirituality.
>>
>>3250963
Ah, yes, Dawkins's unscientific meme theory, with his same ass shit arguments that he applied to religion.

How original, OP.

Besides, it's utterly retarded.
In that case, EVERY fucking idea is a virus, and the same old question of what is the difference between a worldview and a religion remains.

Yes, i know the fag was a pretty good biologist(though stubborn as fuck regarding his ideas) and when all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail, but i wish he stopped doing bacteriopomorphism on everything.

>Genes are like rapacious microbes;
>Incorporeal Ideas are like rapacious microbes;
>Internet memes(ironically) are like rapacious microbes;
etc.
>>
>>3251066
>That's what religion is: a belief with a spreading dogma, a carrot, a stick and a clergy attached.
What?
A lot of religions don't have one to all of those things.
>>
>>3250963
I believe most the most influential religions began as philosophical preachings and motivational fairy tails but the texts were cultivated into instruments of war to keep the masses in fear and obedient to the powers at be
>>
>>3250967
For the most part, religion has hindered scientific discover (and in essence still does to this day); without religion civilisation would be more advanced and the planet wouldn't be as ravished as it is today.

That being said a lot of art and literature has been influenced by religion so I suppose the lack of religion would also have made our societies emotionally colder
>>
>>3251081
Beliefs, not religions.
>>
>>3251106
Is Islam not a religion?
Is Hinduism not a religion?
Because those lack atleast part of what you say.

And that's just stuff western fedoras can't bs into "well, it's a bhilosofy, not a religion:-DDD"
>>
>>3251101
t. edgy teenager atheist
>>
>>3251116
Islam has a spreading dogma, a carrot, a stick and a clergy.
Hinduism has a carrot, a stick and a clergy what the fuck are you going on about?
>>
>>3251132
Islam does not have clergy.
Hinduism doesn't have a spreading or unified dogma.
>>
>>3251140
>islam doesn't have a clergy
what are imams
>>
>>3250963
WIND BLOWS
>>
>>3251144
prayer leaders.
They dont have a priestly role.
It's a pretty big thing in Islam.
>>
Religion as a singular concept is uniquely semitic.

Judaism considers itself the ONLY God-given religion.
Christianity considers itself the ONLY God-given religion.
Islam considers itself the ONLY God-given religion.

Notice the pattern?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.