[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were the Populares /ourguys/? Who would support Populares and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1382.jpg (113KB, 814x407px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1382.jpg
113KB, 814x407px
Were the Populares /ourguys/? Who would support Populares and who would support Optimates in the age of Caesar if we equate it to modern times?
>>
I guess, but they didn't really give a shit about the plebs, just a way for them to get power as tribunes as oppose to the senate
>>
File: 1501110607741.jpg (21KB, 675x450px)
1501110607741.jpg
21KB, 675x450px
>>3249043
I mean I suppose you could say he was.. POPULAR!

ba dum tsh
>>
File: political-spectrum.gif (10KB, 351x385px) Image search: [Google]
political-spectrum.gif
10KB, 351x385px
>>3249043
populares = populist far-left far-right authoritarian collectivist extremists

optimates = classical liberal radical centrist individualists
>>
File: 821.gif (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
821.gif
3MB, 640x360px
>>3249515
>optimates = classical liberal
>>
The world is not black and white.

The early Populares such as the Gracchus brothers genuinely wanted to help the plebs to fix institutional problems that had arisen within the Republic from over expansion.
With things such as the Patrician class buying up the Plebs land to create mega-estates farmed by recently captured slaves drove up class inequality and simutanously ruined the ability to support an army that was needed to defend the larger Republic. Since only landed Roman citizens could serve.

Later Populares such as Caeser merely played the Plebs off for for his own politcal gain and power, leading to conditions that killed the Republic and created the Empire.

Whilst later Optimates such as Cato the Younger genuinely tried to preserve the stoic ancient Roman traditions to save the Republic.

Republic >>> Empire tbqh
>>
>>3249043
Roman political divisions weren't ideologically motivated. The optimates were simply already established political powerbases that occasionally joined up to keep upstarts down. The populares were merely upstarts banding together to take down established powers.
Often enough it didn't even take one generation for a new man to move from populares to optimates. Cicero switched upon leaving his consulate. Pompey Stabo switched when Sulla offered an alliance.
The opposite happened too: optimates that lost support, either in funds or auctoritas switched to the populares. See Pulcher and Caesar, or arguably even Catilina.
>>
>>3249515

Literally makes no sense
>>
>>3249529
Well, some of their more moderate members inspired classical liberals with their writings.... so there is a quasi connection
>>
We need an Augustus now to purge the oligarchs.
>>
>>3249632
>so there is a quasi connection
Nope, not even that

>Well, some of their more moderate members inspired classical liberals with their writings
Cicero? Because only kind of thing of inspiration I can understand would be optimates protesting against tyrants.
>>
>>3249570
this
>>
>>3249650
>dude muh honourable middle class lmao
Equites like Sejanus were as bad as the plurocrats they replaced.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.