[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi /his/ Who was the last "norman" king of england?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Stepan_Blois.jpg (119KB, 284x448px) Image search: [Google]
Stepan_Blois.jpg
119KB, 284x448px
hi /his/

Who was the last "norman" king of england? Was it the one who lost the province of normandy, namely king john? did the angevin kings consider themselves norman? the whole thing confuses me desu
>>
pls respond
>>
>>3245167
Did the Normans call themselves that, or is it more a term used by thier foes and later historians who like to put things into tidy packages.
>>
>>3245371
i think they did identify themselves as distinct from the english and the french, and i do think the word used to distinguish from others was in fact "norman", but as the rulers of england started to mingle with mix the locals the term norman was still often used but it had different meaning and it probably became useless after a certain point as the real "normans" accepted mixed kids into their ranks.
>>
>>3245167
http://general-history.com/stephen-last-norman-king-england/
>>
>>3245167
Henry II was a son of the Count of Anjou, but his father raised him as a Norman.

I think that Richard I mostly considered himself Aquitanian, due to the influence of his mother.
>>
A general rule from more modern historiography, Henry I is considered the last Norman king. As his lineage broke due to the death of his son, thus Stephen of Blois became King.

Though Henry II, despite being brought up in Anjou, to an extent understood his Norman heritage. Yet despite this, Henry II is considered the first of the Angevin kings, and of the Plantagenet dynasty.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.