[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Chinese philosphy worth diving into? Does it answer any logical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: portrait of confucius.png (940KB, 644x1141px) Image search: [Google]
portrait of confucius.png
940KB, 644x1141px
Is Chinese philosphy worth diving into? Does it answer any logical or existential questions that have yet to be answered by Western philosophers, or is it mostly stuff about how to live everyday life?
>>
>>3243774
Philosophy about how to live everyday life is more important than philosophy about logical or existential questions. Marcus Aurelius agreed, don't bother him about it.
>>
>>3243774
>Confucian
>How to live a life?
Respect elders, respect family, respect the society.

>Dao
>How to live a life?
Balance yourself. Live in harmony via keeping the balance. Learn to be fluid and adapt to change.

>Legalism
>How to live a life?
Respect the law. Respect the state.
>>
Chinese texts from Spring & Autumn/Warring States period are worth reading.

I would say that Hellenic & Chinese texts represent the highpoint in many areas. I don't know what topics interest you, though.

The Hellenes give a better account of metaphysics and abstract morality, if that's what you're looking for. I haven't spent much time on the Chinese logic texts from this period, but what remains is short enough that you could easily review it.
>>
File: bagua-feng-shui-colors.gif (26KB, 471x456px) Image search: [Google]
bagua-feng-shui-colors.gif
26KB, 471x456px
>>3243823
>Taoism
>Balance yourself. Live in harmony via keeping the balance. Learn to be fluid and adapt to change.

You sure it's not "trying to be an immortal, eating one's semen after masturbation so that 'jing' isn't wasted, and being autistic about the placement of objects and the construction of buildings because geomancy?"
>>
>>3245637
Those are really just a result of traditional Chinese folk religion synthesizing Taoist principles. Taoism itself doesn't have many mystic elements. Instead it mostly focuses on personal balance and adaptation.
>>
>>3245637
Wtf is that? Taoism comes from the supposed writings of lao tzu and chaung tzu. None of that is in there
>>
>>3243774
Not really. There is a reason philosophy departments very rarely have any focus on Chinese philosophy. The Chinese did not independently figure out term logic, much less the successors to term logic. The only Chinese philosopher I would grant comparison to the best of the West is Zhuangzhi, and that's a maybe.
>>
>>3243774
>Is Chinese philosphy worth diving into?
Always obey those that rule you.

I just saved you hours of reading.
>>
>>3246544
Maybe op isnt interested in the autismo side of philosophy and wants to read about different views on how to achieve peace/joy/etc
>>
>>3246544
Laozi and Zhuangzi beats any other philosopher, period
>>
>>3246563
What does this: "君之視臣如手足,則臣視君如腹心;君之視臣如犬馬,則臣視君如國人;君之視臣如土芥,則臣視君如寇讎。" mean?
>>
>dude be an ant chink and obey your masters lol
>>
>>3246544
What is the successor to logic?
>>
>haha just respect authority dude lmao
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.