[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come Hitler had no interest in an overseas colonial empire,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Howie Taylor map.png (109KB, 1012x646px) Image search: [Google]
Howie Taylor map.png
109KB, 1012x646px
How come Hitler had no interest in an overseas colonial empire, like many German monarchists and conservative nationalists preceding him did?

He didn't seem to mind at all the Japanese Empire taking over european colonies in SE Asia that had belonged to Germany or Netherlands.
>>
>>3232351

>like many German monarchists and conservative nationalists preceding him did?

That was pretty much something that only Kaiser Wilhelm wanted. The Prussian elite actually hated the idea of colonies because they didn't want foreigners to dilute their power. Germany's pre-WW1 naval expansion was a pet project between the Kaiser and Tirpitz.
>>
>>3232369
I'm pretty sure Hindenburg and the DNVP favoured it, even Adenauer was chair of the German colonial club.
>>
>>3232374
Why do Germans seem to have a fucking society/club for everything?
>>
>>3232351
It wasn't the top of his priority but he did respect the older German Empire for their overseas colonies. He renamed streets after Von Trotha and used his genocidal starvation plan for the hereros on the captured Soviet soldiers. Overall, the Nazis realized they were going against most of the world which is why they sought help from oppressed people against the British like the Boers, Arabs and Indians.
>>
>>3232351
Because Hitler was greatly influenced by Karl Haushofer in the 20s and wanted to form a land empire with contiguous borders, not a maritime empire which he wanted to leave to the British.
>>
>>3232374

I was not aware of Hindenburg having a voice in naval matters, but I'm not going to say you're wrong because I don't know. Most sources that I'm read point the blame specifically at Tirpitz and the Kaiser for their mutual desire to colonial empire and imperial navy equivalent to Britain's, something which they felt would make Britain respect Germany more, but actually just made the British freak-out and build a ridiculous number of battleships just to stay ahead.
>>
>>3232378
I read in Mein Kampf that if the German Empire had brought colonial troops to fight in the war the same way France did, it would have been a criminal undertaking, so perhaps that was why he wasn't a fan of overseas colonies.

>>3232384
it literally makes no sense how both the Kaiser and Hitler were such Angloboos, given how hard the Anglos had screwed Germany in both world wars and were making aggressions against Germany in the 1930's, meanwhile Russia was itching for an alliance with Germany, but they both eschewed it because "untermensch slavs" while trying to eagerly pursue an alliance with an Empire that hated them.
>>
>>3232392

It actually makes at lot of sense, at least for the Kaiser. If you asked somebody "who is Britain's greatest enemy" during the 19th century, almost anybody you could have asked would have said "France." This is why it is surprising that Britain and France came to be such close allies during the 20th century, with Germany taking the title of being Britain's greatest rival/enemy. We can't fully appreciate the strangeness of the UK/France alliance during the World Wars because we're viewing it from hindsight.

But the truth is that WW1 just as easily could have been UK + Germany + Austria-Hungary Vs. France + Russia. And that's exactly what would have happened if Wilhelm hadn't been so........erratic.
>>
>>3232392
>it literally makes no sense how both the Kaiser and Hitler were such Angloboos, given how hard the Anglos had screwed Germany in both world wars and were making aggressions against Germany in the 1930's, meanwhile Russia was itching for an alliance with Germany, but they both eschewed it because "untermensch slavs" while trying to eagerly pursue an alliance with an Empire that hated them.
Well if you wanted to secure a land empire in Eurasia, you had to deal with the Russians. And Hitler incorrectly assumed that if he left the seas to Britain, that they could possibly co-exist as two sprawling Germanic superpowers. Instead he triggered a total war between the land, sea, and economic superpowers of the day (Soviets, Britain, and US), violating virtually every principle of strategy in the process.
>>
Treaty of Versailles stripped Germany from colonial rule.
>>
>>3232481

So, if they let Hitler do his thing Britain and France could have their empires? Hitler is kinda looking like that time travelling villain from Wakfu.

>mfw no anglo german empire
>>
>>3232392
Because Hitler unironcially thought he could ally with the UK to take on the US.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.