[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you deal with someone when you're debating, and you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 9QUKAlh.gif (2MB, 374x305px) Image search: [Google]
9QUKAlh.gif
2MB, 374x305px
How do you deal with someone when you're debating, and you know that they're incorrect on a topic and committing very subtle fallacies, but when you explain them to them they don't understand your explanation of the flaws of their logic and just change the topic?

Basically, how do you reason with people who have high informal verbal skills but low reasoning skills and domain specific knowledge, so they are persuasive to the group but still wrong?
>>
>>3231864
You don't.

You leave them to the consequences of their ignorance.
>>
>>3231864
Be even more persuasive to the group. Forget the incorrect person.
>>
>>3231864
realize that history is glorified sophistry and learn to play the game better
>>
File: 1501461228537.jpg (57KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
1501461228537.jpg
57KB, 498x498px
>>3231864
I post this and derail the thread

>the joke being it's always /pol/ who does this
>>
>>3231908
This. Dialectics is dead.
>>
>>3231908
What if my argument is based off of purely logical arguments? Is that still sophistry?
>>
>>3231919
Yes but it won't help you.
>>
Only communicate with people online and always post degrading images with each of your replies
>>
>>3231864
Clearly what you lack is decent smug anime folder
>>
>>3231919
Goddamn it, I wonder if white people are actually this dumb, because this shit is intuitive as fuck. Are you 12 or something? No, are you 9? No, are you fucking 7?
>>
>>3233408
But I'm a nigger
>>
>>3231864
>Basically, how do you reason with people who have high informal verbal skills but low reasoning skills and domain specific knowledge, so they are persuasive to the group but still wrong?
You don't let the battle be between your whole theory and their whole theory, pointing out causality and linking ideas to their fall-out. Instead you focus the attention in on specific incorrectness.

Modern media usage tends towards holistic impressions-based thinking about things, whereas classic logical thinking (autism?) focuses on A-B-C mechanistic logic. Additionally, liars and bluffers tend to sell their lies as whole pieces, so the lies are carried by the plausible or true statements within the whole package, and attacking the whole thing based on the lie component allows the overall lie to appear relatively unscathed. So instead go for the old Socratic reasoning by putting the lie, and only the lie, on the spot.
>>
>>3231864
Why do you think we have smug images in 4chan
>>
>>3233504
This. Find the flaw / lie in the argument and don't let him change the subject by throwing new flaws and lies for you to get baited on. Like a boxer, patiently hit him at this one spot again and again moving forward only when he relents the blatantly wrong point.
>>
One of my coworkers, who has longer experience than me in our field, makes mistakes a newbie would make. His ego is also highly inflated and he cannot grasp the concept of being wrong.

I chose to just humor him and not argue with him because I know that he is convinced that he is superior, and that his wrong ways are actually correct.
>>
>>3233449
You wish you were a nigger. You're surely a dumb eurangutan. Even worse, a racist one, so that's 30 IQ points less.

This shit is fucking intuitive. I'm not even surprised how these monkeys cannot even grasp a simple concept like this one.
>>
>>3233604
>>3233408
>Eurangatang shitposter
>Absolutely assblasted over a reasonable question

What does the book your carer gave you say about tolerating other people?
>>
>>3233523

This.

Ask a question whose only acceptable answer completely invalidates your opponent's point, refuse to get sidetracked and ask that question over and over until your opponent answers or gives up. Even if you have to ask repeatedly for an hour, just keep it up.
>>
>>3231864
put a bullet in their brain, that's the only way or else you have a new H*tler or Tr*mp running around poisoning every one.
>>
>>3234170
Aaand the eurangutan only manages to think of one ""argument"". Unfortunately it's just an acussation.

Who the fuck is this retard? A child? This low IQ racist can only be an eurangutan. Fucking pathetic
>>
>>3231864
Debate is a performance, just use sophistical tricks to make the audience think they are unreasonable and stupid.
>>
>>3231864
>people who have high informal verbal skills but low reasoning skills and domain specific knowledge, so they are persuasive to the group but still wrong

1v1 them
>>
>>3231864
What like when you try to explain to holocaust threads that both sides just use Gish Gallop and shit up the board?
>>
Realize debating is just a game and the people who are willing to follow the rules are not the ones who should

It's like trying to reason with your bullies - sometimes you just have to punch people
>>
>>3231864
Kill them
>>
>>3231864
Just say you are a "radical centrist"
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.