[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would anyone like to speak about folktales, occultism, etc.?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1407025201485.jpg (215KB, 565x678px) Image search: [Google]
1407025201485.jpg
215KB, 565x678px
Would anyone like to speak about folktales, occultism, etc.? I know there was a large depository of scans being passed around, but feel free to share any book recommendations. Does anyone study folklore? Particularly European folklore, it is of great interest to myself. The cross-over of pagan and christian belief, demonology and the occult, all fascinating. Sadly I do not have much to privde but the action of creating a thread on the topic, and a great love for Gothic fiction (which usually is heavily informed by old-world folk stories).
>>
The main frame story concerns Shahryār, whom the narrator calls a "Sasanian king" ruling in "India and China".[6] He is shocked to learn that his brother's wife is unfaithful; discovering that his own wife's infidelity has been even more flagrant, he has her killed. In his bitterness and grief, he decides that all women are the same. Shahryār begins to marry a succession of virgins only to execute each one the next morning, before she has a chance to dishonour him. Eventually the vizier, whose duty it is to provide them, cannot find any more virgins. Scheherazade, the vizier's daughter, offers herself as the next bride and her father reluctantly agrees. On the night of their marriage, Scheherazade begins to tell the king a tale, but does not end it. The king, curious about how the story ends, is thus forced to postpone her execution in order to hear the conclusion. The next night, as soon as she finishes the tale, she begins (and only begins) a new one, and the king, eager to hear the conclusion of this tale, postpones her execution once again. So it goes on for 1,001 nights.

The tales vary widely: they include historical tales, love stories, tragedies, comedies, poems, burlesques, and various forms of erotica. Numerous stories depict jinns, ghouls, apes,[7] sorcerers, magicians, and legendary places, which are often intermingled with real people and geography, not always rationally. Common protagonists include the historical Abbasid caliph Harun al-Rashid, his Grand Vizier, Jafar al-Barmaki, and the famous poet Abu Nuwas, despite the fact that these figures lived some 200 years after the fall of the Sassanid Empire, in which the frame tale of Scheherazade is set. Sometimes a character in Scheherazade's tale will begin telling other characters a story of his own, and that story may have another one told within it, resulting in a richly layered narrative texture.
>>
>>3230578
Arabian nights, correct? Awesome stories!
>>
There is a a tale I Vienna about a being called "Basilisk". A rooster laid an egg, wich a frog hatched. The story basically goes. Some guy wants to go to the fountain to get some water. He then notices a foul stench coming from it. He saw something glitter there and after he told everyone about it a proud Bakerboy decided to go down. He went down the fountain only to be pulled up screaming. He told everyone about seeing a being with the shape of a rooster, a repitlian like tail, "frog" like legs and a crown on its head. The village elder ,or something close to that, told everyone it was a Basilisk, like above said laid by a rooster etc. He said that his breath was poisonous and that the only way to stop it would be for it to see its hideous self. So the baker boy went down with a mirror. The Basilisk saw itself and died due to it`s irritation and rage. Afterwards they threw stones down the fountain and everything was normal.
>>
>>3230546

theres a legend in ireland that theres a thing that cathes you when youre comming home drunk and takes you on a trip trough space and time and brings you back where you were in minutes but it seems like days to you

theres the exact same legend in croatia

how come?
>>
>>3230678
That's a common myth story in Indo european mythology. There's The Wild Hunt, Celtic fae worlds (and the time that passes quickly whilst in there), the story of the underwater kingdom and the fisherman who gets taken there.
>>
>>3230678
My friend has an interesting story of running into a little person, more extremely creepy than interesting
>>
>>3230729
A common trend in most folk tales I would believe, may be a creative way of explaining a sort of depersonalization or existing as time?
>>
An anon shared this in another thread, enjoy:

https://mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.